PDA

View Full Version : Brendla boats???

VoodooCanoe426
06-07-2002, 02:57 PM
I am looking at a 1962 Brendla v-drive with a small block chevy in it. Whats the word on these boats? I am replacing a 1969 Sanger bubble deck. This boat is a big project which will be repowered and comsmetics redone. I am looking for a good family lake boat this time. Any help would be great as I live in the land of non v-drives

69 Elim
06-07-2002, 03:02 PM
are you the guy who is selling the bezer?

VoodooCanoe426
06-07-2002, 03:06 PM
No, at the present time I am boatless for the first time in 18 years.

bt273
06-07-2002, 03:27 PM
What is a BRENDLA? Do you mean a BRENDELLA? Where is the land of non v-drives, you must move immediately!!!!!!!!!!!

VoodooCanoe426
06-07-2002, 03:45 PM
OOOOPs I meant Brendella. I live in Dallas, texas. I've seen only 2 v-drives on local lakes, not counting ski boats.

boatguy222
06-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 69 Elim:
are you the guy who is selling the bezer?
I am the owner of the VOODOO CANOE, Bezer. It will be running at the Banks Lake race in Washington, June 15-16. come see it run then make me an offer.

Costello
06-08-2002, 09:16 AM
I may be wrong here, but I believe the Brendella name came about after the split of Irv and Peggy Brendel of Hondo Boats. I have never seen a Brendella that old, in fact I don't even recall seeing a Hondo that old, and I am quite sure Hondo came before Brendella. The 1969 flat you are replacing is still before the advent of the runner bottom, but the boats from 1962 to 1969 changed signifcantly. Most flatbottom v-drive boats in the early 60's were short 16 feet or so and very squatty and boxy looking. By the time 1969 came along they had gained almost 2 feet and were much sleeker and more modern looking. They also handled much better with the newer design. If you're looking for a bit of nostalgia the 62 would be cool. If you are looking for a better riding boat, (is that possible in a flat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif) go with something newer. I'm not sure the 62 is a Brendella, though I may be wrong.
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited June 08, 2002).]

Riptide01
06-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Hey Costello,
F.Y.I.
Irv Brendella started Brendella boats in 1958.He changed the name to Hondo in the late 60's.(After a favorite dog). The Brendella name came back in the late 70s, after the divorce. His wife got the Hondo name. And becareful, the 1962 Howards and several others were 17 to 18 feet in length.
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited June 08, 2002).]

PGF545
06-08-2002, 10:59 AM
VooDoo, I also live in land of little V-Drives (Houston Tx), but there are still a few of us around...lol. I know that pgf127rt lives in the Dallas area and there are several others that live in that area that might be willing to help you out. I don't know a lot about that boat but I would be willing to bet it has higher sides and more of a v in the bottom that a more modern flat. My dad had an Aqua Craft about a 1966 or so and it had more of a v in the bottom. After we bought the Schiada circle boat we used the Aqua Craft for a lake boat. We had really good luck with it as it would take the rough water better than most newer flats, and was a kick in the butt to drive. I would say good luck with it and it doesn't have to make anyone happy but you and your family. I will be at the races in Cleburne in August, Maybe you could come there an meet me and I could introduce you to some of the Texas V-Drive boys...lol, I know there aren't many of us!!!!!
Bernie

pgf127rt
06-08-2002, 06:07 PM
VDC426, there are more v-drives in the DFW metroplex than you can imagine, it is very doubtful you will see very many at the local lakes though, because the water on the weekends is not very nice for flats, but every now and then, well at least once a year, we put on a National Event at Plowman Creek Park on Lake Whitney, it is usually in October and to get on the email list contact Garry Snow at snowman069@hotmail.com.
BTW, I have a 1976 Hondo runnerbottom ready to go, it is setup for the 1/4 mile but could easily be a calm lake or smooth river toy, I live on Lake Granbury, and I could probably take you for a ride to demo the boat, and you will be very safe as I am a very old flat driver.LOL
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited June 08, 2002).]

VoodooCanoe426
06-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. pgf127rt I would be very interested in hearing more about your Hondo. Drop me a email and lets talk.
Thanks again everybody, it's great to find a forum like this!

Costello
06-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Riptide01:
Hey Costello,
F.Y.I.
Irv Brendella started Brendella boats in 1958.He changed the name to Hondo in the late 60's.(After a favorite dog). The Brendella name came back in the late 70s, after the divorce. His wife got the Hondo name. And becareful, the 1962 Howards and several others were 17 to 18 feet in length.
Sounds like the above mentioned boat may be a Brendella then. I knew that Hondo was Irv Brendell's dog, and that was where the name came from. You are correct also in that Howard Brown had the longer flats earlier than most anyone else. I have seen pictures as early as 1963 or 64 with Howard at the wheel of a flats that looked ahead of the time.

HavasuDreamin'
06-10-2002, 07:20 AM
Hey Costello,
F.Y.I.
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited June 08, 2002).]
Yeah, my dad and great uncle raced in the early 60's a fiberglassed cover wood Brendella. About 14' to 15' long with a 45 horse Mark 58 Merc on the back. They ran all over, Havasu Classic, Salt n Sea, etc. #145DM. The Brendella was a sharp boat, even back then. It had great lines.

VoodooCanoe426
06-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Well I bought the Brendella for $1000. It's only missing the carb. Now the fun begins! I know it's not going to cure my speed itch, but at least it will get me off the beach.

SWW
06-12-2002, 11:16 AM
E bay ? looks like a good deal

rrrr
06-12-2002, 12:40 PM
VC, I live in Plano, working on a resto project too. Let me know if you need some help. I would be happy to exchange some labor with you, some of the stuff I am doing is tough with one person.

