PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS THIS THING

SWW
06-05-2002, 12:44 PM
NEW TO THIS SITE AND ITS GREAT
I GOT A OLD FLAT BOTTOM THATS SITTING IN THE BACK YARD GOT IT WITH NO TITLE SO I GOT NO CLUE TO WHAT IT IS MAKE OR YEAR.ITS SET UP FOR BBC NOW THE BOAT IT SELF HAS NO #S ON IT BUT JUST BYE LOOKING AROUND HERE ON HOT BOAT MADE ME GO POKING AROUND IT AND I CAME UP WITH NAME SANGER THAT NAME IS ON SOME OF THE HARDWARE ILL TRY TO GET SO PIC UP IT ASLO HAS CABLE STEERING DOES THAT HELP DATE THE BOAT IF IT IS SANGER WHERE WERE THEY MADE
THANKS WALT

BADAXE
06-05-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SWW:
NEW TO THIS SITE AND ITS GREAT
I GOT A OLD FLAT BOTTOM THATS SITTING IN THE BACK YARD GOT IT WITH NO TITLE SO I GOT NO CLUE TO WHAT IT IS MAKE OR YEAR.ITS SET UP FOR BBC NOW THE BOAT IT SELF HAS NO #S ON IT BUT JUST BYE LOOKING AROUND HERE ON HOT BOAT MADE ME GO POKING AROUND IT AND I CAME UP WITH NAME SANGER THAT NAME IS ON SOME OF THE HARDWARE ILL TRY TO GET SO PIC UP IT ASLO HAS CABLE STEERING DOES THAT HELP DATE THE BOAT IF IT IS SANGER WHERE WERE THEY MADE
THANKS WALT
Dude, if you don't know what a Sanger is you must be from New Jersey or something. Sanger boats where made in Sanger, CA
[This message has been edited by BADAXE (edited June 05, 2002).]

Hustler
06-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Does any body know what the deal is with the town sanger and sanger boats, did they just name the boats sanger because that is where they built them or was the town named after the sanger family?
Hustler

Chestah Cheetah
06-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Why do you ask Hustler? Is it because Cole Boats is taken and you're thinking about "Tujunga Custom Boats?" http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/biggrina.gif

69 Elim
06-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Well, since I live here in Fresno - next door to Sanger. I can say the town came before the boats. The owner was Jack Davidson and recently passed away. There was alot of boats that came out of this area (this is all from a vague knowlege). Sanger's were built actually in Fresno - then they moved their shop to their current location (south Fresno on 99). They still build top quality ski & wake board boats today. There was also a Fresno Boat, built here. There was also a Belmont boat built here (on Belmont Street of course). Actually Belmont is still in business too. Kindsvader was local (he know lives outside of Fresno) and Hondo was built in 3 Rivers (just down the road (Visalia area I believe)). Bishoff's were built in Modesto by Mr. Bishoff. That about all I know unless I think harder and then my brain hurts. My Sanger's dash emblem says "Sanger - Fresno, CA"

Lumpy
06-05-2002, 02:26 PM
I am in Three Rivers. Yep Hondo boats were built here. Irv Brendel passed away not too long ago of cancer. Dean Staberg now runs 3-D fiberglass in lemon cove (just at the bottom of the lake) and still has those Hondo molds lying around. If anyone wants a sweet hondo boat built brand new. Just give dean a call. Cya.......Lumpy

SWW
06-05-2002, 02:50 PM
THANKS GUYS AT LEAST I KNOW MY HARDWARE IS FROM CAL. I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS REALLY A SANGER HULL AND IS THEIR ANY PLACE TO LOOK FOR ON THE OLDER BOATS FOR ID I HAVE PICS BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO POST I CAN EMAIL THEM TO SOMEONE IF THAT MIGHT HELP
IAM NEW TO ALL THIS SO PLEASE GO EASY
THANKS WALT

Hustler
06-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info on sanger guys. I was just there yesterday and was thinking about that.
walt you can up load the pic's to the ***boat media center and then post them on here, it's very easy to do.
Lumpy when you say at the bottom of the lake are you refering to Kawea?
Hustler

miller19j
06-05-2002, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE]I HAVE PICS BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO POST
Walt,
Is this it?
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/DSC00107.JPG
[This message has been edited by miller19j (edited June 05, 2002).]

coolchange
06-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Is it a flat bottom, runner bottom,flat deck bubble deck? 17'10", 18', 18'6" ? Drag hull? Circle hull transom rolls under. Sanger put hull numbers on the inside of the transom on the older boats. #1170 would mean 11th boat built in 1970. Hardware say Sanger or Stellings? Man I loved my old Sanger.
P.S. CAPS IS YELLING. - Bruce

69 Elim
06-05-2002, 03:21 PM
I've heard there is a lot of hotrodding at lake Kawea on Thursday nights. Is this true? Never been there - but not too far of a drive.

