PDA

View Full Version : Prius owners

Kindsvater Flat
02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Anyone here have one? How do you like it?

Tom Brown
02-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I love mine. I've got it rollin on 24" spinner dubs. :cool:

phebus
02-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I put a blower on mine. I'm almost up to 24 horsepower now. :D

Kindsvater Flat
02-04-2007, 08:37 PM
with all the running around the wife does we have to do something. The expedition isn't the greatest on mileage. Our monthy gas bill just for her is close to 1k.

Tom Brown
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
... so you're thinking of going from an Expedition to a Prius? :D
Personally, I'd have a look at the Hyundai Elantra. The mileage will be off from Prius numbers but you'll save the difference in the cost of the car. What's more, the Elantra is a real nice little car. No kidding.
I used to think Hyundai was junk until I started driving them once in a while. I'm not aware that any of the Elantras in our fleet have ever broken down and two of them are over 100K kms. They all run and drive like new. You can get them for something like 18K CDN. That's around 15K US. It's a lot of car for that money and some super cheap driving.

bilgewiper
02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
My mother-in-law has a '06 Elantra which admittedly treats her well. Unfortantly for me I usually take it to the gas station for her, and if you are anything over 6'1" getting in and out of one is real headknocker, you would think little short people designed it....LOL. Although, she does get consistantly over 30mpg.

YeLLowBoaT
02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Its cheaper to buy and run a small econemy car then it is to run a prius( or any hybrid for that matter, many, many diffrent mags and other orgs have tested it... and they don't get near what they say in MPG, by as much as half they claim). So if your looking to save some cash, its not a car for you.
they are also teched way out, I worry about stuff like LCD dash and stuff...I see a very high repair bill when I look at that stuff.
I did rent one( they did not have the car that they were supose to, so they gave me most of my money back and one of them) it goes great off the line, but passing on the high was not really fun. its also funny to get out of the car and still hear it running.

charlyox
02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Got one. I use it to drive from the IE to Carson. I get 42mpg without trying and I love driving in the car pool lane alone.:D If I drive my truck to work its about $20.00 per day. If I drive the prius it is about $7.00 per day.

v-drive
02-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Got one. I use it to drive from the IE to Carson. I get 42mpg without trying and I love driving in the car pool lane alone.:D If I drive my truck to work its about $20.00 per day. If I drive the prius it is about $7.00 per day.
I have a friend that says the same thing. he gets 45/50 regurally. I drove the highlander and was really impressed with the performance. Toyota is doing great things with these cars and they show no sign of backing off. I can hardly wait for their new truck to hit the market. v-drive

catman-do
02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Ive been thinking about getting a hybrid like the civic or prius, so i could save in gas and get into the carpool lane. I am spending about 1200 per mo on gas in the duelly driving from Rancho to Newport everyday.

Outnumbered
02-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Prius and other Hybrid cars are a joke. You spend an extra $5,000 on a car that is ugly and small so you can feel good about saving $350 a year on gas (compared to non-hybrid compacts):rolleyes:. It will take you 14 years to recover your money unless you are driving 60,000 miles per year, in which case it would take you about 5 years.
If you really want to save money, buy a non-hybrid Corolla or Civic--38/40MPG for $5,000 less.

Caribbean Jet
02-05-2007, 07:45 AM
There going to offer the Prius at work for a company car. I was thinking that I might try one. The idea of driving in the diamond lane is a nice feature. I've also been told when I travel to LA that parking meters are free as well.

HM
02-05-2007, 07:49 AM
On the contrary, you'll find mine quite stationary. :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
LOl.... you displaying the 24" fender emblems? [Do they have those in canada?]
Just in case people aren't sure (what size) the emblem confirms it... :)

roostwear
02-05-2007, 09:09 AM
There going to offer the Prius at work for a company car. I was thinking that I might try one. The idea of driving in the diamond lane is a nice feature. I've also been told when I travel to LA that parking meters are free as well.
You can forget riding solo in the carpool lane in a new Prius (or any new hybrid). There were only 75,000 passes allowed and they are gone. Don't know what sense it made allowing solo drivers in the carpool lane anyhow. Friggin' politicians......

