PDA

View Full Version : Drinkin and Boatin

Riptide01
07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Hey,
The guys over in the Big boat forum seem to think its o.k. to drink a few beers. Then make a few 100 m.p.h. runs down the river.
And life vests are silly....
Am I missing something?
I must be getting old.

Sangster 79
07-16-2002, 10:29 AM
No, we're jest more responsable as the daze goes by..It's scary to think what happens when things suddenly go wrong at speed when your sober,let alone after a couple cold ones. Running your boat and drinking is stupid...It's also putting everyone at risk.
Even the people on the beach......

stressedout
07-16-2002, 10:40 AM
I must be gettin old too..... Maybe this is why I'm gettin older, cause I never drive the hydro while drinking and don't take riders that have been drinking, and yes I do wear my lifeline chute jacket on the fast passes. Nothing against drinking just lost too many friends in alcohol related crashes.I can wait till I'm on the trailer to have that cold one. Sometimes people just don't get it till it hits close to home.

Riptide01
07-16-2002, 11:30 AM
I guess a big, high dollar boat makes you bullet proof.
I got blasted for my opinions.
That will teach me to jump forums....

superdave013
07-16-2002, 11:50 AM
And from the sounds of things. Some of those people went to jail for doing it last weekend.
Have I done it myself? Yup, but I hope that I now know better. I try real hard not to drink AT ALL when I drive a boat. I did that all through my 20's and got away with it (luck). Got poped for doing it in a car 11 years ago. Paid dearly for that one. I just can't have the trouble in my life that it could bring.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited July 16, 2002).]

boatguy222
07-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Riptide,
When they are locked up they will change their tune, It and idea who's time has come! Drinking and boat gives all boaters a bad name, especially Hot Boater!!
BTW Are You and Superlite coming to Scooteney this weekend? If so, come by the PS-222 and say hi.
Marc

63stevens
07-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Just look at what happened to those guys testing that new HTM. I don't think they were even drinking but they didn't have vests on. If they would have had vests on maybe they would have survived.

Riptide01
07-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Hey Boatguy222.
I havent talked to Rick. I know he wants to attend some more races. Boy is he after me to get his painted.
I unfortunatly can not make it. I have my final open water dive for my diving certificate.
Its pretty important to me. Then I can go pull some fools from the water...
Isnt there a race in Elma?
Do you have a copy of the rules and schedule you could e-mail me?
Circle jerk never got back to me about helping out at the races either.
I will be coming to at least one race this summer.
Good Luck this weekend.
Jeff
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited July 16, 2002).]

Riptide01
07-16-2002, 01:54 PM
I brought up the point of the HTM incident.
Check out the thread: Lake Elsinore sucks ass.
Under Hot boats , Hot spots.

126driver
07-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Riptide01:
I guess a big, high dollar boat makes you bullet proof.
I got blasted for my opinions.
That will teach me to jump forums....
What were you doing over there in the Ship Forum anyways? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

WILDERTHANU54
07-16-2002, 02:22 PM
WELL, I OWN A FLAT THAT EASILY CAN RUN IN THE MID 12O'S! THE RULE FOR ME AND SOME OF MY BUDDYS THAT HAVE FAST RIVER FLATS IS, THE FLATS DONT GO IN THE WATER AFTER A BEER! SO IF WE ARE PLANNING ON GOING TO LOST LAKE AT DUSK, OR EVEN SUN-DOWNING IN FRONT OF OUR PARK IN PARKER, WE'RE DRINKING WATER ALL DAY! SO IT IS USUALLY ONLY MORNING TIME RUNS IN THE SUMMER, CAUSE WE LIKE TO PARTY!! AS FOR LIFE JACKETS, WELL I HAVE A POKER RUN AND A CHUTE JACKET! BOATS ARE DANGEROUS, I WOULD LIKE TO STAY ABOVE WATER IF I DUMP MINE!!
GEOFF
[This message has been edited by WILDERTHANU54 (edited July 16, 2002).]

coolchange
07-16-2002, 03:04 PM
The older you get the more stories you can tell, and if you've gotten older they aren't about you.

