PDA

View Full Version : Custom boat motor builders

BADASS38CHEVY
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Who would you recommend for a fuel injected non blown 800hp motor that is the best bang for your buck. Also needs to be a drop in motor.

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Thats a decent hp for an NA motor.
Gary Teague
Brummet
Larry Peto
Bob Teague
Any one of those and not in any certain order either.

mbrown2
01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Who would you recommend for a fuel injected non blown 800hp motor that is the best bang for your buck. Also needs to be a drop in motor.
Pfaff runs a pretty tight operation, good with NA and Blown and pretty sharp with EFI systems..

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
What is the reason for not wanting a blower? It gets expensive to do 800hp NA.

Bow Tie Omega
01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
How about DNE, Dave just built my brother a 825 hp normally aspirated big block. I would think DNE is more then able to handle what you need.
Phone is (949) 631-3781. They are out of Costa Mesa in the OC

BADASS38CHEVY
01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Not sure if I want a blower in a deck boat.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Thats a decent hp for an NA motor.
Gary Teague
Brummet
Larry Peto
Bob Teague
Any one of those and not in any certain order either.
Come on Orange can Sempers atleast make the cut. I mean we do have the fastest motors so far that has showed up to bridge to bridge:D

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Come on Orange can Sempers atleast make the cut. I mean we do have the fastest motors so far that has showed up to bridge to bridge:D
I have no info on Sempers stuff.I just put up my top 4 is all.Pfaff should be on my list as well.4 outta 5 of them are local to me also.

BADASS38CHEVY
01-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Who did that e ticket with I think twin 800hp motors. Those motors sound sweet.

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Who did that e ticket with I think twin 800hp motors. Those motors sound sweet.
It takes alot to get 800hp in NA form,and the parts aint cheap if you want it too last.Big cubes and pricey valvetrain.Your gonna spend some cash definately.

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Jrocket does this mean we agree on something? Or was it an accident. If so I won't hold it against you.

mbrown2
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I would be more worried about your drive surviving with 800 hp versus the Engine surviving. Most builders listed and GT (Taylor performance) here on the boards can build you a very solid 540-580ci motor with a new 3.3 whipple and make 800hp with very conservative boost.....
With the size of block, Cam, and bore/stroke you will need to make 800hp in a NA motor you run less risk with a blown motor and probably better overall powerband and idle.....my .02

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Jrocket does this mean we agree on something? Or was it an accident. If so I won't hold it against you.
Looks to be agreement,not that I have disagreed with you before that I know of?
800hp takes a big crank flying around in there..that alone gets ugly sometimes.But then again so does building turbo motors,my check book had its guts sucked out to do it.Thank god my wife doesnt find out.

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
How much hp does your blown 500efi spit out???

Eliminator 4 Life
01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I have no info on Sempers stuff.I just put up my top 4 is all.Pfaff should be on my list as well.4 outta 5 of them are local to me also.
Its okay Ill still buy the beer in the bass boat:D

BADASS38CHEVY
01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
How much hp does your blown 500efi spit out???
I never did whipple it yet. I was still debating on that.

melbatoast
01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh I just looked at your profile guess I was a little confused, honestly 2-3 lbs. of boost might be the better bet. 800hp na engines run hard all the time. Blown motors only produce when the hammers down.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-31-2007, 11:20 PM
My boss is the whipple king plus we work real good with them since they are right down the road and my boss used to work there..

BADASS38CHEVY
01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Oh I just looked at your profile guess I was a little confused, honestly 2-3 lbs. of boost might be the better bet. 800hp na engines run hard all the time. Blown motors only produce when the hammers down.
I just changed that. I forgot I put that in my profile. I put that in my profile when the boat was being built and changed my mind last minute so I could buy a 36 chevy convertable.

INSman
02-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Gary Taylor builds great motors and maybe offers some of the best "post" purchase customer service around.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131273&highlight=TPI

2forcefull
02-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Ronnie that builds the in house motors for force has built me two 800hp motors, both with 1050 carbs, havn't had any problems with either motors.
they start easy, and run good! I had an EFI 750 hp motor, seems like I had to crank it a lot to cold start, the carb motor I just give it a pump sguirt and it fires right up

shadow
02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383848_1_m.jpg
Ted this would be my dream for a new boat,i think around 40K
Or you could whipple yours for 10k-12k

HALLETT BOY
02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Save yourself a lot of time and grief and call Gary Taylor !

