PDA

View Full Version : Need your opion?

dexman
02-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I bought my 16 year old son a jeep for his birthday.One of the conditions was that he maintains at least a c average? In my opion that is not asking much.I told him if gota D or Fail i would sale the jeep. Well he got a D AND FAIL. I have told him the jeep goes up for sale. Little history my son is a good kid he does not mind working, ( works at Wendys) he does not do drugs ( that I know of) not a gang banger. Grades are his down fall? He is smart when he applies himself. His grades at the 10 week where all passing but WHAT THE F HAPPEN IN TEN WEEKS. He was to get his Drivers licence on the 19th of the month. Help me give me your opion the truth What should I do. My friends and hot boat shrinks? LoL

Daytona100
02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't,t sell it but I would yank the keys until his grades go up.Make him walk until his report card looks good. Not sure about your school district but I can look up my daughters grades and progress on line. Eliminates the surprise when you get there report card. Good luck.

RitcheyRch
02-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Someone else on the forum was going through this same issue. I dont remember what the outcome of that was.

Mr. C
02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
guess i'm a little tougher on my daughter, if she doesn't get B's or better
she doesn't drive. Mainly for the good grade discount on the insurance.
I agree don't sell it, but make him earn back. Prove he deserves it.
Good Luck

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Someone else on the forum was going through this same issue. I dont remember what the outcome of that was.
It was No Name. ;) His boy is in college and was getting into some trouble. He's kicking ass now, but the truck is still not his until the summer.
I say be a little tougher and place those expectations a little higher. Real life is like this and the kid will be a better kid for it in the long run. Yank the privileges (because it is a privilege to drive, not a right) and make him show that he deserves it and is working hard to get his act together. Best of luck to you...:)

Jbb
02-02-2007, 05:46 PM
It was No Name. ;) His boy is in college and was getting into some trouble. He's kicking ass now, but the truck is still not his until the summer.
I say be a little tougher and place those expectations a little higher. Real life is like this and the kid will be a better kid for it in the long run. Yank the privileges (because it is a privilege to drive, not a right) and make him show that he deserves it and is working hard to get his act together. Best of luck to you...:)
Excellent advice......

dexman
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
gtyty

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I bought my 16 year old son a jeep for his birthday.One of the conditions was that he maintains at least a c average? In my opion that is not asking much.I told him if gota D or Fail i would sale the jeep. Well he got a D AND FAIL. I have told him the jeep goes up for sale. Little history my son is a good kid he does not mind working, ( works at Wendys) he does not do drugs ( that I know of) not a gang banger. Grades are his down fall? He is smart when he applies himself. His grades at the 10 week where all passing but WHAT THE F HAPPEN IN TEN WEEKS. He was to get his Drivers licence on the 19th of the month. Help me give me your opion the truth What should I do. My friends and hot boat shrinks? LoL
I think you should challenge him to a Spelling Bee. If he can take you then you give him the Jeep back. I'm pulling for him!;) Good luck

Jordy
02-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I think you should challenge him to a Spelling Bee. If he can take you then you give him the Jeep back. I'm pulling for him!;) Good luck
I figured it was only a matter of time and I didn't want to be the one to suggest it. :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
I figured it was only a matter of time and I didn't want to be the one to suggest it. :D :D :D
Right there being wing man though aren't you?:D

dexman
02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
your advice is great i am going to raise the bar and if he wants the car he is going to earn it back.

Jbb
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Tough crowd...:rolleyes:

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
your advice is great i am going to raise the bar and if he wants the car he is going to earn it back.
I think that's going to be to his advantage. Let him whine about it now, he'll learn to appreciate it later.

Jbb
02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
If his grades are failing despite a genuine effort,...I would
get him a tutor...

Jordy
02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Right there being wing man though aren't you?:D
Absolutely not. I'm offering suport for a very valid suggestion... :D
Son!!!
Yeah Dad...
I got your report card and you flunked English. Says here your spelling and grammar are atro-, they're attrosh-, Hell, it just says they're really bad. Now how in the hell did that happen???
I learned it from watching you Dad!!! :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
If his grades are failing despite a genuine effort,...I would
get him a tutor...
Good suggestion.

YeLLowBoaT
02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I would sell it that next weekend. your only doing what you said you would do. School comes 1st. Oh yeah, that job he has... its gone. his work permit will be revocked.( if its not I would make him quit) So now he has no car and no money. So he will have extra time to study.