Lumpy
06-05-2002, 03:23 PM
69Elim,
I have never heard anything about Thursday night hotrodding. I am going out tommorow from about 2pm till 8pm. I let ya know. Lumpy

coolchange
06-05-2002, 03:24 PM
If thats a pic of it I would call it a 70-72 17'10" Does it have dove tail cav plates?

SWW
06-05-2002, 03:50 PM
yea thats it but whats a dove tail cav plate Thanks so much is it a sanger? the cav plate is two piece if that helps Really i dont know any thing about flats (so i feel like iam in a mack truck site as i dont know any thing about them either) Iloaded the pics and did the beer thing like some one said on other post but that i far as i got
THANKS WALT

miller19j
06-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Plates
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/tn_DSC00112.JPG
[This message has been edited by miller19j (edited June 05, 2002).]

coolchange
06-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Dove tail plates make a slight v across the back. Those appear to be straight. Plus the transom appears to roll under a little. I would call it the circle version. Prolly a 72 just guessing. A freind had a bubble deck circle Sanger and it turned like crazy but they didn't set real well on the straights. Does it have the v drive in it?

SWW
06-05-2002, 04:24 PM
coolchange sorry for yelling.Hardware is sanger also its A 1710 and I looked for # under Transom cant find any. Did they # all there boats is it possable that its early then a 70 when did sanger start making boats
Miller 19j Thanks for posting pics

SWW
06-05-2002, 04:45 PM
yep it a v drive a casale .I think its a split case model And yes There is a slight v in the bottom so does that make it a dove tail? So can I call it a sanger yet. right now just trying to figure out what i got You all been so help full
Walt

coolchange
06-05-2002, 05:07 PM
If the hardware says sanger then its a sanger. The v in the plates is looking straight down on it from left to right. But it appears to me they are straight across. I liked the Sangers better than the rest of the flats because the rise in the deck had a crown to it where most other decks were very flat. Sanger made boats in the early sixties. To my knowledge Sanger Jack cut up all the old flat and hydro molds when everyone started dying in race boats, and they went the pleasure route. I would call your's a 70-72 Sanger flat.

superdave013
06-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Looks like a cool boat to restore but that does not look like any sanger that I have ever seen.

SWW
06-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
Looks like a cool boat to restore but that does not look like any sanger that I have ever seen.
Thanks just when i thought i was getting somewhere LOL do you have any ideals
WALT

coolchange
06-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Sorry dave thats a Sanger. I used to bracket race a 71 flat in the late 70's.Was originally John Anon's "Ondaly's Ghost" Ran 138 when he ran UB/GF. I ran a mild 468 and ran in the 95-100,100-105 brackets back in the day.

superdave013
06-05-2002, 08:11 PM
Ok, if you say so. I have only seen the bubble decks I guess.

intense
06-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Ok, if you say so. I have only seen the bubble decks I guess.
Sorry dude but Sanger makes a hull just like that my buddy has one, I don't know if the one in the pic is a Sanger or not though.

superdave013
06-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by intense:
Sorry dude but Sanger makes a hull just like that my buddy has one, I don't know if the one in the pic is a Sanger or not though.
Oh, I'm not doubting him. I have just never seen one until now I guess.

intense
06-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Oh, I'm not doubting him. I have just never seen one until now I guess.
Hey do you have any new pics of your ride yet?

Kurtis500
06-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Sanger flat. Driven one just like it. Design of the cap is unique to it.

miller19j
06-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Miller 19j Thanks for posting pics
Anytime SWW,
Miller19j http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Costello
06-06-2002, 07:26 AM
That is a Sanger 17' 10" true flat, flat deck. I had one that was a 1968 model. Very heavy and very sturdy extremeley fun boat. I think the bubbledeck runnerbottoms came around in about 1974. This was the flatbottom they offered previous to the runner. After the runner very few or maybe even none of these were ever laid up again.