socaldj1
02-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I ordered one as a company car back in November. Of course it hasn't been delivered yet and they ran out of carpool lane stickers Monday. They anounced they were releasing 10,000 new stickers January 1, 2007 bringing the total to 85,000. But they failed to mention there were 7,000+ back logged from last year. Wonder what the Black market on stickers will be?

blown65
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
lmao, and yet ppl complain about the surcharge on a Diesel truck.
No one figures in the stupid batteries and initial cost of those hybrids when they buy them. Most arent all that appealing to the eyes either. :confused:

sangervdrive
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Personally, I'd have a look at the Hyundai Elantra. The mileage will be off from Prius numbers but you'll save the difference in the cost of the car. What's more, the Elantra is a real nice little car. No kidding.
I used to think Hyundai was junk until I started driving them once in a while. I'm not aware that any of the Elantras in our fleet have ever broken down and two of them are over 100K kms. They all run and drive like new. You can get them for something like 18K CDN. That's around 15K US. It's a lot of car for that money and some super cheap driving.
I just puked a little.

JB in so cal
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Prius and other Hybrid cars are a joke. You spend an extra $5,000 on a car that is ugly and small so you can feel good about saving $350 a year on gas (compared to non-hybrid compacts):rolleyes:. It will take you 14 years to recover your money unless you are driving 60,000 miles per year, in which case it would take you about 5 years.
If you really want to save money, buy a non-hybrid Corolla or Civic--38/40MPG for $5,000 less.
Sounds like Diesel vs gas:)

Tom Brown
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
LOl.... you displaying the 24" fender emblems? [Do they have those in canada?]
We have fender emblems in Canada but here, they read 61cm. :cool:

JB in so cal
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Of, and if anyone gets a sticker, do all of us a favor and
GO AT LEAST 70 MPH IN THAT LANE!!!
that way, you won't see a finger and flashing lights in your mirror. Every single owner of one of those just wants to see the digital readout of 50+mpg they lose track of how slow they're going:devil:

Kindsvater Flat
02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Well the loaded gas civic vs the loaded civic hybred is only about a 1000 off one another.

Outnumbered
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Well the loaded gas civic vs the loaded civic hybred is only about a 1000 off one another.
You must be comparing the SI or EX. Be sure to go apples to apples. The EX and SI are nicer trim levels with sun roof etc. The hybrid compares to an LX trim which would put you about $5,000 cheaper to buy a Civic LX.

LLGirl
02-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Its cheaper to buy and run a small econemy car then it is to run a prius( or any hybrid for that matter, many, many diffrent mags and other orgs have tested it... and they don't get near what they say in MPG, by as much as half they claim). So if your looking to save some cash, its not a car for you.
they are also teched way out, I worry about stuff like LCD dash and stuff...I see a very high repair bill when I look at that stuff.
I did rent one( they did not have the car that they were supose to, so they gave me most of my money back and one of them) it goes great off the line, but passing on the high was not really fun. its also funny to get out of the car and still hear it running.
It's not the car alone that's responsible for those reported MPG claims, but the driver has something to do with it as well. If you're going to be mashing the gas off the line, and trying to speed around people, your MPG will show accordingly. It's like that with any car. I work for Toyota, and am a carpool passenger in a Prius (my Lexus IS300 is a gas hog :D ). The driver averages 51 mpg.
What people don't understand is that these hybrids aren't made specifically for people trying to save on their gas bill. They are made to be envrionmentally friendly. Clean air and all that good stuff!! :)

Tom Brown
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
What people don't understand is that these hybrids aren't made specifically for people trying to save on their gas bill. They are made to be envrionmentally friendly. Clean air and all that good stuff!! :)
People aren't very understanding sometimes.
Can you share some links or reference some cost of ownership studies? I'd be interested in seeing what the long term benefits are. :cool:

Outnumbered
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Here is a good link for you. Complete with sources of the factual data like Consumer Reports. The fuel economy standards are actually being revised as the numbers have become so far off the real world driving conditions they are bogus. They are also going to start making the big GVWR vehicles start reporting MPG.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=6598&R=111E4EEC0

vee-driven
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
with all the running around the wife does we have to do something. The expedition isn't the greatest on mileage. Our monthy gas bill just for her is close to 1k.
food for thought. how many MPG's is your wifes life worth? hmmmmm

Kindsvater Flat
02-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I was looking at this. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_cars.shtml