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 09:24 AM
That would be my choice:D
N/A will be a pain to achieve 800hp and you will have to run great gas to keep the motor alive.(I would guess the only + is the ins company might not hit you so hard because there isn't a blower?)
I think a blown 800hp combo will give you everything you need...including drive issues;):devil:

shippingguy
02-01-2007, 10:03 AM
That would be my choice:D
N/A will be a pain to achieve 800hp and you will have to run great gas to keep the motor alive.(I would guess the only + is the ins company might not hit you so hard because there isn't a blower?)
I think a blown 800hp combo will give you everything you need...including drive issues;):devil:
Drive issues will a occur if you abuse it other than that you should be fine. I.E. Dont bury the throttle out of the hole!!

SummitKarl
02-01-2007, 10:11 AM
call Absolute marine in Havasu
tell them you need a "bullet motor"
they are
BBC- DART
800hp FI naturally aspirated with one yr exchange warranty

andy01
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
call Absolute marine in Havasu
tell them you need a "bullet motor"
they are
BBC- DART
800hp FI naturally aspirated with one yr exchange warranty
Who's building thier motors for them?

andy01
02-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I would go with GT Performance, Gary Teague builds some nice motors.
GT Performance
Gary Teague
909-982-8391

SummitKarl
02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Who's building thier motors for them?
wish I could say but I signed a NDA with Bullet and I have to honor that;)

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Drive issues will a occur if you abuse it other than that you should be fine. I.E. Dont bury the throttle out of the hole!!
You think an XR will last behind a TPI 848 in a real heavy 28' Deckboat?
There 28' Prowler with a TON of stereo weight takes a while to get on plane.(I think getting on plane faster and top speed is what Ted is looking for)

shippingguy
02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
You think an XR will last behind a TPI 848 in a real heavy 28' Deckboat?
There 28' Prowler with a TON of stereo weight takes a while to get on plane.(I think getting on plane faster and top speed is what Ted is looking for)
No a standard XR would not last long most likely. That boat is VERY heavy even without the extra stuff. A friend of mine has one. I would definitely go through the drive and beef it up.
My 27 is not too light and it took some time to plane and was a concern for me for drive life, but now that we or should I say Bob Teague spent some time and dialed it in I can plane right out at 3000RPM with no problem. Drive life will be extended now for sure.

acatitude
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
why dont you just call around to some of the folks named here and find out for yourself?? then you can decide your priorities vs. cost. And if your gonna go SC and only run 2-3 lbs boost as mentioned by someone earlier, that seems like a waste of money and effort.
Peto built my motor, I run 7-8 boost pump gas and I have no idle issues with it. If you set up your power valves so the boost doest kick in till around 3500 rpm you can still get decent gas mileage while cruising...its just hard to stay below 3500 lol . good luck

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
No a standard XR would not last long most likely. That boat is VERY heavy even without the extra stuff. A friend of mine has one. I would definitely go through the drive and beef it up.
My 27 is not too light and it took some time to plane and was a concern for me for drive life, but now that we or should I say Bob Teague spent some time and dialed it in I can plane right out at 3000RPM with no problem. Drive life will be extended now for sure.
Good Info:)
Does the boat run even better since Teague tweaked it? (Pretty sure you were getting 103 +/- before)

OGShocker
02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
B & D Marine produces some of the finest motors in the boating industry. Call Brian and talk with him.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/8846D_Kastor_re-size.jpg
Low profile...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/8846Glasser_033.jpg
With a high rise.
Read the red text below.:D

sbcokeman
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
try boostpower.com they have one of the best dyno's i have seen plus Alexi loves to do fuel injection.

schiadastan
02-01-2007, 11:58 AM
We tell are customers if you want a efi motor go to Pfaff, if you want a efi
turbo motor go to Brummet, and if you want a blown efi motor go to
Bob Teague they are all good guys and they know there stuff. We
have learned you get what you pay for. Bob and Paul well be at the LA Show
next week you should stop by if you are in the area to do so and meet up with them, just dont mind the ego, we all have it. Three years ago we put together a triple eng. 38 with Pauls efi 700 the motors have over a thousand
hours on them and are still running strong we use it to go to Catalina island
two times a week pulling a skier.

djunkie
02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
My choice for a N/A EFI motor. I believe it makes around 725hp.
http://www.tpboats.com/customefiengines/tpi700efi.html

HM
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Blowers are for people who don't understand internal combustion. :D

shippingguy
02-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Good Info:)
Does the boat run even better since Teague tweaked it? (Pretty sure you were getting 103 +/- before)
Yes it does.

shadow
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
B & D Marine produces some of the finest motors in the boating industry. Call Brian and talk with him.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/8846D_Kastor_re-size.jpg
Low profile...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/8846Glasser_033.jpg
With a high rise.
Read the red text below.:D
Ted forgot all about Brian @ B&D.Call him and get some good advice.

