PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm pre-event street party?

jdnichols
01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
LHC has contact us about having a Thrusday night boat show and street party before the Poker Run. We're not sure how many of the participants who arrive early would like to pull their boats from the water and park them on "Main Street" as many of them come early for to get the best boat parking.
Being open to all boaters, not just poker run participants, would enough folks drag their boats out around 3 to 5:00 pm and join such an event? We need to get some kind of count and see if it's worth while.
Could be a great time :) !!!
Please give us your feed back...Thanks in advance.
Jim Nichols
http://www.lakeracerllc.com/FlyerDS2007.jpg

Havasu Carrera
01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
I think the show was in the channel last year. Kinda redundant but I can't get enough anyhow and its nice seeing them out of the water. Plus allot of the tow rigs are just as cool as the boats.

DILLIGAF
02-01-2007, 01:03 AM
I am sure I would ride up from BHC on the bikes with some peeps to check it all out. That would be fun to see them up close like that.

Huckleberry
02-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Jim,
One of the biggest problems last year was the boat parking and the "reserved" parking for some people's boats (Teague, Outerlimits, G. Smith, and many other high rollers...). Those who already had their boats in the water could not drive up to the Nautical to pick up their registration package because no one would allow them to dock or even beach their boat. Those few and blessed individuals who actually are able to put their boat in a slip or on the cove beach are not likely to give up their spot just to show it off on Main St.

SummerBreeze
02-01-2007, 05:48 AM
LHC has contact us about having a Thrusday night boat show and street party before the Poker Run. We're not sure how many of the participants who arrive early would like to pull their boats from the water and park them on "Main Street" as many of them come early for to get the best boat parking.
Being open to all boaters, not just poker run participants, would enough folks drag their boats out around 3 to 5:00 pm and join such an event? We need to get some kind of count and see if it's worth while.
Jim Nichols
Is sounds like a great idea.
It might be a hassle to the owners of the big boats to get them in place.

jdnichols
02-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Jim,
One of the biggest problems last year was the boat parking and the "reserved" parking for some people's boats (Teague, Outerlimits, G. Smith, and many other high rollers...). Those who already had their boats in the water could not drive up to the Nautical to pick up their registration package because no one would allow them to dock or even beach their boat. Those few and blessed individuals who actually are able to put their boat in a slip or on the cove beach are not likely to give up their spot just to show it off on Main St.
I do agree the docking is a issue we've never been able to fix, I have pushed the Nautical for years to build more docks. The have never been able to get the Core of Engineers to allow any more than was grandfathered in from years ago. Of course that seems suspect to me when the marina can build over 700 slips! And who won't allow boats larger than 30 feet to rent the slips or researve them for the weekend! Another reason to boycott the marina, as if we need more reasons!
The courtesy docks are primarly used for my event patrol boats and along with fuel reimburstment are one of the few perks I can give my volunteers. WE also stage the card boats from there and of course the Title Sponsor gets to use the end of the dock! :) I always have a dock master there to control who has slip permission and one of his instructions is to allow people to drop off members of their crew and then back off to await their return. There is just no room for everyone who wants to "just use the slips for a little while"
The rental boat docks do allow me to assign some of the other sponsors slip space on their docks, this is to facilite their demo's of their boats to potential customers. Without their involvement, the event would cost the participants much more, or it just would'nt be near the same event ;)
Thanks for the feed back everyone!
Jim

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2007, 06:58 AM
Like last year, I'll be there all week. The street event sounds cool.

Jbb
02-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Like last year, I'll be there all week. The street event sounds cool.
When it's over....will you remember any of it?

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2007, 07:30 AM
When it's over....will you remember any of it?
Uhhhh.....no.
:cry:

phebus
02-01-2007, 07:37 AM
They do the same thing for the Run to the Sun Car Show every year, and this year it was elbow to elbow walking oin McCulloch. A great event, with food vendors, beer, t shirts sales, etc.
I think it would be a great event, and create a bond with the citizens of Lake Havasu City.
Maybe you could assign beach parking in the cove for those that displayed their boats? A little perk.

Ms.Havasu
02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
We would go, sounds like fun. We even drag our boat down there if you needed more boats( not that it's anything special, but it can occupy a space).

