View Full Version : Uh oh for Sea Launch

RitcheyRch
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
The Video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxKxzMLMcQU
January 31, 2007
Cause of Sea Launch explosion remains a mystery
TROUBLE AT THE EQUATOR
Long Beach-based Sea Launch says no one was injured late Tuesday when one of its Zenit-3SL rockets exploded during a scheduled launch from the ocean-going platform Odyssey. But the company, headed by Rob Peckham of Huntington Beach, has yet to provide more details about the accident, which occurred about 3:22 p.m. at a location near the equator, where the company was trying to send the NSS-8 telecommunications satellite into a parking orbit about Earth.
Paula Korn of Laguna Beach, the company's spokeswoman, said via e-mail that there will be "more info later when we assess."
We asked Korn whether Odyssey and its command ship, Sea Launch Commander, suffered damage during the explosion, which was webcast live. The video was taken down shortly after the accident. We've also asked for clarification of whether the explosion occurred before or during lift-off, and word of when the company's two vessels are expected to arrive back in Long Beach Harbor.
Only last week, the company had expressed confidence that it would perform a record six launches this year from Odyssey. There will now be an accident investigation, which likely means that one or more launches will be delayed.

Ms.Havasu
02-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Huston, we have a problem.....

RitcheyRch
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Hate when that happens. Heard internally that Boeing calling it a boo boo.

Terminal Velocity
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's me, but it looks like when ignition starts the nose starts to fall/loose altitude down towards the ocean then all hell breaks loose.
have to agree with the houston we're f*cked!!

yopengo
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow that really sucks. I make most of the custom coins that they do for each launch. I guess that one just became a collectorÂ’s item. :)

73kona455
02-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks like they must have had it in reverse instead of drive...:D

Terminal Velocity
02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Looks like they must have had it in reverse instead of drive...:D
Yea, put a lefthand prop on a right hand drive. LOL