Her454
02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Anyone here ever do it?

THOR
02-01-2007, 06:38 PM
All the time.

Jbb
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Brown does it on alternate Saturdays ...in accordance with his parole agreement.

YeLLowBoaT
02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
is that where you run around with a gps and try to log all the cool places and shit?

Flyinbowtie
02-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Haven't done it, but I've been told that there are some really cool caches out in Nevada.

Kindsvater Flat
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
We do it on the harleys
http://www.geocaching.com/

Her454
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I've never done it apparently you can go to Geocaching.com and you can search your area for caches and it gives GPS co-ordinances (sp?) to where they are and once you find them, you can sign your name to let others you have found the cache and then return to its original state. Its like a "treasure hunt" kind of thing. Sounds interesting but I don't know shit about GPS'ing anything and I get lost the dark LOL. :D
Just wondered how many people on here did it. :D

Her454
02-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Haven't done it, but I've been told that there are some really cool caches out in Nevada.
We do it on the harleys
http://www.geocaching.com/
I thought it would be cool to do a boating kind of thing. Maybe on the Delta or something.....My husband said there is one somewhere out on the Island at Lake Hogan. I never even knew that. :eek: :D

Oldsquirt
02-01-2007, 07:07 PM
A former co-worker used to do that with his daughter. He would usually try to mix it in with trips to educational or historical sites in NorCal. I think he was having a lot more fun at it than his kid. :)

Flyinbowtie
02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Running a GPS is easy, T. I learned while still working, & used it to get lat/lon numbers on properties of interest from a helicopter. It is a fairly simple process. Remind me, and the next time we hook up I'll bring mine and you can fiddle with it a bit. Prices on them have come way down and the features on them have really improved. You can get a decent Garmin for around a hundred and a quarter.
The trick involved in back-country caching is finding the roads that get you close to the cache. The ones out in Nevada are supposed to be an absolute blast. they fancier units have all kiinds of mapping software in them, and that makes the road findin' much easier.

Kindsvater Flat
02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
here T
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=154677

topless
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I thought it would be cool to do a boating kind of thing. Maybe on the Delta or something.....My husband said there is one somewhere out on the Island at Lake Hogan. I never even knew that. :eek: :DDamn that sounds so strange coming from you. LOL Tell Tidbits I say Hi.:D

Kindsvater Flat
02-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I almost said something but I'm not sure if she is still mooooody now that she is not single.

bordsmnj
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
i'd like to try it. i just to cheap and impatient to figure out how to use a gps. maybe when i grow up.:)

Quality Time
02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I've done it. There was one in in Lake Havasu on a shallow rock outcrop for a while. Not sure if it is still there. Had to find it with a snorkel.

Mandelon
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
We chase them down. those things are all over the place. Basic GPS is easy to figure out and cheap to buy. It is fun, especially with the kids. There are few in Lake Havasu we have found, but mostly around the desert. Anza Borrego has a ton of them. But they are in urban areas too.
And Topless is right, its just weird to read "my husband" coming from Traci....:)

Ziggy
02-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her454
I thought it would be cool to do a boating kind of thing. Maybe on the Delta or something.....My husband said there is one somewhere out on the Island at Lake Hogan. I never even knew that.
Damn that sounds so strange coming from you. LOL Tell Tidbits I say Hi.:D
lmao......Gave me a shiver too ;) Who's next, huuuuuuuuuuuh? :D
My son has done that GPS geo-whatchamacallit and found a few around Ocotillo Wells.
Maybe I should think about getting one:idea:

