PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions.

909punk
02-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm finally taking the plunge and buying my first boat. I grew up going to Havasu with my family but got out of it for a long time when I became an adult.
So 3 years back into it.. I'm ready to buy a boat.. because I hate being the smuck with no boat and waiting for friends to ask if we (family) want to go.
I have 50k to spend, and 1997 is the oldest I can go.
So many boats...
I got it figured out that the HO is the way to go.. (maybe)
I like the look of the Commander 2800, but the space of a Placecraft deck boat. Maybe a Cheetah 24 Stiletto open bow, But god no way am I ever going to put myself in cuddy or wakeboard boat.
My use will be mostly the river going to and from the sandbar or local lakes here in the Phoenix area.. It's only my wife and my son.. But I want a open bow or even a deck for we can bring others along for the ride.
I did the Phoenix boat show.. Met Louie and Wes from Kachina.. Great guys, but 100k in not in the cards.
Next and Magic deck.. Sweet.. 105k new.. oy vey..
So.. Any suggestions.. I'm all ears.
here is my profile on myspace so you can get an idea of people we hang with and their boats. Lots of video.
http://myspace.com/909punk
Thanks in advance..
-jason

909punk
02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
:D Buy Cory's (Blackcloud75) 24' open bow Schiada, you'll need an extra 30k, but you will have a boat that will outlast any other ride you look at, and you'll have a boat that your buddies will drool over, plus mama will like the room and how it rides !!!!, look in the spam section, you can't go wrong on his ride !!!!
Only got 50k
Can't go a penny more.. But thank you for the suggestion.

Run_em_Hard
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Are you having to have new??? Thats just what it sounds like.

DMOORE
02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Are you having to have new??? Thats just what it sounds like.
No. He said it has to be 1997 or up.
Darrell.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Seems to me you could get a used Magic, Kachina, Cheetah or Ultra or anything else really for 50K. How much was NoDigg selling his boat for? I know it's gone already, but seems like there would be more out there. Now is definitely a good time to buy used as many people are unloading their boats due to the real estate economy . . . that's. . . umm . . . correcting :rolleyes:

Big Kahunaa
02-04-2007, 08:07 PM
looks like you hang in willow valley

909punk
02-04-2007, 08:17 PM
looks like you hang in willow valley
yep. small world

Get415
02-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Go down and see Bob at Cheetah. You're gonna hear all the put downs about how they are low grade and all the high end shizzz is the only way to go. Obviuosly you get what you pay for (i.e. interior good but not up to par with other top companies).
Well i can tell you i have the 24ft Stiletto w/a 496 mag, and it gets it done. And for ALOT less than the other guys are doin it. I'm sure you've been in your buddys 23ft. If you like the handling and overall construction then you can't go wrong. Its all YOUR preferance and hopefully you can get good info on others brand boats from FIRST HAND owners, not "i heard about a guy who knew a guys brothers cousin". At least for me thats how i did it and i saved $$$$$. Holler if you need additional info

C-2
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
If you stay with 97-2000 or so, you obviously get a lot more bang (size) for your buck. If you buy a boat that old - you will also know if it's a quality boat and will continue to give you years of enjoyment. By that age, stuff usually starts falling apart on inferior builds.
I have a 95 Hallett with only 280 original hours. It's still rock solid.
Troll up some old posts in the classifieds section. Builder by builder on a name search.
Even the boat show had a 2007 Fountain 29' for $96K, so with $50K in hand, you should have a few to choose from.

Phat Matt
02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Buy my 24' '02 Commander with a 496. With your 50k you'll have plenty left over for gas and beer for years. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-05-2007, 07:22 AM
OMG! You still have that thing? I thought it sold a long time ago.

Baja Big Dog
02-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Go down and see Bob at Cheetah. You're gonna hear all the put downs about how they are low grade and all the high end shizzz is the only way to go. Obviuosly you get what you pay for (i.e. interior good but not up to par with other top companies).
Well i can tell you i have the 24ft Stiletto w/a 496 mag, and it gets it done. And for ALOT less than the other guys are doin it. I'm sure you've been in your buddys 23ft. If you like the handling and overall construction then you can't go wrong. Its all YOUR preferance and hopefully you can get good info on others brand boats from FIRST HAND owners, not "i heard about a guy who knew a guys brothers cousin". At least for me thats how i did it and i saved $$$$$. Holler if you need additional info
I cant beliee this post hasnt been hammered by the high dollar ballers, its funny how these guys talk shit about Cheetah, and the next post talks about how cool the Commanders are, that is a real joke.
Go talk to Cheetah, you wont be sorry.

LHC30Victory
02-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I second the idea for Matt's boat - always solid and what a stereo!!
If ya are looking for a deck boat, get a Cheeta or a newer pontoon!!!

catman-do
02-05-2007, 07:49 AM
When we first started looking at boats we were looking in the 50-60k price range. Its amazing how fast that number crept up. Ended up just about 100k at the time of purchase on our Ultra. In the price range you are talking about we were looking at the Cheetah Fastcats, and the Genesys 25'. The cheetah was a decent boat. Nothing to brag about, but definately would be a boat to go out and have a lot of fun on. The Genesys was a nice looking boat, wasnt to happy about the guys that were running the show. Didnt seem like they knew a whole lot, and i wouldnt be surprised if they werent out of business before the warranty was up. I think you should keep in mind what companies have been around, and will continue to be around. That will ensure that you get the implied warranty coverages that you are paying for. Every boat has some problems, just like a sandrail. Its how good the company treats you after you bought the boat that counts. Ultra has treated us very well!

voodoomedman
02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I cant beliee this post hasnt been hammered by the high dollar ballers, its funny how these guys talk shit about Cheetah, and the next post talks about how cool the Commanders are, that is a real joke.
Go talk to Cheetah, you wont be sorry.
I think the following says it all. The problem on the flip side of the haters is the ones that say that Cheetah is built just as good as a Skater. It's not, but he stated that. All I know is if you have a boat that floats and gets you where you want on the water and you have a good time with your family then you've got it going on. I wave to any boat. I do not discriminate.
Obviuosly you get what you pay for (i.e. interior good but not up to par with other top companies).