Hotcobra270
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Not to jack the thread, but how much cash are we looking at to get into the 700 HP range NA?
Could I get close to 700 HP with my 496 HO and a whipple charger set to low/safe boost?

Cole Trickle
02-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Not to jack the thread, but how much cash are we looking at to get into the 700 HP range NA?
Could I get close to 700 HP with my 496 HO and a whipple charger set to low/safe boost?
I have no idea what it would cost to due it NA but you would have to run alot of boost to go from 425-700HP with the HO....I don't think it would last that long if at all.:)

BADASS38CHEVY
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Thats a nice motor. Has anyone heard anything about this company. I found them on OSO board. http://www.biggiemarinemotors.com/home.html

OGShocker
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Thats a nice motor. Has anyone heard anything about this company. I found them on OSO board. http://www.biggiemarinemotors.com/home.html
I have not.
I find it funny they don't give their address on their website.:idea:

boats&bars
02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Greg shoemaker builds nice stuff....

INSman
02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Ted
Just call Gary Tayor at TPI and ask a bunch of questions. He can give you advice about adding a Whipple to your motor or just building whatever it is you need and are looking for.

cyclone
02-04-2007, 09:14 PM
You don't need a blower to get 700hp out of a 496. Buy a set of good heads (canfield, AFR, Dart etc.) a decent roller cam and good exhaust system and you're their with no sweat.
Ill never understand why people spend outrageous amounts of money on motors when with todays technology and off the shelf parts, 600 and 700 hp is easily attainable.

Jrocket
02-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Ted
Just call Gary Tayor at TPI and ask a bunch of questions. He can give you advice about adding a Whipple to your motor or just building whatever it is you need and are looking for.
Or you could go directly to the horse and ask Gary Teague or Dustin Whipple themselves.:D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-04-2007, 09:28 PM
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/DSC01145.JPG

77charger
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Most likely with an N/A motor it will be making its power at a higher peak rpm (700-800hp) probably over 6k I dont know how fast you want to turn the motor
<-------motor in this boat made 1125 at over 9k out of 470 cubes all aspirated but it is a one purpose motor and dont run on pump gas either.Was built by joey grose
My brother had a blown 540 built by mike hayden in mission viejo it made 780 with barely 3 percent over on blower and it peaked a 5700rpm with 850 pounds torque but it can be turned up very easily to make alot more.Should make his 22 daytona a fast boat
GT performance was to install his motor in a boat but never got around to it even after a year!!said they dynoed it too,made 850hp but couldnt provide a dyno sheet or know what rpm it make it at and all for 4k!
Dave at DNE does alot of n/a motors that make good power.Even though i have never used him i would recomend him also.Those B&d motors look pretty nice from the pics.You have some good choices

bunny 166
02-04-2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/DSC01145.JPG
Ditto this....;) ;) Pfaff!

C-2
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Ditto this....;) ;) Pfaff!
Yes, that's a pretty nice motor....aluminum, 800HP, 700 lbs....$38K

whiteworks
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
heres an idea :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130008

502schiada
02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Clay Smith . George does good work.

HBjet
02-05-2007, 09:23 AM
N/A will be a pain to achieve 800hp and you will have to run great gas to keep the motor alive.
1000hp N/A on pump gas is hard to achieve, 800hp is easy these days.
HBjet

HBjet
02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
My choice for a N/A EFI motor. I believe it makes around 725hp.
http://www.tpboats.com/customefiengines/tpi700efi.html
How much is this motor? I have a 496ci N/A motor on it's 4th season still running hard. Makes over 725hp and I am sure it costs less. Then again it doesn't have EFI either. Nice looking engine though.
HBjet

