PDA

View Full Version : calif DMV sucks

victorfb
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
i just came back from the DMV getting my non commercial 5th wheel endorsement. no problem, quik little test, take a picture, and off i SHOULD go. well as i am waiting at the counter the lady comes back to me and says they want to have me do a driving test for them. (just like you did when you were 16 getting your first license). you see they saw me walking with the two canes because i broke my back 10 years ago and figured i need to re-take the driving portion to make sure i can still drive. WTF? ive been driving this way for the past 10 friggin years and been into the DMV countless times, and now just because some idiot (and i mean this first lady i delt with knew nothing. didnt even know what a non commercial class A endorsement was) wants to throw her authority around, i have to be treated like a criminal? this has GOT to be against the ADA (american disability act). i mean if someone walked in with crutches because they broke thier leg, would they have to re-take the test with the broken leg so they can continue to drive while wearing the cast? i dont think so. she tells me because you have trouble walking you need to do this. well not to be rude but i should have said right back to her that because her ass was so big she has trouble walking too, does she need to re-take her test aswell? i swear i think i could have walked faster than she did. i am friggin steaming here. sorry for the rant. anyone know a good ADA lawer? :D

Beer-30
01-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Uh. Did you ever stop and think that it might be their policy that EVERYBODY takes a drive test when upgrading a license?
Or, maybe it's policy that ANYBODY with any sort of physical handicap, however slight, takes a test?
Aw, you're probably right. They saw you walk in the door and decided to screw around with you. It was all personal. Yeah right.
Dude, relax. If it were me, I would applaud them for making sure I could handle it. I would appreciate the chance to show them just how good a driver I am.

victorfb
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
i dont think you are understanding. this test is NOT for the endorsement or upgrade. this is the regular driving portion you took originally for your class C.
besides, nobody takes a drivers test for this upgrade. so no, i didnt stop to think that it was policy. its a 20 question test for the upgrade. now for the dissability reasons i can see it, but they knew i have been driving this way for 10 years.
i dont feel they took one look at me and decided to screw with me, no. i feel they are not useing common sence. this test isnt to see if i can handle driving and towing, its to see if i can drive at all.

FryJet
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Well................did you pass?
F.J.

Beer-30
01-31-2007, 07:10 PM
You're right. They just did it to piss you off. Sorry for my attempt to put you at ease with any explaination.

victorfb
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
yes i did pass the 5th wheel endorsement and recieved the endorsement.
i can now, "temporarliy" tow my 5th wheel legally.
sorry beer30. didnt mean to strike back or anything. but from the way you posted it seemed you didnt understand the entire deal here. the re-test has nothing to do with the towing or anything. i dont have to bring a truck or a trailer. i just need to bring any car just to see if i can still drive. but ive been driving for the past 10 years this way. see were the agrivation is? now i have to spend another day at the DMV. i have no problem driving. i drive anything without any modification or devices. manual shift (stick), automatics, whatever. all my boats have foot throttles. the buggy is a standard vw 4 speed. i just need the canes to walk, not drive. now if this would have happened right after the accident i can see it. heck, the rehab people go over all these steps to see were your disabilities are before they release you. they didnt even think i needed to use hand controls or any devices then either. but still if the dmv would have said back then that i need to re-test, no problem. not 10 years later.

Kilrtoy
01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
You're right. They just did it to piss you off. Sorry for my attempt to put you at ease with any explaination.
can you please lock it, Driving is MY RIGHT AS A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY
it is not a priveledge.

victorfb
01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
oh by the way, i may have thought it be a bit personal since the fist lady i spoke with knew absolutly NOTHING about the 5th wheel endorsement stuff (restriction 41). at first she said i needed a commercial class A drivers license and will need to get a physical card, and bring a truck and trailer in for the drivers portion of the test. i then had to explain to her what a restriction 41 was. she didnt believe me and just at that moment another lady walks over and explains the exact same stuff i had just told the first lady. lady #1 then looks at me with an evil eye like i was just about to say "i told you so" or something. maybe she felt i made her look inferior infront of her fellow workers/managers. see the second lady took over from there and all the way through the entire process and was just about to give me the license when the first lady said hold on a sec. thats what pissed me off.

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
can you please lock it, Driving is MY RIGHT AS A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY
it is not a priveledge.
Listen here you donut eating desk jockey...:D

Kilrtoy
01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Listen here you donut eating desk jockey...:D
I know you aint talking to me, I eat bagels

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 08:08 PM
I know you aint talking to me, I eat bagels
Ohh one of those sophisticated pencil pushers ehh.

Kilrtoy
01-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Ohh one of those sophisticated pencil pushers ehh.
I have graduated to medium ball point pens

mrs.rvrluvr
oh by the way, i may have thought it be a bit personal since the fist lady i spoke with knew absolutly NOTHING about the 5th wheel endorsement stuff (restriction 41). at first she said i needed a commercial class A drivers license and will need to get a physical card, and bring a truck and trailer in for the drivers portion of the test. i then had to explain to her what a restriction 41 was. she didnt believe me and just at that moment another lady walks over and explains the exact same stuff i had just told the first lady. lady #1 then looks at me with an evil eye like i was just about to say "i told you so" or something. maybe she felt i made her look inferior infront of her fellow workers/managers. see the second lady took over from there and all the way through the entire process and was just about to give me the license when the first lady said hold on a sec. thats what pissed me off.
FnA bubba
Hubby has to take 7 tests every 5 years for his commercial and all the freekin indorsments
When he walks out he is ready to go postal:devil:

YeLLowBoaT
Yeah I feel really bad for you... I am very happy that they are giving driving test to those that look like they might not be able to drive safely. Same with them giving seniors driving test...
As far as illegal as far as ADA is concerned, I would say no. driving is not a right and several condtions require by law that they be reported to DMV.

SHOTKALLIN
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe they wanted to make sure that you didn't have George Weller's disease? :D
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2006-09/25353026.jpg
I WISH they would have harassed him.

victorfb
01-31-2007, 08:22 PM
FnA bubba
Hubby has to take 7 tests every 5 years for his commercial and all the freekin indorsments
When he walks out he is ready to go postal:devil:
yes, they really stepped up the commercial test and endorsements for sure. i feel for him.
my test has nothing to do with commercial, or even towing. its only to see if i can drive. no special test, no special equiptment, just bring a car and drive it. i drove in there didnt i?

victorfb
01-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah I feel really bad for you... I am very happy that they are giving driving test to those that look like they might not be able to drive safely. Same with them giving seniors driving test...
As far as illegal as far as ADA is concerned, I would say no. driving is not a right and several condtions require by law that they be reported to DMV.
sorry, i kinda meant that as a sarcastic joke. i know it is not against any ADA laws. and i also know driving is a privilege. i just didnt think after 10 years of driving this way it was that much of a concern. if it was a year later, ok. but 10 years. damn.

Moneypitt
01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
What determines when this 5th wheel endorsement is required? A common toyhauler/travel trailer? Does it really require this endorsement?....Can anyone elaborate??...........MP

victorfb
01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
a restriction 41 is an endorsement attached to your class C license. it is needed to legally tow a 5th wheel trailer that is rated over 10000# and under 15000#. if it is rated over 15000# you need a non commercial class A drivers license.

Baja Big Dog
01-31-2007, 10:30 PM
You could have a field day with a record numbers of posts if you attempted to defend the Calif DMV.
The most usless group of low life, do nothing, bad attitude, over paid (and yes usally FAT) lazy, people that you and I pay for!
Id love to be a manager of an office for a day, talk about cleaning house!!
Its late and Im tired, dont have the time to say how I really feel!!!