Her454
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Running a GPS is easy, T. I learned while still working, & used it to get lat/lon numbers on properties of interest from a helicopter. It is a fairly simple process. Remind me, and the next time we hook up I'll bring mine and you can fiddle with it a bit. Prices on them have come way down and the features on them have really improved. You can get a decent Garmin for around a hundred and a quarter.
The trick involved in back-country caching is finding the roads that get you close to the cache. The ones out in Nevada are supposed to be an absolute blast. they fancier units have all kiinds of mapping software in them, and that makes the road findin' much easier.
Thanks Jeff! Mike has a few of the GPS's I guess but I've obviously never used them. He used to take his kids out quite a bit and hunt them down and the kids have a blast (but I think Oldsquirt is right and he has more fun than the kids) :D I'd like to try it sometime it sounds like fun.
We chase them down. those things are all over the place. Basic GPS is easy to figure out and cheap to buy. It is fun, especially with the kids. There are few in Lake Havasu we have found, but mostly around the desert. Anza Borrego has a ton of them. But they are in urban areas too.
And Topless is right, its just weird to read "my husband" coming from Traci....:)
lmao......Gave me a shiver too ;) Who's next, huuuuuuuuuuuh? :D
My son has done that GPS geo-whatchamacallit and found a few around Ocotillo Wells.
Maybe I should think about getting one:idea:
LMAO, you guys are too funny. Truth be told, takes a little getting used to on this end too but its a nice change. :D
As for you K-Flat..............I was NEVER moody LOL.:rolleyes:

lucky
02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I've never done it apparently you can go to Geocaching.com and you can search your area for caches and it gives GPS co-ordinances (sp?) to where they are and once you find them, you can sign your name to let others you have found the cache and then return to its original state. Its like a "treasure hunt" kind of thing. Sounds interesting but I don't know shit about GPS'ing anything and I get lost the dark LOL. :D
Just wondered how many people on here did it. :D
thant explains the signatures on my Junk :devil:

stoker
02-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I have done them on the golf cart here in Costa Mesa. I have also done them in the desert (Landers) in the Rhino. It doesn't matter where you are, there will be a Geo Cache somewhere close. I like the ones that give clues and are not to far off the path. On the website they will list a degree of difficulty for each one. Have fun.

Her454
02-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Now I am interested.
Where do you find a good hand held GPS? Did you guys get them at a Best Buy/Frys kind of store or an outdoors store?
Forensic
That was my reaction as well, sounds interesting. Sort of a challenge to say the least. Actually when he was describing it to me, the first person I thought of was FROGGY. I thought he would be all over something like this. :D
Im sure you can find something online Forensic as far as GPS and where to get a good one...I can't help ya there, sorry.

Ziggy
02-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Now I am interested.
Where do you find a good hand held GPS? Did you guys get them at a Best Buy/Frys kind of store or an outdoors store?
Forensic
The locations are all over the place. From what I heard there are quite a few in our general area too. Supposedly even in the fields around my home has one.
Sounds like fun if you got the time to hunt them down...

Oldsquirt
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Jeff! Mike has a few of the GPS's I guess but I've obviously never used them. He used to take his kids out quite a bit and hunt them down and the kids have a blast (but I think Oldsquirt is right and he has more fun than the kids) :D I'd like to try it sometime it sounds like fun.
I signed up last night and did some research. Turns out there are several out at Hogan that can only be reached by boat. There is also one placed by a ranger who worked there for 30 years. Looked like it might have been near the ranger station on the way to the launch ramp. I even found a few near my place.
Does your e-mail work?

Kindsvater Flat
02-02-2007, 05:58 PM
This gave me some easter ideas. Since I live on 600 acres I think I might bury some plastic eggs with some $5.00 bills for the kids. Will kinda break up the whole egg in the yard deal.

Flyinbowtie
02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
This gave me some easter ideas. Since I live on 600 acres I think I might bury some plastic eggs with some $5.00 bills for the kids. Will kinda break up the whole egg in the yard deal.
Great way to teach them the basics of Lat.-Lon. and simple navigation, too.
Mine is a Garmin 12, I think. The firs thing I did was write down the lat-lon of the house, and put it next to the phone. This was in the days when the boys were young, and I knew that info would help CDF command get the air attack in the right place if the kids called 911 reporting a fire and no adults were around.
Sounds nuts, I know, but those are the kind of things you think about when you live in wildfire country.
Traci, Mike probably uses them to shoot in preliminary info on property lines, too. When I went to Forestry College we did it all with a Silva Ranger Compass, I would have killed for a GPS in the crawling around in the bottom of Baker Divide during that mapping and surveying class.