Outnumbered
02-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I was looking at this. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_cars.shtml
That is a good site for EPA estimates but they are not real world numbers. The EPA has even admitted that the numbers are not accurate. Here is a little info on the new EPA fuel standards from the EPA website:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is finalizing new test methods for calculating the fuel economy estimates, which are posted on window stickers of new cars and trucks. These estimates help consumers compare the fuel economy of different vehicles for both city and highway driving. This new rule makes three important changes.
First, EPA’s new methods will bring the miles per gallon (mpg) estimates closer to consumers' actual fuel economy by including factors such as high speeds, quicker accelerations, air conditioning use, and driving in cold temperatures. The new estimates will take effect with model year 2008 vehicles (available in dealer showrooms in 2007).
Second, for the first time, EPA will require fuel economy labels on certain heavier vehicles up to 10,000 pounds (lb) gross vehicle weight, such as larger SUVs and vans. These vehicles had been exempt because they exceeded the previous weight limit of 8,500 lb. Manufacturers will be required to post fuel economy labels on these vehicles beginning with the 2011 model year.
Third, to convey fuel economy information to the public more effectively, EPA is changing the design and content of the window sticker. The new label design will make it easier for consumers to compare fuel economy when shopping for new vehicles. New labels will be required on vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2007.

PaPaG
02-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Anyone here have one? How do you like it?
Bought one in Feb of 2004, now have 51k on it and everything is working as well as when brand new. We were so impressed we bought another one in May of 2006 for my other half. To all the hybrid haters sorry but these things are great. Real world fuel figures: 46 to 48mpg average hwy and if you are light on the peddle you can get up to 51 in the city but usually average around 48 also. As for top speed I can get a verifiable 106mph constant speed getting 36mpg and stable as can be (engine gov stops you from going over that speed). We had a Ford Expedition and a Yukon Denali and by switching to the two prius' we are saving over $750.00 a month in fuel costs and just got our Gov refund for buying a hybrid for the 06 for $3144.00...not bad... still have a few gas hogs and only drive them when we feel like we want to send money over to the oil rich countries or when we need a truck....(main reason for buying them was to help stop feeding the oil rich countries that hate the USA.) We are actually thinking of buying 10 more of them for my business fleet. We are currently spend over 60k a year on fuel and with the hybrids we would cut down to roughly 20k a year and we know the toyota prius' can be abused up to and over 160,000 miles without any major problems.

Outnumbered
02-07-2007, 12:47 AM
...(main reason for buying them was to help stop feeding the oil rich countries that hate the USA.)....
Better sell the boat then.:D
Also, why not buy 10 Corollas for $170,000 and save $70,000? $70k will buy a lot of gas (also good for American oil and Ethanol companies, not just OPEC).
My brother's Corolla went 240k before the first major problem--tranny went. I doubt that those Prius will go 240k without needing some major maintenance.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for efficient cars. I just don't like the fact that we are having subsidized hybrids shoved down our throats so we can feel good about getting 10-12 MPG better than a Corolla. My dad's civic 5 speed gets 39MPG like a clock. The Corolla gets 38MPG with an auto. There is nothing wrong with that.

HALLETT BOY
02-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Anyone priced a battery pack ? How long do they last ? What happens to re-sale when the battery pack is worn out ? I think I'll start a buissness converting them to gas only when the battery packs fail ...people don't like spending $50 to $90 for a regular battery , they are gonna die when they get the estimate for a battery pack !!!

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 08:59 AM
The next generation of GM hybreds you'll be able to plug in to charge.
That will be a super BFD.
Especially if you have solar elect.

scooooter7
02-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Now you gotta buy a used one to get the car pool lane sticker. The sticker stays with the car.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I would rather get terrible mileage than drive a gutless pig.:eek:
practical is boring...:notam:

blown65
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone priced a battery pack ? How long do they last ? What happens to re-sale when the battery pack is worn out ? I think I'll start a buissness converting them to gas only when the battery packs fail ...people don't like spending $50 to $90 for a regular battery , they are gonna die when they get the estimate for a battery pack !!!
I'm sure throwing all those batteries away is great for the environment. You know ppl wont dispose of them properly.

