PDA

View Full Version : CALLING ALL MECHANICS.. Ford Tranny?

Wet Dream
01-22-2003, 09:51 PM
F-me. A little off subject, but I trust your input guys. Ok, heres the deal. 95 Ford Explorer, 4L, auto tranny. My wife was driving home tonight and it lost forward gears. If you rev it up, you can feel a little grab, but not enough to drive it. I have full reverse which is how it was driven home for about 5 miles. :D The dash O/D OFF light is blinking (O/D butting hasn't worked in months). Tranny fluid doesn't look cooked, but might need a change. Is my tranny toast or could I just need an adjustment?

MikeF
01-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Try adding some more ATF to it and drive it around again. Check in the manual for the blinking light.

Wet Dream
01-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Tranny fluid is full.

DansBlown73Nordic
01-23-2003, 04:30 AM
Sounds like its time to buy a Chevy..... :D

Fiat48
01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
My tranny guy says front clutch is out. that could be anything from a broken snap ring to something major broken. Find a good tranny shop. frown

blown540flattie
01-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Find out what the code is first. Might be a electrical solenoid or sticking valvebody.

AZKC
01-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Pull the codes if ya can, I work at a Ford dealer and we sell alot of those sorry to say :( could be something simple, might can help ya on a deep discount if ya need one. It is one of 4 part numbers all the same price MSRP $1524.53 I can get ya one for around $1300.00 + tax and shipping. Or I might be able to help ya with a dealer closer by your location(dealer discount)
No biggie though just FYI good luck :cool:
KC

Wet Dream
01-24-2003, 08:03 PM
I wasn't looking forward to this. How do I pull the codes if I can't drive it? Will one of those hand held readers from Auto Zone work? This is the second tranny in it. When it gets fixed, its outta here.
AZ, I appreciate the offer. I'll have to see what the verdict is and go from there, but I will definately look you up if its outrageous over here.
[ January 24, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

Wet Dream
01-24-2003, 08:24 PM
I asked this on another board and this in one of the replies...
Most likely
The forward clutch seals are leaking. Test it in manual 1 and 2 and see if it does the same thing. The forward clutch engages once you put it in any of the forward gears and only disengages when neutral or reverse is then selected. Fluid should look pretty burnt by now. Other causes may be low pressure caused by a valve body leak or very low fluid. Any time a filter is replaced the valve body bolts have been tightened. I have found them loose and the later 5R55E has had a lot of gasket blow outs in part because of this. Short of finding a valve body problem, it will have to come out.

ChetCapoli
01-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Autozones scanner dont go older than 96 which is OBDII. I would think if the light is blinking it is an electrical or solinoid problem as stated above. Need to find what the code is then go from there. Hope that helps.
CHET

FordTech
01-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Trans will need to come out. solenoids or electrical will not keep it from moving. the od light is on because of a code more than likely a slippage code. need to get rebuilt or an exchange. those trans are pretty much short lived good for about 80,000. get a trans from ford get a 3/36000 warrantee. hard to beat that deal. A good deal at a tranny shop is not always a good deal if you know what I mean.