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey, I just want to see the kid get the Jeep that's all. He sounds like a good kid but that is just my opion.

dumbandyoung
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
what is a opion???
Just you wait ..Froogystlye is gonna fly in here like a bat outta hell when he sees that...Your in trouble mister!:D

Jordy
I would sell it that next weekend. your only doing what you said you would do. School comes 1st. Oh yeah, that job he has... its gone. his work permit will be revocked.( if its not I would make him quit) So now he has no car and no money. So he will have extra time to study.
You can't sell it. If it's not there to serve as a reminder, then there isn't as much incentive. Having something sit right in the middle of your carport/garage that you're not allowed to use, but get to look at every day just dangles that carrot out there that much more. Other than that, yeah, the job should take a backseat to the school work!!! :D

Devil's Advocate
Son!!!
Yeah Dad...
I got your report card and you flunked English. Says here your spelling and grammar are atro-, they're attrosh-, Hell, it just says they're really bad. Now how in the hell did that happen???
:D :D
And you are good at "offering support" for valid suggestions.

Jbb
Son!!!
Yeah Dad...
Jordyfroggystyle......
stop hating....
RD SUX...............:p

Jordy
02-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Jordyfroggystyle......
stop hating....
RD SUX...............:p
But Toney started it!!! :D :D :D
Besides, I wasn't hating, I was offering support for a valid suggestion. And the rug, it really tied the room together!!! :D

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 05:59 PM
If you could determine that work is hindering his studies then yes.

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
But Toney started it!!! :D :D :D
He has been rather ...."abrasive" lately.......perhaps he needs some bran in his diet?

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't see the need for the kid to have to work during the school year when he's in high school. A summer job, that's different. But school should be his main concentration now and should be sinking his efforts into that.
Just my "opion"..:D

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
He has been rather ...."abrasive" lately.......perhaps he needs some bran in his diet?
Abrasive? I'm just offering a way for the kid to earn the rights to the Jeep. He would have to put his spelling skills to work.

QuickJet
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
My son was having problems in school as well. I enrolled him in Silvan learning center and his grades shot up almost instantly.

dexman
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
jordy you are so funny . the grads are sliding because of girls . :)

voodoomedman
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Don't sell it but make him earn the right to use it.
School does actually kinda suck for some. I repeated a few classes in high school. Heck I repeated a few in college. My grades were where I struggled as well. I had a job during high school and during college. I'm not the read chapter 4 and answer the questions at the end of the chapter kinda guy. You want me to do math. Give my some tax forms to fill out or some wood to build something out of. Basically what I'm saying is that while other kids were getting better grades I was working because I had the smarts just not the patience for the grades. I was working for my company while in college and now I am doing well with them, am married with a kid and another on the way, have two houses a boat etc. Not bragging as I usually don't bring it up. What I'm saying is that it seems that you have a good kid with direction in his life but he just can't sit still and listen to teachers bore him with pointless crap.

dexman
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
spelling is not my best subject.

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Dammit, if he was only in college we could ask for pics of these girls. :mad: :mad: :mad:
(not that someone will read the whole post, realize they're in high school and not ask)

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Abrasive? I'm just offering a way for the kid to earn the rights to the Jeep. He would have to put his spelling skills to work.
One more outburst out of you,.....and you will be spending a night in the box...:mad:

Devil's Advocate
spelling is not my best subject.
Would have never guessed..:D :D

Mr. C
My son was having problems in school as well. I enrolled him in Silvan learning center and his grades shot up almost instantly.
my son did the Score program. helped alot as well. Sylvan is very good.

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Would have never guessed..:D :D
Why do you have to be so mean all the time??? :notam:

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Well then .....a few dates with the girl on the handlebars of his bike.....should motivate him to study...:D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Dammit, if he was only in college we could ask for pics of these girls. :mad: :mad: :mad:
(not that someone will read the whole post, realize they're in high school and not ask)
You'd ask for the pics anyway.http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Why do you have to be so mean all the time??? :notam:
Hi Pot, I'm Kettle, how are you?:D

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
LMAO.......:D :D

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Would that be Kachina Kettle??? :D

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
You guys really are a little insensitive

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Would that be Kachina Kettle??? :D
Doesn't that question need to be posed in one of the many Kachina bashing threads where you so politely "offer your support for valid suggestions?" :D

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
You guys really are a little insensitive
I have a reason...

YeLLowBoaT
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
If you could determine that work is hindering his studies then yes.
well something did, so its time to start taking away his privlages, working is one of them.... Does not really matter, the hs will pull his work permit anyways.
the Statement "SCHOOL COMES FIRST" pretty much says it all.

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Doesn't that question need to be posed in one of the many Kachina bashing threads where you so politely "offer your support for valid suggestions?" :D
I've still yet to be shown where I've ACTUALLY bashed on a Kachina. :notam:

nodigg
02-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Don't say it if you don't mean it. First rule of parenting. You told him the rules up front. Let him get by this one and what have you taught him?
remember to be his dad first and not his friend.

