PDA

View Full Version : Ya'all Californians better start buying 'em now

SmokinLowriderSS
02-01-2007, 03:42 PM
"How Many Legislators Does it Take to Change a Light Bulb Act."
Assemblyman Lloyd Levine, D-Van Nuys, is proposing that the Golden State become the first to ban sales of incandescent light bulbs, by 2012. In their place, Californians could purchase more energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps.
I actually use quite a few compact flourescents in our house, in lights that tend to get left on, like the basement where 2 kid's bedrooms are. For whatever reason, with switches on BOTH ENDS of the main room, nobody can turn the lights out.
The laundry room seems to get similar treatment.
The house garage ones get left on by me sometimes, on purpose, if I am planning on arriving home late, especially in cold weather.
The kitchen triple bulb fixture, which is used very much for lengthy periods.
I can tell ya that CF's do not like being switched on/off any more than the large tubes do. they may last 3 or 4 years if left run, but they DO NOT if cycled often. In 2 years, I have had to replace 3 in the basement out of 6, 1 in teh garage, out of 2, and the one over the stairwell once, so far.
Legally forcing their use tho, is NUTS!.:mad:

Mandelon
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh, and I bet to throw them away will be hard too. The tube lights are not allowed at the landfill. We periodically have trucks and trailers turned back because of the presence of one tube light in the mix.
I wouldn't be surprised if you'll need a chain of custody and a toxic disposal license to toss em....:sqeyes:

Ziggy
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Florencent bulb are supposed to be recycled seperately just like empty wine bottles............
I can see a movie with some macho dude clearing the way in a TransAm for a semi bootleggin' light bulbs into California :D :D :D

BOBALOO
02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Title 24 in Ca. already specs the use of fluorescents in new home const. I put 9 fluor cans in my kitchen and the damn things with the trims and bulbs are 90$ each. Regular cans w/trims and bulbs are 28$ ea.
OH, dont get me started on occupancy sensors for the home:mad:
While I'm bitching about this, what about the POS gas cans we have to use. I spill more gas than I get into whatever I'm filling.:mad: The last time I went to Utah I bought 6 gas cans that were still the old style with a regular spout and VENT!:D
BOB(gonna bootleg my bulbs from mexico) ALOO

RitcheyRch
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I wonder which one of them owns stock in the bulb industry.

BadKachina
02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I read that for every bulb you would save x amount of dollars over the life of the bulb. So I replaced every bulb in the house with them a couple of years ago. I'm still waiting for all this money I was going to save...........:rolleyes:
Honestly I started changing them out because I have can lights through the entire house and I get tired of changing the regular bulbs all the time. I have flat ten foot ceilings in every single room and I was tired of dragging a ladder around and changing bulbs every couple of weeks. I found that the flourescents do last longer, but in the rooms like the kitchen and bathroom where they get turned on and off several times a day you don't get the advertised life span out of them.

blown65
02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I did some of mine to CF in ours also. House is 12 yrs old and my bulbs are the same. Put the CF bulbs in, 2 yrs they are burning out. I guess there is lots of savings in that. :rolleyes:
Not to mention that now I will be throwing away 6X the amount of bulbs I was prior.

CA Stu
02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.amritapuri.org/children/poem/pic_poem/candle.jpg

Riverguy92345
02-02-2007, 11:25 AM
wait until you try them outside..They really don't like the cold..Won't last a year..What a savings...lol

GunninGopher
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I agree with everything that has been said here.
I have all CF bulbs in my house because it was built in the 50's and the circuts are completely stupid. Half the house is run on 2 15 amp circuits. 2 Bathrooms are on 1 15A!!
Anyways, I replaced all my incadescants over the last 2 years and I'm already replacing some of the CF's. 5 years my A$$.
Another problem with any stupid law like that is you can't use CF's in dimmers, so what are you supposed to do, replace every dimmed fixture in the house?
F this state. I'm second generation So Cal and if the weather wasn't so nice I'd leave. Now they are banning electricity that is coal genereted, too? Has anyone noticed that we are RUNNING OUT?
<end rant>

Riomouse911
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know how you guys are doing things differently than I am, but I get years of life out of them. And yes, my electric bill dropped at least 20 bucks (or more) a month when I switched to all CF. 2800 sq ft, pool w/spa, 2 A/C units, 2 full size fridges and an extra freezer, and my bill has never exceeded $170 a month (even in the summertime).
As for the lifespan, I bought my first house in Chino in 1993 and put a CF in the outside light by the door. It's on all night every night, and when I sold the place in 2004 it was still burning strong. I have only replaced one CF bulb in this new house, which I bought in 2004. I've got two on multi-timers that go on-off-on-off 4 times a night downstairs, and they're still glowing after 3 years.
As for cost, I was up North last year and PG&E had a deal with subsidized CF bulbs, I got 24 for 24 bucks. Occasionally Home Depot will have a 4 pack for 5 bucks (which is a lot more than the 99 cent 4-pack el-cheapos, I admit). I gave a bunch them to the neighbors for their porch lights, and every one is still working. It's like anything else, mass production brings the cost down (unless it's fuel I guess).
Personally, I'd like to see it mandated that all new construction has solar panels on the roof to generate electricity. That should save a bundle of gas and coal, and despite the whining of the home builders lobby, won't add that much to the cost of a new house when spread over the 30 span of the traditional loan. (Besides, folks will most likely make up the cost and more in savings).