HavasuDreamin'
06-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Costello:
That is a Sanger 17' 10" true flat, flat deck. I had one that was a 1968 model. Very heavy and very sturdy extremeley fun boat. I think the bubbledeck runnerbottoms came around in about 1974. This was the flatbottom they offered previous to the runner. After the runner very few or maybe even none of these were ever laid up again.
The first year of the Sanger Bubbledeck was 1973. I don't believe the flat deck was manufactured after the bubble went into production. I know that the pre '73 Sanger flat bottom boats had the straight flat deck looking very similar to the one in the picture. However, all the Sangers I have ever seen including the flat decks had the dip in the fiberglass on the side of the cockpit near the front seats on each side. It was Sanger's trademark so to speak. It can be seen on their hydro as well. Eliminator and many other companies splashed this feature or line. It is seen on the 19' Eliminator Daytona and also on the 19' Eliminator Sprint v-hull among others. I always thought and still think that a pristine Sanger Bubbledeck with dual quads and OT Bassets is one of the best looking boats on the water! One day I will have one! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited June 06, 2002).]

69 Elim
06-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
The first year of the Sanger Bubbledeck was 1973. I don't believe the flat deck was manufactured after the bubble went into production. I know that the pre '73 Sanger flat bottom boats had the straight flat deck looking very similar to the one in the picture. However, all the Sangers I have ever seen including the flat decks had the dip in the fiberglass on the side of the cockpit near the front seats on each side. It was Sanger's trademark so to speak. Eliminator and many other companies splashed this feature or line. It is seen on the 19' Eliminator Daytona and also on the 19' Eliminator Sprint v-hull among others.
Sanger wasn't the only boat with the dip on the sides of the cockpit. I had a 65 Hallet flatty and 69 Elim flatty, both had this feature. Not sure who spashed who. The boat in question looks exactly like my 69 sanger - just posted pic under v-drive section under readers rides (but don't know how to link it here). Awesome boats!

SWW
06-06-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks to every one .I also think its a sanger now. ive looked around at some other old boats that i found because of is site and it is looks just like the old sangers plus it does measure right at 17'10" & it has sanger hardware and yes it does have the trademark dips

miller19j
06-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 69 Elim:
just posted pic under v-drive section under readers rides (but don't know how to link it here). Awesome boats!
Is this it? Since I am the unofficial picture poster of this topic I thought I would help out. Oh by the way Beautiful ride!
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/z9.JPG
[This message has been edited by miller19j (edited June 06, 2002).]

HavasuDreamin'
06-06-2002, 08:33 AM
Nice, Real nice ride.

SWW
06-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Miller 19j you are the pic posting guru .Thats one bad boat .can you teach us how to post pics to
WALT

69 Elim
06-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Miller19, you are the posting man! Thanks for the comps on the boat. It's just your basic small block chev (ok, 800hp)

PGF545
06-06-2002, 09:19 AM
SWW, If that thing were in by backyard the first thing I would do would be to move it to the garage and give it a little TLC. Might even be able to buff the paint out to make it look a little better. Give it a good cleanup and then add some HP and go to the lake. If that boat is anything like the old Schiada flat that dad used to have, it is going to be a kick in the butt to drive. From the pics that i have seen it doesn't look in that bad shape. Let us know how things are going with it.
Bernie

miller19j
06-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Miller 19j you are the pic posting guru .Thats one bad boat .can you teach us how to post pics to
WALT
Sure it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
1 Add your pics to the media center
2 Right Mouse click on the picture in the media center and hit properties. Then copy the “Address” shown in the properties window.
3 Paste that address into your message with “” in front of it and “” after it without the quotes.
Example “ http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/test ”
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/miller11.JPG

SWW
06-06-2002, 09:42 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/tn_DSC00107.JPG
That great thanks
[This message has been edited by SWW (edited June 06, 2002).]

69 Elim
06-06-2002, 10:22 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Swimsuit_Scene/tn_PICT0271-2s.JPG
Is the pic so small because of the resolution? Miller - How do you make the pic bigger like yours?
[This message has been edited by 69 Elim (edited June 06, 2002).]

miller19j
06-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Is the pic so small because of the resolution? Miller - How do you make the pic bigger like yours?
I do not know why they are small. The picture of the plates that I posted came out small too. I’ll try posting your picture again and see what happens.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Swimsuit_Scene/PICT0271-2s.JPG

HavasuDreamin'
06-06-2002, 10:44 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Swimsuit_Scene/tn_PICT0271-2s.JPG
When you go to copy the url address, you need to click on the picture first to it is large........then copy. If you copy the thumbnail url address........your post will be a thumbnail. Nice Picture! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

miller19j
06-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Ok I think I’ve got it. You have to open the picture up in the full-page view and get the properties from there not from the thumbnail view in the media center. Does this make sense?
HavasuDreamin' you beat me to it!

