PDA

View Full Version : Louis Vuitton Cup

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-12-2003, 11:41 PM
This is way off the subject for this forum but some people were asking about this earlier.
It's 2-0 to Alinghi (Switzerland) vs Oracle (US) in best of 9 race series. I'm afriad I have to say the Swiss challange looks very sharp, they seem to have the speed and team work over Oracle, but who knows, anything can happen in America's Cup racing. Last week the teams had to reveal their below waterline designs... Team New Zealand have unleashed a radical design which the experts are calling simply poetic. This technology is right up there with Formula One. Amazing stuff.

DaveA
01-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Kiwi,
I used to keep up with this stuff when I was living in Bill Koch's hometown of Wichita, Kansas USA (you may remember him as a very wealthy Americas Cup contender some years ago) and travelled to San Diego often. Knew a couple of serious sailors there that took the time to show me some of the stuff only insiders got to see.
Now I noticed that we have it covered on cable TV, but it is a bit surprising when you see 'boat racing' featured, change channels, and see sails, not roostertails. sleeping
With all these v-drives for sale without engines, maybe sails would be just the thing until some engines get built!
What kind of aircraft engineering do you do? Used to talk to a guy on ham radio that was in Christchurch that was a pilot like me. Just wondering. Besides this may be the only reply you get on this topic in this forum! :D
DaveA

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Dave,
I figured as much on the 'no reply' thing. :p
I work for Pratt and Whitney working on JT8D's, we do mainly work from around your side of the globe. Since 9-11 things have gone downhill and we have had to deal with huge change (as everyone in the industry has). Used to buy a complete engine for around 3-400k, now you can buy the whole Airframe with 3 engines for the same $$$!
[ January 14, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Kiwi Legend Jetter ]

Stab-n-Steer
01-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Kiwi,
Thanks for the update. It looks like even Larry Ellison's money can't buy the Cup back. It's doesn't really matter, you Kiwis are going to kick ass in the final anyway...
S&S

DaveA
01-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Yea, I was talking to a customer about it today, and he said about the Kiwis' "Whaddya expect for a bunch of guys that grew up surrounded by saltwater?? Of course they're fast- sailing used to be the only way off that island!!" Yup.
KLJ-
I've heard the thud as the commercial aviation industry has started hitting the bottom. It's not over yet, either. USAirways is in the crapper right now (biggest hub and large maint operation is 30miles away from me) and a neighbor just put his house up for sale last week. It was his dream home on this lake here, and he was one house off the runway at the adjacent airport as well. Great location. He WAS a USAirways pilot until a few weeks ago. Not no mo'.
Re engines/airframes. It's a buyers' market right now if you had cash and could let the birds sit underutilized for a bit. I just don't think I'd be that patient waiting for some sort of a turnaround any time soon, unless I wanted to start a troop charter airline to South Korea or Turkey...

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-14-2003, 11:56 PM
3-0!!!
Todays race was one of the most exciting i have seen, the yachts rammed into each other at one piont causing Oracle a penalty (360 degree turn)which they had to complete on the finish line to lose by 1 second.
Alinghi showed they are not invincible today, despite winning. This looks good for NZ hopes of keeping the Cup.

RH
01-15-2003, 12:44 AM
I agree that was the best race yet , Im a little disappointed with all the light air but I guess that was part of the challenge . Oracle hit the mark on the penalty turn which added on 1 minute so they lost by 1.01 but they looked promising I would love to see them come from behind , bet you guys [ with all due respect ] and bring the cup home to San Francisco then you would see some heavy air sailing !

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-15-2003, 01:07 AM
Thanks for that correction RH, I think most Kiwi's would agree with you. We would rather see Oracle challenging us for the cup. Alinghi has many kiwi "defectors" in their team. That hasn't gone down to well, but you can't blame them for jumping ship... wouldn't you for a squillion bucks?

burbanite
01-15-2003, 10:43 AM
KLJ,
did you work at AirNZ at all? I ask because my uncle has been there all of his working life. I'm an old Christchurchian myself.

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeap, i'm at Air NZ. If your uncle is in the engine shop i will know him.
A good performance from Oracle today to make the series 3-1. They are doing very well in the lighter conditions which are forecast for the next few days.
[ January 15, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Kiwi Legend Jetter ]

RH
01-15-2003, 09:36 PM
GO ORACLE !!!!!! I don't want to jinks them but they could pull this off . They seem to wait to the last minute to do what they need to do to turn things around .

Stab-n-Steer
01-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Kiwi,
Thanks again for the update, keep 'em coming!
S&S

126driver
01-16-2003, 08:19 AM
I hope the jet boat guys don't get in here and see the v-drive guys discussing sail boats. :rolleyes: j/k wink

GofastRacer
01-16-2003, 08:25 AM
126driver:
I hope the jet boat guys don't get in here and see the v-drive guys discussing sail boats. :rolleyes: j/k wink Shhhhhh!!... eek! :D :D

burbanite
01-16-2003, 10:14 AM
KLJ,
Peter McAlavey is his name, been there forever. He was involved in maintenance for a long time the went into management.
In these light wind conditions you will see more of a a shift from pure boat speed to relying on the experience of the crew in recognizing and predicting things like wind shift and pressure gradients.
Last nights win was a convincing one for Oracle, I hope the trend continues allowing us to see a closer series.

Stab-n-Steer
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
126driver:
I hope the jet boat guys don't get in here and see the v-drive guys discussing sail boats. :rolleyes: j/k wink Why? They're FASTER than jet boats! wink
S&S

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Burbanite,
I do know Peter, he's our QA guy, I deal with him from time to time.
Bad news unfortunately. Oracle lost again today to make the series 4-1 to Alinghi. However they were very competitive leading most of the race.
Next race is on Sunday (Saturday USA time).
Go Oracle!!!

burbanite
01-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Kiwi Legend Jetter:
Burbanite,
I do know Peter, he's our QA guy, I deal with him from time to time.
Bad news unfortunately. Oracle lost again today to make the series 4-1 to Alinghi. However they were very competitive leading most of the race.
Next race is on Sunday (Saturday USA time).
Go Oracle!!! KLJ,
Next time you see Peter tell him Steve said hello. It has been a long time since I have seen him, probably 1990/91?
I always enjoyed his company, in fact he was the pilot for my first ever aeroplane flight at 9 years of age.

Kiwi Legend Jetter
01-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Bad news i'm afraid. Oracle went down today to lose 5-1. They put up a strong challenge and lead for a good part of the race. Wind shifts outdid them again today, also a mistake at the start earned them a penalty.
Now it's "Go Team New Zealand"