VoodooCanoe426
06-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Yeah it was on ebay. rrrr that sounds like a plan. Drop me a email and let me know what your working on.

Riptide01
06-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by VoodooCanoe426:
I am looking at a 1962 Brendla v-drive with a small block chevy in it. Whats the word on these boats? I am replacing a 1969 Sanger bubble deck. This boat is a big project which will be repowered and comsmetics redone. I am looking for a good family lake boat this time. Any help would be great as I live in the land of non v-drives
Hey Voodoo,
You should have held on to the 1969 Sanger Bubble deck. It would be worth much more then the Brendella. Sanger didnt produce the bubble deck until 1972.
Just having a boring day at the office.

VoodooCanoe426
06-27-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah your right riptide. My first sanger was a 69, but the last one was a 1974. My mistake, been on the beach too long.

Riptide01
06-27-2002, 06:34 PM
I know the feeling, How is your new project going?
I shouldnt talk. I need to get busy on the old Sanger wood deck we got from 058.

VoodooCanoe426
06-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Just getting started. I got the engine down and would like to start stripping the paint in the next week or so. Someone painted it with auto paint and it's flaking off. All in all it looks like it going to be a fun lake boat.

wsuwrhr
06-27-2002, 08:07 PM
I feel much more at home with fellow Mopar freaks.
Brian

VoodooCanoe426
06-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Yeah you don't see many mopar boats. As far as ground transportation goes it's mopar or no car! Now if I can only dig up some mopar mounting hardware.

06-27-2002, 10:36 PM
I know the feeling, How is your new project going?
I shouldnt talk. I need to get busy on the old Sanger wood deck we got from 058.
You mean to tell me that that Sanger isn't done yet???? WTF you guys been doing?......J/K....LOL!

FLYTE RISK
06-28-2002, 05:09 PM
058, been taking a cursing tounge lashing over on the why not own a prop boat page of all the squirt boaters........... ha ha... by the way 002 is my cousin.. we are slow at work got a 60 footer going soon jim will call ya...... by the way 60 m.p.h is my ski sanger......... ha ha not the hondo!!!!!!!!!!

Riptide01
06-28-2002, 05:39 PM
OH OH BUSTED,
Hey 058 it will be done SOON, REALLY SOON.

06-28-2002, 06:00 PM
Are those idiots still beating me up?....Damn they can't take a joke. I'm still trying to figure out why they think a jet is better than a prop, maybe using 40 gallons of fuel is better than using 10. It is if you have stock in Exxon. Whats this safety issue they keep bleating about? If you get that close to someone in the water the prop is the last thing they need to worry about. Ever get smacked in the head with a 2000 lb. boat?

Riptide01
06-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Jet Boat guys just like the big rooster tails they can kick up as they are getting passed by a V-DRIVE.
Makes them think they are fast.
Ever notice how many excuses a jet boat guy will use when he is beat up on?

06-28-2002, 11:07 PM
We will now have jetboat excuses by the number to avoid confusion. 1] I didn't have my diverter set. 2]My impeller is a AA [or whatever] so it doesn't leave hard. 3]My engine is running out of fuel. 4] My lifters are pumping up. 5] My loading grate is not right. 6] I have a hook in my hull. 7] I'm not making a big enough roostertail so my engine is down on power. 8] My 35 gal tank is almost empty because we went for a short drive. 9]Maybe my boat won't run over 60mph but you should race________, his boat run 118mph [every boat runs 118]. 10] I have an extra passenger in my boat so you have an unfair advantage. 11] That fu*kin jetski cut in front of me, I had to lift. 12] my nitrous bottles are empty, otherwise I'd race you. 13] You want to race a full quarter of a mile, thats unfair!!! 14]My wife/mother/GF won't let me race you. 15] The air/water/stars/Tarocards/crystal ball/Weegee board/personal adviser/lawyer/bookie/horoscope, were not in agreement to race...... Have I covered everything?

jordanpaulk
06-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Doubtful. You must have missed something knowing how those jetboat people are... how about sucked something into my pump? Blew a head gasket due to too much water pressure or I cant race on days that end with "y"?
Jordy

Sangster 79
06-29-2002, 06:11 AM
What is it with this "rooster tail thing" anyways. It must have something to do with telling how fast your going if your boat only does 60mph.If they watched where they were going instead of how much water there SQUIRTING in the air the water would be a safer place for sure..I know some people with some very fast jet bosts, Kieth Zellmer, Bill Rathke to name a few. They run well up in the 120s & 130s and don't SQUIRT water 100' in the air. Somebody, QUICK,tell Kieth & Bill there doing it all wrong.......
[This message has been edited by Sangster 79 (edited June 29, 2002).]

Riptide01
06-29-2002, 07:49 AM
But think of how fast those guys could go if they put their motors in a V-DRIVE.
Jets are just a waste of horsepower.
And this discussion will go on for years to come.
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited June 29, 2002).]

Back To Havasu
07-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi, I am the dad that Havasu Dreamin's is referring to, who raced Brendella outboards in the 50s and 60s. Both inboards and outboard models were manufactured by Alex Fragoso Sr. at his Lawndale California home/shop. They were made of Phillipine mahagony, covered in fiberglass. Irv Brendel owned Sepulveda Boat Dock, a boat dealership in the San Fernando Valley suburb of Los Angeles, and he was the sole distributor of Fragoso made boats, which he named Brendellas, (perhaps copying Louis Brummet's Mandella name). Sepulveda Boat dock flurished in the 50s, but when fiberglass boats took over in the sixties, the Fragosos quit manufacturing boats, and Irv Brendel started Hondo Boats, which later wound up in the hands of his wife, Peggy Ann, and son, Mike. The Brendella name was revived in the seventies.