H20 Toie
02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm pulling my boat out everynight so it works for me
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DansRigSmall.jpg

carreraboat
02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey Jim i think it is time to update the avatar if you know what i mean.

That Guy
02-01-2007, 08:00 AM
It seems like a great idea and a way for performance boaters to promote a good relationship with city government. I think it would pay off in spades over the years to come. Maybe it could also generate some momentum for the city to be more proactive with the marina issues.

That Guy
02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry for the double post....still a great idea!

moneypit
02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Jim,
I do agree the docking is a issue we've never been able to fix, I have pushed the Nautical for years to build more docks. The have never been able to get the Core of Engineers to allow any more than was grandfathered in from years ago. Of course that seems suspect to me when the marina can build over 700 slips! And who won't allow boats larger than 30 feet to rent the slips or researve them for the weekend! Another reason to boycott the marina, as if we need more reasons!
The courtesy docks are primarly used for my event patrol boats and along with fuel reimburstment are one of the few perks I can give my volunteers. WE also stage the card boats from there and of course the Title Sponsor gets to use the end of the dock! I always have a dock master there to control who has slip permission and one of his instructions is to allow people to drop off members of their crew and then back off to await their return. There is just no room for everyone who wants to "just use the slips for a little while"
The rental boat docks do allow me to assign some of the other sponsors slip space on their docks, this is to facilite their demo's of their boats to potential customers. Without their involvement, the event would cost the participants much more, or it just would'nt be near the same event
Thanks for the feed back everyone!
Jim
In other words... There might be alot of arguing back at the beach when someone returns to the Nautical with their big boat expecting to have their spot back when someone else says that "you can't reserve these spots" and "its mine now".
It's too bad that there isn't more room to park. I agree with Huckleberry that there is never a place to park, even for a measly 5 minutes and even if you try to park, some of the Ballers give you the "hey buddy" look. Big reason why I will just be observing this year (not enough elbow room).
I would suggest another registration site at another venue or at another hotel or at a bar or beach. This would surely decrease alot of hassle. If you had another registration staging area, people could pre determine where they wanted to register.

Deano
02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Parking was a fkn joke last year.
Maybe you could have peeps (the people with boats valued under 500k) anchor out and have a couple pontoon taxis bringing them back and forth to their boats?

Liquid Courage
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Parking was a fkn joke last year.
Maybe you could have peeps (the people with boats valued under 500k) anchor out and have a couple pontoon taxis bringing them back and forth to their boats?
THAT is actually a REALLY good idea! Kind've like Catalina. You could have people anchor off the long beach (not the cove). Have a pontoon boat to help show people where to anchor (I'd assume in a straight line along the beach out a couple hundred feet or so, so people could still beach there too) and give people rides to the dock. I think it'd work really well. Doesn't just have to be for people with smaller boats, it could be for EVERYONE. Ease the whole beaching tension.
Jim, it'd be nice to somehow do a car show/event near the water where the boats can beach instead of pull out. Like the little park at the entrace to the channel near the main marina. That way, you could do boats on trailers and in the water.

playdeep
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Jim,
I think it's a great idea...if you could work out the logistics.
With all of the out state boats that show up,be a good opportunity to mingle and meet other boaters...
We've made a lot of new friends from attending the poker run every year.
...You guys have some fairly good ideas...for a bunch of coat-tailers;)

40FlatDeck
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I would love to have all the boats lined up on the street. It is just a big operation to pull the boat out for a couple of hours, wait in line to launch, then hopefully get my spot back on the beach.:)

91nordic29
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
you're right:D

C-2
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
On the parking issue at the Nautical – most of it's centered around the cove.
I was monitoring parking on the timeshare beach during both registration and card turn-in, and I saw plenty of spaces available. The timeshare beach is dredged and has a nice sidewalk leading to the registration area. It’s only an extra couple of hundred feet of walking, but saves a lot of headache and keeps tempers cool.
Except for this one *ickhead with bass-boat, glitter flames on his Nordic – his boat was beached sideways and took up 5-6 spots. Some people.:sqeyes: :sqeyes:
Were people getting all bent on the timeshare beach too?

