PDA

View Full Version : Any of you machinist types use a CMM?

STV_Keith
02-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Just wondering what the capabilities of a CMM are? I mean, how much into 3-d will they go? I've got a piece that I'm trying to replicate, but at a scale of 1:1.3, and rather than draw it in Solid Works, I'm thinking a CMM might be the better way to go.

wsuwrhr
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
They will not measure in 3D per se.
CMM is mostly for doing point to point measuring. It is capable to measure a 3D surface, but the CMM needs some kind of program to measure a surface like I think you are describing.
You can get reverse engineering done like you are describing.
I am trying to find the company I used.
Brian
Just wondering what the capabilities of a CMM are? I mean, how much into 3-d will they go? I've got a piece that I'm trying to replicate, but at a scale of 1:1.3, and rather than draw it in Solid Works, I'm thinking a CMM might be the better way to go.

wsuwrhr
02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I am not a solidworks guru.
Are you able to replicate it 1:1 and then scale it up?
Brian

Havasu1986
02-03-2007, 08:11 PM
My wife is the machinist in the family..She runs the family business..Milling and turning mostly for Disneyland and Magic Mountain. :)

STV_Keith
02-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys. After some more looking around the i-net, it seems there are 3d-laser CMM options out there. Just need to find one that won't charge me an arm and a leg. :) Anyone have an in there?

wsuwrhr
02-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys. After some more looking around the i-net, it seems there are 3d-laser CMM options out there. Just need to find one that won't charge me an arm and a leg. :) Anyone have an in there?
RD has some connections to rapid prototyping, maybe he knows someone that does reverse engineering.
Brian