SWW
06-06-2002, 11:29 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/DSC00109.JPG
This a GREAT day Found out what a cool boat I can have and leaned how to post PICS. NOW I think ill go clean it up a bit and see if I can find all the parts.I got a couple big block motors what does take HP or Torque? Good time for new post

coolchange
06-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Looks like you have the old gear type in and out like I had. Virtualy impossible to put in gear with the motor running. If your going more the recreational route I would consider a trans. poweerglide or 400. Just a suggestion to make it easier to pull skiers etc.

Costello
06-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Uhhh, a thought just occured to me. SWW, since you are new to all of this, I just want to make sure you know that you will need a driveline cover over that driveline. The in/out will work beautifully for you, just start the boat in gear and go after warming in neutral. When pulling skiers or something, you'll have to slam it into drive. You want to minimize that as much as you can, as it beats the dog-doo out of your dawgs, but it works.

69 Elim
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
On the old in/out drives, I just used to keep it in gear all day long and just kill the motor and restart alot. Just use a new starter every year and a good battery - worked for me. dittos on the drive line cover and check for a safety collar on the v-drive.

SWW
06-06-2002, 03:20 PM
25 years ago I learned how water ski on old flat it had a side oiler 427 ford in it. First time in it I had a little bud nip in my hand and when my buddy punched it the beer funneled right out of the bottle. Then after it smoothed out at 6500 rpms He yells Watch this and he hangs a left MAN did he set me up.On the way to the boat ramp hes telling me how fast this boats was and iam like ya ya ya OK .Man was I wrong and I was Hooked on flats ever since .
I do have the guard for the shaft the only thing I dont know, is were I hide the water pump I know more now in 2 days on this site then ever did about FLATS runner bottom true flat I think i might be able to get this thing runnig again

coolchange
06-06-2002, 03:27 PM
That in-out doesn't have dogs. Its a gear coupler and near impossible to engage when the motors running. Trans is very nice if you have to deal with no wake zones and newbie skiers. If you have any cam at all and you idle at 1000 rpm your going to be moving about 12 mph.

Costello
06-06-2002, 03:27 PM
the only I dont know is were I hide the water pump
I'm not following you here. Most flats run a cam driven water pump. You could run a Mercruiser style belt driven pump also I suppose, but you'd need a crankshaft pulley to do it.

69 Elim
06-06-2002, 03:34 PM
SWW - I think we need more pics of your ride to determine what you need ta get out on the water.

coolchange
06-06-2002, 04:23 PM
I keep forgeting to ask. You just went out on day and cleaned up your yard and there it was?

SWW
06-06-2002, 04:26 PM
What I meant was that I caint remember where I stored it and yes it did run off the cam I will take inventory of all the stuff and post PICS the boat was complete when I got it but the block was shot I never ran it but I do have most of the original nostalgic parts

SWW
06-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by coolchange:
I keep forgeting to ask. You just went out on day and cleaned up your yard and there it was?
LOL no after the first ride in my buddys flat I always wanted one but they were hard to find in NJ so I bought a 72 chris craft xk18 BBC with jet I still got it well about 7years ago I found this one but didnt know what make it was but bought it because old flats just make me drool

PGF545
06-07-2002, 09:17 AM
I just went out to my back yard and I was hopeing to make a cool find, but I all I found was a bunch of dag dodo...lol.

Riptide01
06-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Hey Havasu Dreamin,
Sanger did indeed make the buddledeck before 73.My brother is currently restoring or Dads old 72 bubble deck runner bottom raceboat. They built both the flat deck and the buddledecks for a while.
Walt, check for the serial number on the left(driverside) on the inside of the transom, you may need to crawl inside with a flashlight. Let me know what,if you find them. I may be able to help with the exact year.
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited June 07, 2002).]

72 superlite
06-07-2002, 10:03 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/17_10_flat_ad_pic.JPG
Heres a pic from a Sanger brochure of the 17'10" Flat. Hope this helps. Hey Ripetide you forgot "superlite", Oh by the way when we painting it???