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I've still yet to be shown where I've ACTUALLY bashed on a Kachina. :notam:
ah hem..Just like you say you've never "ACTUALLY" bashed, I said that you were "offering support for valid suggestions." http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
Stop jacking the thread..:D

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:27 PM
ah hem..Just like you say you've never "ACTUALLY" bashed, I said that were "offering support for valid suggestions." http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
Hey, "don't paint stupid shit on the side of a boat" is a perfectly valid suggestion and it is very broad sweeping. :D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey, "don't paint stupid shit on the side of a boat" is a perfectly valid suggestion and it is very broad sweeping. :D
refer to my edit in my last post.:)

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
refer to my edit in my last post.:)
And what if I don't??? You're not the boss of me. I figure with all the correct spelling and punctuation, we're actually doing a public service in this thread for those who can learn by example. So there!!! :D

boatnam2
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
put it in the garage and wait until you see all c's.

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:30 PM
And what if I don't??? You're not the boss of me. I figure with all the correct spelling and punctuation, we're actually doing a public service in this thread for those who can learn by example. So there!!! :D
Punk! You should be expelled from this thread!:D

Jbb
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Harsh.....

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Punk! You should be expelled from this thread!:D
That's fine because I'm leaving anyway. Time to go hunting for drunk sloots up around the Bird's Nest. No bicycle handlebar rides around this joint as I got good grades!!! :D :D :D
p.s. Thinking about GT ME GED for the license plate on my car. :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:35 PM
That's fine because I'm leaving anyway. Time to go hunting for drunk sloots up around the Bird's Nest. No bicycle handlebar rides around this joint as I got good grades!!! :D :D :D
Maybe I can warn those drunk sloots ahead of time.:D

Jordy
02-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe I can warn those drunk sloots ahead of time.:D
Sloots aren't warnable. That's what makes them sloots. DUH!!! :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Sloots aren't warnable. That's what makes them sloots. DUH!!! :D :D :D
True. You're in like Flint.:D

Nicked prop
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't keep your word or expect him to live up to an agreement he entered into. It's best he learn right now that keeping a commitment isn't expected of him. Hell, if he learns from you that he needs to take obligations and promises seriously he's going to be severely limited down the road; might even have a pang of conscience about banging some gal like a bass drum in the Fourth of July parade while his wife sits at the bar or dances by herself. You could really screw up this lad's future. Gas the Jeep up for him, throw him the keys, and apologize for even thinking about keeping your word and expecting him to keep his.

Boatcop
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Sell it.
One piece at a time.
Today the left front wheel.
Tomorrow the hood.
The passenger side door the next day.
And so on.
As he watches it slowly disappear before his eyes, he'll get to the books quicker.
By the time you get down to the frame, he should be getting straight "A"s.
:D

ratso
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Is work interfering? Does anyone help with his homework? Is he involved in sports? Does he have the time to study? Does he plan on going to college? What are his plans for the future?

centerhill condor
02-02-2007, 07:09 PM
well, you should follow through or shut up! yea, its a little harsh..I think you set the bar a little low and he went right under.
yea, I know not my kid but when you establish consequences you really have to keep them.

FryJet
02-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Fallow through with what you said in a round about sort of way. Call a friend of yours that your kid doesnt know and have him come by and look at the Jeep and act like he is going to buy it. Hell, pretend to go through with the deal and have your buddy park it at his house and see what happens. If you see a major improvement after a couple of weeks and he is genuine in his efforts to improve then bring the Jeep back home and dangle it in front of him untill the next grading period. I would also say make him earn atlest B's, a C is just half assed if you ask me.
F.J.

RIVERTIME247
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i gave my son my cherried 95 silverado lowered with all the nice stuff on it with the same deal his senor year....he started to fail and i yanked it back and took it home. he begged and begged and asked for his grades and they continued to suck so no deal. he barely graduted and i told him no way not until he gets his life in order colledge good gades ect....nope her wanted to party and do what he wanted to do so i sold and put the money into a new engine for my boat. couple of years latter he's in the navy in nucular engineering ....tested so frickin high in the placement test that he's on his way. new deal finish his engineering school and i give up my 4x4 and damn proud to do it.
they grow sooner or later...hold your ground !