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Riptide01:
Hey,
The guys over in the Big boat forum seem to think its o.k. to drink a few beers. Then make a few 100 m.p.h. runs down the river.
And life vests are silly....
Am I missing something?
I must be getting old.
Since you obviously feel strongly about your opinions and I obviously feel strongly about mine why don't we talk them out and find out why each of us has these views?
Or are you going to run over to the outboard forum and start talking about what a dumb ass I am next??
P.S. I think that running over here and posting what you did is a chickenshit move, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here and talk as "grown ups." So long as you don't just "condemn" and actually listen to the reasoning behind the statements.
I'll start first. Would anyone in here disagree that running triple digits in a flat or v-bottom is ALOT more "hairy" then doing it in a Mach26 or a larger Cat?
Would you also agree that the amount of skill req'd to drive a flat or just about any V-Drive for that matter is WAY ABOVE what it takes to drive a big I/O cat? When I say way above I mean WWWWAAAAAYYYYY AAAAAABBBBOOOOOVVVEEEEE.
You can literally put a guy that's never driven a boat before into a big cat on smooth water and so long as he goes straight there's almost nothing he can do to make something go wrong (that's providing the trim switch on the throttle is adjusted to just allow "trim" and no more) I'm not saying that you can throw caution to the wind when your dealing with this amount of horsepower and speeds, I'm just simply saying the two enviroments are night and day different.
I highly doubt that you could stick someone that's never driven a boat before into any kind of V-Drive flat or V-Bottom and have them cross the century mark. Whether that be from them just not having the nuts to do it or otherwise.
Having a "couple" of beers over a couple of hours then getting into a 26' boat and taking a quick blast isn't exactly what I call living on the edge. Providing there's no Sea Doos to cross your path etc.. it's relatively safe.
Going out in a 110+mph flat in any occasion is kinda living on the edge. An inexperienced driver can make a mistake and get himself killed. It takes ALOT less attention to detail to drive one of these big yacths then it does to drive a river rod.
I guess a good way to prove that skill thing.. How many of you guys feel confident that you could go get in a Mach 26 and come back breathing? Now take all those guys that own them and put them into YOUR BOATS.. Whatcha think?
RD

pgf127rt
07-16-2002, 04:00 PM
riptide, there are some people who will never learn until the obvious finally happens to them, or someone close to them, and yes as SD said we have all been guilty of drinking and boating, but most of mine was in the 20 ' jet boat, I too thought I was bullet proof.
Before I started racing drag boats I went to the river every Sunday and watched the fast boats run, most were drinking, hardly any wore lifejackets, I knew I wanted to go fast in boats but not in that haphazard way, so I chose to go pro racing with the SDBA, and I have never regretted my choice, because you get a lot of respect for what happens when a boat crashes and the importantance of safety equipment, and it sure is nice when there are qualified rescue people there to take care of you.
I make some exhibition passes in flats at the river but not witout my gear and a boat in the water in case I go on my head.

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 04:07 PM
PGF127, No, I don't think I'm bullet proof.
It's really easy to argue from the point of "safety first" and I don't necesarrily dissagree with it. I'm just saying that you can go overboard on safety. Yes I have known people that have gotten killed in fast boats. I'm just saying that in these big boats it's not quite as hair balls as ya might think.
As far as the HTM incident that's a completely different deal. To be perfectly honest with you I'd rather not talk about it, but I will say that the conditions were less then optimal for speed passes, combine that with a mechanical failure (most likely) and you have what you have.. It's not really our place becuase we don't really know what happened.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave2 (edited July 16, 2002).]

DUCKY
07-16-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm not even old(24), and I say that is really stupid! I don't even allow alcohol in my boat (unless it's in the fuel tank!)

WILDERTHANU54
07-16-2002, 06:32 PM
WELL, NOT TO TAKE SIDES, BUT I DO ALLOW DRINKING ON MY DECK BOAT,I WAS RASIED AT THE PARKER STRIP!!! I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE A FEW MYSELF, AND THE GIRLS ARE ALWAYS A LOT MORE FUN WITH A FEW IN 'EM! YES DAVE, BIGGER BOATS ARE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING THEM (MY FLAT STAYS ON THE TRAILER). I DROVE A 26' HALLET AT ABOUT 90, IT IS WAY MORE FORGIVING. ON THE OTHER HAND I WAS NOT DRINKING, THEY DON'T STOP WHEN THAT 10 YEAR OLD WITH STUPID PARENTS PULLS IN FRONT OF YOU. FOR ME THREE BEERS OVER A COUPLE OF HOURS IS OK, AND I'VE BEEN DRIVING BOATS SINCE I WAS 8 YEARS OLD. I MEAN WE'RE AT THE RIVER!! IF YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SIDE OF THE RIVER TO BE ON, STAY AWAY FROM PARKER, WE DO PARTY.
GEOFF
[This message has been edited by WILDERTHANU54 (edited July 16, 2002).]