jdnichols
02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
you're right:D
Okay Guys :) Here's the new Avatar. New engines are close, new upholstry in progress, paint?? Not sure yet!
http://www.az***boats.com/memberpages/jnichols.jpg
Jim

slowinhavasu
02-01-2007, 07:42 PM
I think that would be a great way to let the public see and meet the people who use our lake.......GREAT idea.....:D

dicudmore
02-01-2007, 08:41 PM
couple of us could probably be talked into dragging our stuff out for this

phebus
02-01-2007, 08:54 PM
On a side note, I thought parading the boats through the channel (last year) prior to the start was a brilliant idea.

dicudmore
02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
On a side note, I thought parading the boats through the channel (last year) prior to the start was a brilliant idea.
PITA to roll through there with the traffic though

phebus
02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
PITA to roll through there with the traffic though
True, but with the black eye Poker Runs has gotten over the last year, PR is the name of the game.

Phat Matt
02-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I think it's a pretty good idea. You can really see the size of these boats when they are on the trailer. I think the wow factor would be pretty high. Plus if the city is asking for it, that wouldn't be a bad idea to do it and get a great relationship going with the city and powerboaters.

LakeRacer
02-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Jim Nichols
Hey Jim,
I'd say tell the City you would do it if they can figure out a way to get the Marina to let the poker runners launch there. After all, this event is bring $$$$$ to the city and the poker runners are getting shafted...not to mention all the rest of us.

C-2
02-02-2007, 08:23 AM
THAT is actually a REALLY good idea! Kind've like Catalina. You could have people anchor off the long beach (not the cove). Have a pontoon boat to help show people where to anchor (I'd assume in a straight line along the beach out a couple hundred feet or so, so people could still beach there too) and give people rides to the dock. I think it'd work really well. Doesn't just have to be for people with smaller boats, it could be for EVERYONE. Ease the whole beaching tension.
Jim, it'd be nice to somehow do a car show/event near the water where the boats can beach instead of pull out. Like the little park at the entrace to the channel near the main marina. That way, you could do boats on trailers and in the water.
Tank, you going to the show tomorrow?

dumbandyoung
02-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I am sure I would ride up from BHC on the bikes with some peeps to check it all out. That would be fun to see them up close like that.
I don't have a bike, although I will be right behind you in a golf cart!:D

moneypit
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Except for this one *ickhead with bass-boat, glitter flames on his Nordic
Did it have glitter like I have on mine???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/84nordic.jpg

Fast Freddy
02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Did it have glitter like I have on mine???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/84nordic.jpg
nice boat!

SAFA 1
02-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm pulling my boat out everynight so it works for me
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DansRigSmall.jpg
hey Dan its James 38' cig whats up man , give me a call 951-688-6428

MACH26
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm registered and be glad to do it

C-2
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
-- Sorry everyone, the street party has been placed on hold --:(
Thanks for your interest.

Magic34
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
That sucks. This was going to be the one thing I did. Due to my unknown boat situation and in the end it wouldn't be powerboat parade worthy anyways, we were pulling out a trailer with my Rhino and a few others along with the boat.

Liquid Courage
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
That sucks. This was going to be the one thing I did. Due to my unknown boat situation and in the end it wouldn't be powerboat parade worthy anyways, we were pulling out a trailer with my Rhino and a few others along with the boat.
If you're registered for the run your boat is parade worthy! :wink:

jdnichols
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
The street event was coming together when Jim Salscheider jims@lhcmainstreet.com recieved new direction from the Conv & Vistors Bureau. They are having a basketball tournament the following weekend and he doesn't have time to pull the permits and oraganize it properly.
So it's on hold till next year. I thought we should all gather up at the Walmart and do a trailer parade through town, that would get some notice :devil: :D

jdnichols
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
We actually had that all set up two years ago, the bouy field was between the buildings and the launch ramp. Guess what, no takers... No one wanted their boat where they couldn't be near it. :rolleyes:

BIGRRNU
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
There's a big Truck and Boat show on the same weekend. We are bringing 4 F-650 pickups and were actually making plans to all leave out of SD to get there in time for the Street party!!!:confused: :confused: :( :( :confused: :confused: :( :(

Magic34
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
If you're registered for the run your boat is parade worthy! :wink:
I think it sits too tall on the trailer and may take out the street lights! Besides that, I can not disclose the top speed at this time which kept me from registering.

