PDA

View Full Version : Prop strut bearing.

stilettovdrive
07-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Hello dudes
This may sound like a stupid Question, but please bear with me.
What kind of bearing is sitting in a prop strut?? Needles?? nylon??
A freind of mine is making all the hardware for my boat in stainless steel, so i'd like to know.
Thanks,the viking.

Hud
07-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I use a fiber one!

superdave013
07-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Fiber with slots in it for water to go through. This might be one part you might want to buy. They cost about 10 bucks or so and shipping should not be to bad.
How is your strut going to attach? Bolt to the bottom or drop through and attach from the inside?

126driver
07-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Rex Marine has what you want: Strut Bushing (http://www.rexmar.com/page134.html)

stilettovdrive
07-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks, i'll buy one.
Its gonna be a drop throug strut in polished stainless. Same as the rudder.
The viking.

GofastRacer
07-15-2003, 07:50 PM
BTW, you cut the bushing in half and put one on each end of the barrel!. Just in case you didn't know!.. :)

BILLY.B
07-16-2003, 03:55 AM
Another little tip in the "case you didn't know pages of strut bushing installation". I always mark the ends of the bushing so when I have cut it in half I make sure the slots are lined up in the barrel and the marks are also lined up on each end, lets say at 12 o'clock for example. I have found that when I do that I haven't had to use a remer tool to get the bushing opened a little to get the prop shaft back in. I was told that there not always perfectly round so I would mark it to make sure it went back together just as it was before I cut it. Might sound kinda WACKY :rolleyes: but it works wink

Moneypitt
07-16-2003, 08:57 AM
The grooved fiber cylinders are sometimes refered to as "Aqua-lube" bushings. As the name implies they are lubricated by water, never turn the prop under power when out of the water, or the odor you smell will be the bushing burning up....Moneypitt

stilettovdrive
07-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone
Once again i am a lot more wise, thanks to you all.
I have discovered that i can buy these bushes at volvo penta, Meaning in Denmark or Sweden
"water lubed" Bronze or nylonbushes are they called.
It's a lot easier to look for something, when you know what to look for, so thanks again.
The viking.

Sangster
07-17-2003, 02:47 AM
Stiletto...Check out the photo pages HERE (http://www.v-drives.com/) ...There are pics of a Glen-L V-Drive that might answer some questions for you .... :D

stilettovdrive
07-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks, Sangster
I am apparentley not the only one nuts enough to build a boat.
I have made some drawings of things and i am sure i have figured it out. But where the f... is my drive???
I hate shipping.
Should have built that canoe and picked it up myself, it would have been faster,Cheaper, and i probabley would have gotten myself a homecoocked meal before heading home, and some huge biceps, from all the paddling :D :D :D .
Well life isn't always fair, my only comfort is the great joy that expectation sometimes give, so i will have to take another "dryride" in the shop tonigth.
Thanks again.
I will be back at the sandbar with some dirty jokes shortley.
The viking.