PDA

View Full Version : V-DRIVE?

blown540flattie
05-07-2002, 11:57 AM
I am piecing my boat back together, and i need input on a few things. I would like to upgrade to a 1 1\8" prop shaft. I have a 1" now, what are the things that I need to change as in, prop strut, coupler, more support in the hull of the boat, ect? And where can I find parts. I have been told that the motor, 540 BBC 10/71 enderle injected, that I am putting in the boat is going to shear the shaft. And one more question about the rudder it is a 1" shaft to do I need to go to a bigger one, 1 1\8" to? Any input to these questions would be great help.

superdave013
05-07-2002, 12:33 PM
The ad right at the top of this page. Tom @ Menkens knows his stuff and will set you up with every thing you need. Best of all he won't sell you things you don't need!

V-Drive Tom
05-08-2002, 06:42 AM
Blown540,
Yes, Upgrading to 1 1/8 would be the best and safest thing you could do,But, All you realy need to do is make sure you have a NEW AQUA-MET 22 grade 1 inch shaft in your boat. It would be a good idea to put a 1 1/8 tail shaft in the v-drive.
You don't need a larger rudder shaft, you just need to crack check your rudder.
Its a much bigger exercise than you want to go through now. The last strut I just had made for a customer took 2 months. There is only one reputable place that makes them.
If you have access to a 1 1/8 strut then thats great, put it in, but, What you will be doing has ben done a 1000 times, you want to be sure you have good parts in it, because you will be reaching the working limits of the 1 inch parts.

schiada96
05-08-2002, 07:19 AM
Tom what do you think about K-500 monel? I have a 1.000 shaft in mine.

V-Drive Tom
05-08-2002, 07:43 AM
SCHIADA96'
That is also good material. You have a blown motor in a larger boat, I wouldn't run it forever.(2 years-smart,5 plus not smart) I feel it's smart money spent to have a GOOD quality shaft in your boat.
(And yes I would love to sell you one! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif)

Costello
05-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Tom,
Do you think the lifespan on Aquamet is longer tha K-Manel? As I understand it, the Aquamet has excellent "memory" properties, as well as being corrosive resistant. The corrosion resistance isn't such a huge issue anyways as our boats spend very little time in the water anyhow. What is a good time limit to run Aquamet shafts?
Thanks...
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited May 08, 2002).]

V-Drive Tom
05-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Costello,
I think under standard high performance useage that they are probably equal. AQUA-MET 22 has just proven to be the best. (Not galling in the taper, and lasting longer)( top fuel and alcohol boats) Aqua-met 19 is great also for standard high performance.(saves about $75.00) I think any high performance lake boater that doesn't know what material he has or how long its been in there, SHOULD BUY A GOOD SHAFT!!

Costello
05-08-2002, 09:50 AM
OK, How much for a new AM 22? I treated many stub shafts from Tedesco's TFH last year that were getting hammered. We reduced the galling to some extent, but they were still getting hammered pretty hard. I think on something like that, Maraging type steel may be better. I know there is someone doing input/output shafts for V-Drive in marage but they were big $$$$$$$$.