Magic34
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
We actually had that all set up two years ago, the bouy field was between the buildings and the launch ramp. Guess what, no takers... No one wanted their boat where they couldn't be near it. :rolleyes:
Sounds like the best idea to me. No one cramming their boat in next to yours and possibly scratching it.

Throttle
02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
qw can party in the streets without the boats, we did last year!

jdnichols
03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone.
Alex Ross called me today and he pulled the permits for closing McCulloch and having the street party.
Main Street is on McCulloch Blvd. – the same street that crosses the London Bridge, but about a mile or so from the bridge – east – up the hill. The street will be closed from Querio to Mulberry.
4:00 pm to 9:00 Thrusday 4/26/07 We'll start parking the boats at 4:00pm and they can be removed after 9:00 pm.
Schlotzsky’s Deli will host us as well as some other businesses I'm sure.
So far the CRC and Citgo racer boats plus the new 51 Outerlimits Mumba have committed to the show. Everyone is invited to show their boat, just let us know so we can place you on the planning map!
Should be a great way to start the weekend!

C-2
03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone.
Alex Ross called me today and he pulled the permits for closing McCulloch and having the street party.
Main Street is on McCulloch Blvd. – the same street that crosses the London Bridge, but about a mile or so from the bridge – east – up the hill. The street will be closed from Querio to Mulberry.
4:00 pm to 9:00 Thrusday 4/26/07 We'll start parking the boats at 4:00pm and they can be removed after 9:00 pm.
Schlotzsky’s Deli will host us as well as some other businesses I'm sure.
So far the CRC and Citgo racer boats plus the new 51 Outerlimits Mumba have committed to the show. Everyone is invited to show their boat, just let us know so we can place you on the planning map!
Should be a great way to start the weekend!
So I guess this is my memo...:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

C-2
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
-- THIS THING IS BACK ON --
Spread the love :)

prosthogod
03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Just to play the devil's advocate, could this possibly be another way the city can get revenue by giving spectators parking tickets and arrests for other infractions? Remember they came to you.

That Guy
03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Just to play the devil's advocate, could this possibly be another way the city can get revenue by giving spectators parking tickets and arrests for other infractions? Remember they came to you.
You've got to be kidding.....:confused: I highly doubt that is the motivation...

Rock-it man
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I know that normally the cove is first come , I think that for an event like this that the sponcers that make this event happen should be given some leway.They put up the money and a lot of manufactures are there to show there new boats . I know that for us to be a sponcer and make the trip there cost's about $ 10,000.00 thats a lot to pay for a spot in the cove . Without all the sponcers this event probably would not happen.
Just my thoughts !!

Rock-it man
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
C2 You can put us down for the show .I e-mailed Jim about it. Thanks Wayne
Liquid Technologies,llc

C-2
03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
C2 You can put us down for the show .I e-mailed Jim about it. Thanks Wayne
Liquid Technologies,llc
Gotcha Wayne, looking forward to seeing your latest creation.
:)

jdnichols
03-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I know that normally the cove is first come , I think that for an event like this that the sponcers that make this event happen should be given some leway.They put up the money and a lot of manufactures are there to show there new boats . I know that for us to be a sponcer and make the trip there cost's about $ 10,000.00 thats a lot to pay for a spot in the cove . Without all the sponcers this event probably would not happen.
Just my thoughts !!
I know what you mean Wayne! I just can't imagine trying to manage that as well as the rest of the event:sqeyes:
Jim

Havasu Hangin'
03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I know that normally the cove is first come , I think that for an event like this that the sponcers that make this event happen should be given some leway.
I would like to help sponsor the event. I will give $10 toward the Friday morning raking of the sand on the beach.
Now where's my spot in the cove?
:notam:

slowinhavasu
03-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Please...Gimme a break.................:rolleyes:

H20 Toie
03-29-2007, 09:32 PM
great i am glad this is back on

jdnichols
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Added some more boats Thrusday night.
Mach26's F32 DCB
Wayne Kruse and his 44 Liquid Technology All Aluminum V hull
James Elzein and his 40 ft Skater SAFA1
Gary Smith and the "Predator" (40ft Skater)
and Bill Pyburns new 51 Outerlimits Car "Goldigger"
Come join us, park your boat on the street too, or just come out and check it all out!