WILDERTHANU54
07-16-2002, 06:33 PM
ON ANOTHER NOTE!!! I AM ON THE V-DRIVE FORM TO TALK ABOUT V-DIRVES!!!

Riptide01
07-16-2002, 09:11 PM
RD,
Thats chicken shit ?
You seem to hate to be questioned on these forums.
Can safety be taken over board? YES.
We recently had a thread going that addressed the capsule subject.
It was pretty spirited.
Yes , Maybe the BIG boats are easier to drive and more forgiving.
But like you mentioned, Mechanical failures do happen. And I dont think the Big Expensive boats come with a brake pedal.
And I suppose there is never anything floating in the water, that might upset the boat.
Throw alcohol on top of all that and SHIT HAPPENS.
We all know alcohol effects people differently.
Yes , I would enjoy discussing our views face to face. Maybe over a beer on the dock.
Later, Jeff.

stressedout
07-18-2002, 04:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coolchange:
The older you get the more stories you can tell, and if you've gotten older they aren't about you.
Coolchange
Well said.....
I don't consider myself old [45] but I have been around boats all my life,and have seen it all.Before I started racing I was on the safety-rescue team and saw first hand what can happen. And these guys aren't drinking and are in a controlled enviroment.It doesn't matter whether your in a hydro,flat,jet,tunnel,etc.if your going fast in a boat you better be 100% alert. On the lake that I go to,
I am the guy that everyone asks why aren't you out there racing....
My answer...I'm sober and I can see the water conditions.I have had boats come over in my lane more times than I can count,pull up along side of them and there sittin there with a beer asking why I let off.I can go on and on but I will stop here.I use to try and talk some friends out of drinking and racing there boats and it didn't do any good,now I don't have to tell them anymore,cause there no longer with us.
It's like I said in my previos post.....
Some people just don't get till it hits close to home.
[ July 18, 2002, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: stressedout ]

V-Drive Tom
07-18-2002, 09:29 AM
It just isn't smart. Everbody handles things differently when high, BUT NOBODY does things BETTER when high. The consequences are too high when driving a hot boat, around other people. We are all free to be stupid and hurt ourselves. I had to QUIT Drinking and the rest, 13 years ago,or die. Im alot happeir now, and found out I CAN have a good time without be on the MOON! Sorry to ramble, just wanted to post on this new format. TOM..

Riptide01
07-18-2002, 10:12 AM
River Dave,
I appoligize for what you call a Chicken shit move.
Sorry if I came across the wrong way. But yes, Maybe someone will remember this some time.
Later, JEFF eek!

126driver
07-18-2002, 10:20 AM
1. Make your high-speed passes in the AM.
2. Put your boat on the trailer. Leave it there.
3. Lean up against it and party like a rock star. Firing it up late at night is ok. :D
4. Go to bed/passout.
5. Repeat as necessary.

SUPERCREWJOHN
07-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Well..well. I think that Saftey should be the first issue before anything else. Too many people forget that you are always taking someone elses life into your own hands. I think also that drinking in moderation on the boat is ok as well. What I think if f&*&king stupid is throwing down any amount of booze and attempting to push your boat to the limit. Your not only going to cause injury to yourself eventually, but you will also most likely severely injure someone else.
To many people do not respect that boats DO NOT HAVE BREAKS!!! or training wheels or wheels on the bottom of the boat :D
I think when your doing your highspeed stuff you need a Lifeline Saftey Vest and a Kill Switch attached to your vest ( for the driver that is) at a minimum,,

Sangerboy
07-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Lot's of interesting opinions guys- here's another one. I think it is fine to have alcohol on the boat and consume it, just not by the driver. It is foolish to operate a boat at any time with alcohol in your system, much less at 150ft/sec. Alcohol is a drug, specifically it acts as a central nervous system depressant. I know, I know- everbody is a stud and can handle their booze but plain and simply even 1 beer will slow your reflexes and alter your judgement( even if you're "de-sensitized" to it's effect). Especially at Parker on a hot day. When you're dehydrated the effect of the beer is magnified. I personally wouldn't ride in a car with somebody who's had 2 or 3 beers over the last 2 hours nor would I ride in a boat with them.

126driver
07-18-2002, 03:12 PM
IMO:
Just cruising in a big boat = a couple beers/hr, use your discretion.
In any perfomance small boat, esp. a flat or hydro = 0 beers, period. Too tempting to put the pedal to the wood. That's when shit happens, and quick.