Devil's Advocate
02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Is work interfering? Does anyone help with his homework? Is he involved in sports? Does he have the time to study? Does he plan on going to college? What are his plans for the future?
What are you his school counselor now?:D

AZJD
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Drive that damn thing! Take his keys, and take the wife and/or girlfriend out in it and act like a teenager! It will piss him off! He will snap out of it. You paid for it, enjoy it!
P.S. Take it 4 wheelin in the mud and bring it home and make him clean it! His grades will improve, or he will kill you in your sleep!:D

Mandelon
02-02-2007, 07:35 PM
My wife pulls this all the time. Makes a threat and doesn't follow through with it. If you say you are going to do it, then do it. You have to sell it, or else you show him you don't keep your word.
You could be slick and store it somewhere then bring it back later, but it still isn't showing him you mean what you say, and you say what you mean.
In the future don't make unrealistic claims or punishments. I would sell it, just like you said. Tell him you'd consider making another deal, but he'd have to get a B average. One C, one A and a B, is a B average so he can have one subject that he doesn't do well in. But a C is just plain average. No F's, No D's.
Do you want an average kid.....or an exceptional one?

RitcheyRch
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks. I couldnt remember the persons name. Glad someone has a better memory than me. :D

No Name
02-02-2007, 07:57 PM
C average? For a Jeep? And I thought I was easy going. :confused: Had the same problem with my son last year. His grades were in the toilet, crashed his truck and took off and he was also drinking a lot. I finally told him if he didn’t get his act together I would no longer be paying for his tuition or anything else. I also took his truck away for this entire school year. Well I am happy too say that he has done a complete 180, he has pulled in a 3.5 GPA for this first semester and is kicking ass right now. I just got off the phone with him and he is even talking about taking some summer classes to make up for his first year of fock-ups.
He still won’t be getting his truck back until summer because that was the deal and I’m not going to change it just because he has done so well and he is just fine with that. In a way I’m glad that all the bad happened his first year of college and I think the lesson has been learned here (knock on wood) Right now I couldn’t be happier with my son, he is the bomb and I love him to death.
Tough love is the only way!
Goodluck.:)

Nicked prop
02-02-2007, 08:10 PM
All you folks talking shiat about about following through and setting higher expectations are missing the essence of what will help this youngster succeed as an adult. He needs to feel go about himself if he's going to excel as an adult. Forget those old-fashioned notions of honor and consequences. His self-esteem should be considered of paramount importance. There's probably a damn good reason why he got a D and Fail. Public high school is no cake walk; for instance, at least 60% of graduates can read at grade level. That should be taken into consideration when going back on an agreement. Once he learns that expectations aren't set in stone and that everything is negotiable after the fact, he's bound to become an overachiever. Besides filling the tank, you could have it detailed. Imagine how good he'll feel about himself sitting in a shiny Jeep with a full tank of gas. No damn way good grades can compare to feeling!

Jetboatguru
02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
All you folks talking shiat about about following through and setting higher expectations are missing the essence of what will help this youngster succeed as an adult. He needs to feel go about himself if he's going to excel as an adult. Forget those old-fashioned notions of honor and consequences. His self-esteem should be considered of paramount importance. There's probably a damn good reason why he got a D and Fail. Public high school is no cake walk; for instance, at least 60% of graduates can read at grade level. That should be taken into consideration when going back on an agreement. Once he learns that expectations aren't set in stone and that everything is negotiable after the fact, he's bound to become an overachiever. Besides filling the tank, you could have it detailed. Imagine how good he'll feel about himself sitting in a shiny Jeep with a full tank of gas. No damn way good grades can compare to feeling!
Its about responsibility!
They learn that with responsibilty comes rewards. When you are rewarded for coming into work late and you are given a raise when you missed 85 days the year prior, what is your MO gonna be? "Hey I get big raises when I am a turd. I think I will go against the system and work really hard" This isn't clicking.

DILLIGAF
02-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Simple as this...You already told him you WOULD sell the jeep if he failed. He did. I have been through all this and the best advice I can give you is stick with your word and follow thru with it. Consistency is the key Dex.
The lesson to learn for you is don't paint yourself into a corner.
The lesson for your son is there are consequences to his actions.
Easier said than done but that is my take on it.
Good luck!

DILLIGAF
02-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't see the need for the kid to have to work during the school year when he's in high school. A summer job, that's different. But school should be his main concentration now and should be sinking his efforts into that.
Just my "opion"..:D
Totally in agreement with you on this DA

WILDERTHANU
02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
When you are rewarded for coming into work late and you are given a raise when you missed 85 days the year prior, what is your MO gonna be? "Hey I get big raises when I am a turd. I think I will go against the system and work really hard"
You know some union workers too?? huh

squirt'nmyload
02-02-2007, 09:03 PM
And the rug, it really tied the room together!!! :D
classic

Mandelon
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I learned about sarcasm in school too. :)

xs ultra
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Give the kid a break.You said he dose not do drug or drinking.He works at Windys.Hey not every one is good at school. Dose not just hang around the house doing sh*t. Let him have the jeep.Not all kids like school.But I would also talk to him on how important a good education is.Some kids get good grades and they are up to no good.