SB
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
The new battery pack might be several thousand dollars.
I have nothing against a Prius, they are great for cities, esp people stuck in trafffic.
What bothers me a little is that it is ridiculous to have 2 drivetrains.
An electric car ought to plug in at nite, then it ought to have an onboard generator to recharge batteries. I would think 40-60 hp would do it. Gas or diesel, running at a constant 2500 rpm. Electric motors run the wheels. It should be efficient and cheap.

Racer277
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
This sticker doesn't seem that big of a deal...
http://www.kirschfdn.org/images/zev_sticker.gif
I can imagine that on the back of a F350 in the carpool lane...:D

IMPATIENT 1
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
love hyundai's, i drove 1 during school and later in college , it's still runnin around here today and when i sold it 7yrs ago, it had @270-280k miles on it.i kept new timing belts on it, changed the oil every 3k, and it treated me good, @35mpg(90 excel)

PaPaG
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Better sell the boat then.:D
Also, why not buy 10 Corollas for $170,000 and save $70,000? $70k will buy a lot of gas (also good for American oil and Ethanol companies, not just OPEC).
My brother's Corolla went 240k before the first major problem--tranny went. I doubt that those Prius will go 240k without needing some major maintenance.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for efficient cars. I just don't like the fact that we are having subsidized hybrids shoved down our throats so we can feel good about getting 10-12 MPG better than a Corolla. My dad's civic 5 speed gets 39MPG like a clock. The Corolla gets 38MPG with an auto. There is nothing wrong with that.
I do agree with you on a lot of your points. I pay 5-7 a gallon for the fuel for one of my boats but it is from a US based refinery. And yes I know at times they all share fuel but the main reason we got the prius' was to cut down where we can. I wont ever give up the boat fuel but at least we are able to cut down on the vehicle fuel. As far as reliablity goes remember they are toyota's. I have met people on some boards that have 180k + on their prius' and they have not even changed the main battery (1K when they do.) As far as cost of the vehicle, remember when you buy a prius you get back over 3k on your taxes to....We get fleet price so we only pay 25k OTD on a semi-loaded Prius, then with the $3144 return bottom line cost was only $21,500.
The corolla's price for a comparably loaded vehicle is $18500.00 OTD. Savings of only 3k per vehicle, with the fuel cost savings of 11mpg and driven at least 25k each a year it works out to the same after 3 - 5 years. Our company cars drive anywhere from 40k to 50k each a year and the cost savings would be much more.

PaPaG
02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Battery is roughly $1000 to $1300 depending on what state you are in and who you know at the dealer. Also Remember you only do that once every 120 to 180k miles. My dealer here in Vegas has not changed ONE yet since they came out at the end of 2003. They are also warrantied up to 80k miles or 10 years. (the 2004 model that is)

SHOTKALLIN
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
The prius is stupid. Why would you spend 30k+ to save a few hundred dollars on gas? If you are a trendy tree hugger then ok I understand. If you buy one to use the carpool lane then well maybe I understand....maybe. If you are looking to save gas then why not just buy a Honda civic? Hell if you really want to save money then how bout a used Honda civic.:D
If they really want to sell these electric cars they why do they have to look so GAY? Make one that looks like a corvette or a mustang and it will sell.

Racer277
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
That makes sense.
I worked with a salesman that had been in study groups on some of these cars. I asked him why they look so fugly.
He said that the studies showed that people wanting to be enviro actually liked the idea of fugly cars.
A typical car with all the same features didn't appeal to them.
Go figure..

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I have nothing against a Prius, they are great for cities, esp people stuck in trafffic.
An electric car ought to plug in at nite, then it ought to have an onboard generator to recharge batteries. I would think 40-60 hp would do it. Gas or diesel, running at a constant 2500 rpm. Electric motors run the wheels. It should be efficient and cheap.
We had the 3rd generation Toyota Hybreds (Prius) at my work.
The replacement batteries were quoted to us by Toyota at about $5.000.
They want a 14 hr labor charge too @$100 per hr,, but that seems a bit much, but it's what they insist.
So, one wonders how this will effect re-sale.
One guy at work bought both his college daughters base Hundais total price less than one Prius and two years later still runnin strong, better TRUE mpg.