Riptide01
07-18-2002, 04:55 PM
RiverDave,
Just one more question.
What are your feelings about drinking and hoping in to your Navigator?
Is there really a differance?
:confused:

WILDERTHANU54
07-18-2002, 05:30 PM
126DRIVER, BROTHER YOUR HITTIN' THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! ! YOUR POSTS MAKE ME LAUGH, THATS HOW THINGS WORK IN PARKER FOR SURE!!! THE LATE NIGHT FIRE-UP'S ARE ALWAYS A GOOD LAUGH!!! I ALWAYS USE THE "WELL LET'S MAKE SURE IT FIRES FOR IN THE MORNING", THAT GIVES ME A GOOD REASON! ! ! WE'RE FAMOUS FOR THE AFTER ROADRUNNER BOAT PARTIES IN MY DOCK. THERE WE CAN GET AS STUPID AS WE WANT, NO ONE HAS TO DRIVE!!
GEOFF

Backfire
07-19-2002, 08:51 AM
RiverDave-
Your first reply about this subject appears to only address the safety of the hypothetical "big cat" driver and his passengers. While any smaller boat may be way hairier at 100mph, what all boats going that fast have in common is that the abilty to turn or stop is diminished to the point that you've gotta see and identify every potential hazard as far ahead as possible. Sometimes the amount and type of hazards make the speed inappropriate. If the degree of impairment causes a boater to misjudge appropriate speed and operation, then I pray Boatcop will take him out! I don't want to be hit by any boat going 100mph, but I'm certain a 26'cat is going to do me more damage!

pgf127rt
07-19-2002, 09:49 AM
Here in Texas the lawmakers have solved all of the controversy over how much is too much, along with a new no open container law in a vehicle, they also include no one who has been or is drinking will operate any watercraft,no exceptions, if you are caugt driving a boat while drinking it is off to the pokey for a breathalizer or blood test, if you refuse it is an automatic suspension of your vehicle driver license, what this means is there is no tolerance while driving a boat, you are guilty until proven innocent, so it is not a smart choice anymore.

future boater
07-19-2002, 12:43 PM
RiverDave
Don't Drink and Drive really does roll off the toungue though. Catchy slogan if ya ask me. wink
RD[/QB][/QUOTE]
well if you didnt drink and drive how would you get anywhere? just kidding guys...i spoke how i felt about this whole subject with charlie a while back. to say we dissagreed would be an understatement. rd you are an exception to the law. meaning you are probably one of the only ones that behaves this way when drinking. that is why no one condones it.

Backfire
07-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Big boats, like big rig trucks get their comfort and stability at speed from the fact that they have big weight and mass. It takes a lot to get them rolling and once doing so they aren't as much affected by road or water imperfections as their smaller bretheran are by the same conditions. I don't believe that because a big boat is more comfortable at speed it becomes automatically appropriate for it's owner to drive it faster than conditions allow. Because a young hillbilly is comfortable driving that big Kenworth down the highway at 90 mph doesn't mean it's safe or that we as motorists aren't terrified when he passes us! All I'm saying is:
Know your boats limits
Know your limits
Know the limits of appropriate behavior
Display courtesy not rudeness
Be Safe
Have a beer
big boat= more mass= more stopping distance and more evasive space requirement
big boat=big responsibility= need for more awareness

pgf127rt
07-19-2002, 01:53 PM
future boater:
RiverDave
Don't Drink and Drive really does roll off the toungue though. Catchy slogan if ya ask me. wink
RDwell if you didnt drink and drive how would you get anywhere? just kidding guys...i spoke how i felt about this whole subject with charlie a while back. to say we dissagreed would be an understatement. rd you are an exception to the law. meaning you are probably one of the only ones that behaves this way when drinking. that is why no one condones it.[/QB][/QUOTE]
RiverDave,
if i remember right there was no voice other than the lawmakers who enacted this legislation, right, wrong, or indifferent we didn't have a vote, but to not abide by this law has some lasting repercussions. The reasoning behind it was the amount of boating deaths attributed to alcohol, and down here the Game and fish Comm. is the main enforcement body and with a law written as such, they can cause a lot of problems for boaters, and have before the law was written.

FLYTE RISK
07-20-2002, 01:01 PM
I dont know, I live on the ca. delta, and am out there every weekend in my ski sanger.. besides the yuppys who have to have a ski boat go down finance it.. Have never been in a boat before. THE big boats [not all] going 90 + in narrow sloughs make me the most nervous. Try having a 4 year old in the water waiting for the rope and here comes a skater 90+ the thought of him being sober or not doesnt even cross my mind, just hopefully he can see me and slow down does. I love to party also but any boat at any speed can kill especially those big ones.....