Not So Fast
02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
I think the following says it all. The problem on the flip side of the haters is the ones that say that Cheetah is built just as good as a Skater. It's not, but he stated that. All I know is if you have a boat that floats and gets you where you want on the water and you have a good time with your family then you've got it going on. I wave to any boat. I do not discriminate.
Absolutely, and no prejudice here at all. Buy what you can afford and be happy. I wave to all but PWC's and fishermans. NSF

Jyruiz
02-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Absolutely, and no prejudice here at all. Buy what you can afford and be happy. I wave to all but PWC's and fishermans. NSF
Fisherman and PWC hater.:devil: :D

Jordy
02-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Buy my 24' '02 Commander with a 496. :)
Bingo. :D

Jyruiz
02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Buy my 24' '02 Commander with a 496. With your 50k you'll have plenty left over for gas and beer for years. :)
Hey Matt, your "big boobs here" link isnot working. And another vote for Matts 24' Commander.

909punk
02-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Matt, you got some pics / link?
Also, I am heading up to Havasu this weekend it looks like.. I'm going to stop by Cheetah.. They have 3 24 Stilettos already made.. Just want to see if they catch my interest.

Jordy
02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Matt, you got some pics / link?
Here is the link:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97404

CBadDad
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I cetainly wouldn't shy away from Matts boat either. I have read a lot of negative things on here about Commanders and except for That Jeff Guy all of the other comments are based mostly on personal preference. My boat is extremely solid and its paid for too.
Additionally, I have found that the Commander boat owners as a group to be a pretty cool crowd. I love mine and when I go to the River, I have one of the nicest boats around.
Best o' luck to ya!

boatnam2
02-05-2007, 09:21 AM
50k you keep looking you will be able to get something pretty nice,dont be in a rush because your in the drivers seat and the numbers are only going to get better for you.50 wil put you into some new 25ft boats and a bunch of year or 2 old boats.1997 that is 10 years old unless you just have to have a 28ft-30ft boat dont buy a boat that old.

Phat Matt
02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Here is the link:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97404
Thanks.
It's time for it to go in the boat trader. :)

909punk
02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC03821.jpg
dude.. that is a nice boat. also.. nice ah.. perks pic.
I am the king of boobies.. but more on that at a later time.

Phat Matt
02-05-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC03821.jpg
dude.. that is a nice boat. also.. nice ah.. perks pic.
I am the king of boobies.. but more on that at a later time.
I have it in Yucaipa so if you want to see it let me know.

Mrs.HLB
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi there! We have a 2004 23ft Genesis for sale in your price range. Open bow, 496 Mag, 60hours etc.. Send a PM if you want more info. It is also in the boat trader.
Thanks,
Mrs.HLB

Biglue
02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Man, the Commander cheer leaders jumped out of the woodworks on this one. :D
That 50K range should get you into a decent boat. Keep in mind you probably won't get "new" but a decent deal. Matt's 24' is a nice boat. I own a 26' and so far it's been great. Runs good and handles Havasu afternoons pretty good. IMO the cockpit, mid-cabin and open bow areas are one of the better lay outs of similar sized boats. Hope that helps you in your quest. Good luck.

Jyruiz
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Man, the Commander cheer leaders jumped out of the woodworks on this one. :D
That 50K range should get you into a decent boat. Keep in mind you probably won't get "new" but a decent deal. Matt's 24' is a nice boat. I own a 26' and so far it's been great. Runs good and handles Havasu afternoons pretty good. IMO the cockpit, mid-cabin and open bow areas are one of the better lay outs of similar sized boats. Hope that helps you in your quest. Good luck.
And Matts Commander has the flames going the right direction.:D

Biglue
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
And Matts Commander has the flames going the right direction.:D
Don't make me get all over that lava lamp scheme you have going there fokr. :D

Jyruiz
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't make me get all over that lava lamp scheme you have going there fokr. :D
First time I have heard that, thanks, I like it.:)

Nord
02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
So 3 years back into it.. I'm ready to buy a boat.. because I hate being the smuck with no boat and waiting for friends to ask if we (family) want to go.
-jason
The "smuk" with no boat is the guy having the best time IMO :)
~NORD~

Ivan Dan
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
When we first started looking at boats we were looking in the 50-60k price range. Its amazing how fast that number crept up. Ended up just about 100k at the time of purchase on our Ultra.
I'm with ya on this one.....we started looking about the same as you and now were up into the $80k range.
How many times did you say this???
"If I just spend a little more I can get what I want"

909punk
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
The "smuk" with no boat is the guy having the best time IMO :)
~NORD~
I think the AVI has enough of my money.
At lease they comp my rooms now. lol

909punk
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
don't know how old you are, or how much boating experience you have, but one thing i'd make sure I could get would be insurance, like the kind you can do a declared value for hull, engine and trailer !!! just a suggestion.
Since it will be financed.. I'm sure the bank will require it.
My agent is going to love me.

ULTRA28
02-05-2007, 05:57 PM
By the time this boat show is over there will be a lot of good deals on used boats. I know we have taken in a few good, clean used boats that are in the range of what you are looking for. I'm sure I'm not the only dealership that will have many great deals going on next week.