Oldsquirt
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I would rather get terrible mileage than drive a gutless pig.:eek:
practical is boring...:notam:
You might want to check out the performance of the Camry or Highlander hybrids. Both offer pretty good performance and look "normal".
I'm sure throwing all those batteries away is great for the environment. You know ppl wont dispose of them properly.
Toyota has a "bounty" on used batteries. All you do is make a phone call and they send UPS to get it. I think the bounty is $250.
It DOES NOT have 2 drivetrains. The gas engine and electric motors work together, not separately. The drivetrain itself looks like any other front drive 4-cylinder. The electric motors are inside the transaxle.
The current Prius is the SECOND generation of Toyota hybrid.
They want a 14 hr labor charge too @$100 per hr,, but that seems a bit much, but it's what they insist.
That doesn't sound right at all. I suspect you may be thinking of the Rav EV you used to drive, which was a pure electric car not a hybrid. Totally different battery in that one. Prius batteries take about 3 hours to R & R. We do them occasionally for the local body shops.
EXACTLY!!. Low emissions with the side benefit of higher fuel mileage. And the "greenies" have something to make them feel like they are singlehandedly saving the planet. :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-07-2007, 07:20 PM
You might want to check out the performance of the Camry or Highlander hybrids. Both offer pretty good performance and look "normal".
Pretty good performance to who??? My grandma wouldn't drive those sleds...Lol;)

Oldsquirt
02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Pretty good performance to who??? My grandma wouldn't drive those sleds...Lol;)
Granted they aren't SS454 Chevelles or Hemi Cuda's, but they beat the hell out of the average car for sale these days and perform better than their gas Camry/Highlander counterparts. :D
Don't suppose your grandma lives in Pasadena..... :D

RT21
02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Talk about whistling past the graveyard. We are witnessing, and in some cases aiding the people that would love nothing more than see the elimination of motorsports. I am not buying into it. I love gasoline. Everything fun that I do involves gas. I also believe there is plenty of oil in the ground to take care of all our needs for a long time. Man made global warming is the biggest hoax ever to be hoisted onto the world, if the wacko's have thier way. (the US is already talking about a carbon tax) I wonder what our kids will be doing for leisure? Glad I dont have any kids. :D Oh well, they can read books about all the crazy stuff we used to do with engines. Ill just drive my prius version 15 to and from work every day like a good little servant. :)

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
You might want to check out the performance of like any other front drive 4-cylinder. The electric motors are inside the transaxle.
The current Prius is the SECOND generation of Toyota hybrid.
The LADWP had several prototype Hybreds before the first generation was avail to the public for purchase.
Super gutless, pathetic performance.
Then we recieved the first gen production mods,,, then recently the second generation production mods.
Hence three waves.
I'm not knocking hybreds. I'd never knock Toyota.
I feel they should be able to plug them in too.
The mileage is good in city driving, but has been way over estimated in highway driving.
Our fleet director insists the replacement batteries are $5 grand.

Boatcop
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
BINGO!
Modern 21st Century technology at work.
Except that we had electric ships more than 60 years ago. The 1940's icebreaker I was on had diesel electric drive. Main engines turned a generator. Main (electric) motors turned the prop shaft. Used 25% less fuel in open ocean steaming than a conventional drive ship. Much less than oil fired boiler/steam turbine drives. And I won't EVEN get into them compared to gas turbines.
Now back to electric cars.
Yeah. Plug them into the house 110vac system to charge batteries. Where do you think the power is coming from? Chances are from a coal or natural gas fired power plant. More "greenhouse" emissions. Nuclear power plants? How about spent rod disposal? Hydro-electric? A minute fraction of power supplied. And dams hurt the environment, too. Solar power? Hazardous materials in production and disposal of solar cells.
The only renewable power source we have is human power. And even we produce hazardous waste. (uric acid, methane, carbon dioxide)
Bicycles and pedal boats. That's where the enviornmentalist whackos are leading us.
Ask the citus farmers in Florida about "global warming".