BDMar
02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
There are many things to take into account here. The original question left out some important details. What type of drive? He mentioned deckboat so I am assuming a Bravo style drive in a heavy boat.
That means it needs to idle around 800 RPM's to keep the cone clutch happy for a long time. You need an engine to run on 91 octane that needs to idle at 800 RPM's, be dock friendly, make all its power below 6000 RPM's and even more importantly make lots of torque in the correct RPM range. A 500 CI engine will not make the kind of power you are asking for within these parameters, and you wont get that kind of engine by purchasing aftermarket parts and bolting them together. Professional engine builders carefully match all the parts to work together. Cylinder heads are ported to get the flow numbers we want, not what the head mfg gives us. The camshaft is ground to our specifications, lift, duration, lobe seperation, intake centerline, etc. all designed to work with the bore, stroke, rod length, cylilnder head flow, intake, EFI or Carb.... etc. We also spend many hours assembling the engine making sure everything is exactly the way they want it..... rocker geometry, valve spring pressure, proper deck height, bearing clearances, ring gap, etc. All this attention to detail adds up to more power in the RPM range you need, as well as an engine that has a long life.
All this takes time, a lot of time, time costs money and when you add that along with the best qualiity parts it becomes an expensive engine. Then add the cost of a sophisticated EFI system capable of Sequential Fire and the cost goes up even more.
What works for a jet boat is not optimum for a sterndrive, and vise versa. What works for a Bravo is not what you would build for a v-drive or even a boat with a #6 drive.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

superdave013
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
1000hp N/A on pump gas is hard to achieve, 800hp is easy these days.
HBjet
ya think? with an outdrive it will only spin 5,500 or so. It will be in a hot engine compartment and has to run on what ever gas is cheepest (or the only gas they sell at the dock, ie 87 octane).
Also keep in mind what's easy for your engine builder is not so easy for the rest of the unwashed masses. :)

cyclone
02-05-2007, 11:42 AM
There are many things to take into account here. The original question left out some important details. What type of drive? He mentioned deckboat so I am assuming a Bravo style drive in a heavy boat.
That means it needs to idle around 800 RPM's to keep the cone clutch happy for a long time. You need an engine to run on 91 octane that needs to idle at 800 RPM's, be dock friendly, make all its power below 6000 RPM's and even more importantly make lots of torque in the correct RPM range. A 500 CI engine will not make the kind of power you are asking for within these parameters, and you wont get that kind of engine by purchasing aftermarket parts and bolting them together. Professional engine builders carefully match all the parts to work together. Cylinder heads are ported to get the flow numbers we want, not what the head mfg gives us. The camshaft is ground to our specifications, lift, duration, lobe seperation, intake centerline, etc. all designed to work with the bore, stroke, rod length, cylilnder head flow, intake, EFI or Carb.... etc. We also spend many hours assembling the engine making sure everything is exactly the way they want it..... rocker geometry, valve spring pressure, proper deck height, bearing clearances, ring gap, etc. All this attention to detail adds up to more power in the RPM range you need, as well as an engine that has a long life.
All this takes time, a lot of time, time costs money and when you add that along with the best qualiity parts it becomes an expensive engine. Then add the cost of a sophisticated EFI system capable of Sequential Fire and the cost goes up even more.
What works for a jet boat is not optimum for a sterndrive, and vise versa. What works for a Bravo is not what you would build for a v-drive or even a boat with a #6 drive.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
This i dont agree with. HBJet's motor never sees more than 6,000 rpm, idles fine at 800 rpm, makes more than 700hp at less than 6,000 rpm and its an iron headed, standard deck height 496. You could replicate his motor for way less any of the motors posted even with EFI and it would work in a boat with a Bravo style drive.
Most competent builders could sneeze and make 700hp these days with off-the-shelf parts. the as-cast heads today and cnc-ported deals work great. If you spend 20 or 30K for a 700hp pump gas motor you are getting robbed, plain and simple.

BDMar
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
This i dont agree with. HBJet's motor never sees more than 6,000 rpm, idles fine at 800 rpm, makes more than 700hp at less than 6,000 rpm and its an iron headed, standard deck height 496. You could replicate his motor for way less any of the motors posted even with EFI and it would work in a boat with a Bravo style drive.
Most competent builders could sneeze and make 700hp these days with off-the-shelf parts. the as-cast heads today and cnc-ported deals work great. If you spend 20 or 30K for a 700hp pump gas motor you are getting robbed, plain and simple.
And people wonder why "competant builders" stay away from trying to help with knowlegable informative info on these boards....

boatnam2
02-05-2007, 12:27 PM
not a motor builder but cyclone i think you have been in the dyno room exhaust area a little to long!