Oldsquirt
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
The LADWP had several prototype Hybreds before the first generation was avail to the public for purchase.
Then we recieved the first gen production mods,,, then recently the second generation porduction mods.
Hence three waves.
The first Prius here was essentially the same as the Prius the Japanese had several years earlier. Perhaps LADWP had a few of those. That would still only be FIRST generation. Current Prius is SECOND generation of both the Prius and Toyota Hybrid Technology. If you wonder about the little Ford hybrid SUV, that's where Toyota sold there first generation hybrid technology after the current generation was developed.
I will double check on that price, but I think your fleet director has been seriously misinformed. I can guarantee that the labor number is wrong.

hoolign
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Hybrid cars are going to kill my economy! they are dangerous and cause cancer of the head! dont buy em..they are the work of the devil! :mad:

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Boatcop;2381127]BINGO!
Modern 21st Century technology at work.
Now back to electric cars.
Yeah. Plug them into the house 110vac system to charge batteries. Where do you think the power is coming from? Chances are from a coal or natural QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------
If I lived in your neighborhood Alan, driving mostly under 40 miles a day, I'd have solar panels and an electric car or mini van.
Or a plug in / Hybred elect.
It's what I had at work and it is the way to go.
Lots of people use solar to re-charge their golfcarts in AZ and it's a success.

Bense468
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Is this gaycar.com or ***boat.com???

blown65
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, either way I wont own one. I like performance, and until I have no choice Ill stick with cars like my 400hp caddy. :)

hoolign
02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Is this gaycar.com or ***boat.com???
You'll have to tell everyone about your Panthera:D

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 08:13 PM
The first Prius here was essentially the same as the Prius the Japanese had several years earlier. Perhaps LADWP had a few of those. That would still only be FIRST generation. Current Prius is SECOND generation of both the Prius and Toyota Hybrid Technology. If you wonder about the little Ford hybrid SUV, that's where Toyota sold there first generation hybrid technology after the current generation was developed.
I will double check on that price, but I think your fleet director has been seriously misinformed. I can [B]guarantee[/Bthat the labor number is wrong.
So,, trying to sell the Govt another $1000 hammer.

Oldsquirt
02-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Just called the shop to check on battery price. List is $2900, wholesale is about $2400. More than I expected, less than your guy was quoted.

Boatcop
02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
[
If I lived in your neighborhood Alan, driving mostly under 40 miles a day, I'd have solar panels and an electric car or mini van.
Or a plug in / Hybred elect.
It's what I had at work and it is the way to go.
Lots of people use solar to re-charge their golfcarts in AZ and it's a success.
You'd think so. But, as it is now, regular batteries only last about 1/4 lifespan due to the heat. What do you think the heat would do to propulsion batteries? And would an electric car have the juice to move the vehicle AND bring a 180 degree car interior down to a comfortable 70 degrees?
Look at the golf courses in the desert. You won't see many battery powered golf carts. For ease and cost of maintenance, gas is the main things you'll see.

bigq
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
If your gonna go electric go electric with performance!!!!!
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Trailer Park Casanova
02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Just called the shop to check on battery price. List is $2900, wholesale is about $2400. More than I expected, less than your guy was quoted.
With installation labor and 8% salestax = $$?

Oldsquirt
02-08-2007, 06:52 AM
With installation labor and 8% salestax = $$?
Straight from our parts and Labor guide.........
PARTS: ....$ 2985.13 |
LABOR: .....$ 319.99 |
TAX: ........$ 246.28 |
================ |
.............: $ 3551.40

Trailer Park Casanova
02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm advised we were quoted:
$4752 OTD installed.
My electric RAV has two batteries.
Either cost, it should be factored into the cost of buying a new or used one.
If they become plug-in-able, we'll certainly consider one.

Outnumbered
02-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Straight from our parts and Labor guide.........
PARTS: ....$ 2985.13 |
LABOR: .....$ 319.99 |
TAX: ........$ 246.28 |
================ |
.............: $ 3551.40
So much for the tax credit.:rolleyes: Either way, it just adds to my argument.

Oldsquirt
02-08-2007, 09:27 AM
So much for the tax credit.:rolleyes: Either way, it just adds to my argument.
Keep in mind, that price is IF it ever needs a battery. There is no specified replacement interval. My bet is that if someone ever does need a battery, they would be able to get some "goodwill" from Toyota. We have a number of Priuses that we service with approaching 200,000K that have absolutely no battery problems or indications that the battery is nearing the end of its service life. We are a very large dealership in NorCal(lots of "greenies" around here) and sell tons of these things. Very little more than normal service has been required, and "normal" service requirements are far less than a gas vehicle, so there are a lot of trade offs to consider.

dmontzsta
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I cannot believe you would not recommend a Maxima? Power, Luxury, Handing, Gas Mileage, it is like God's car.:idea:

dmontzsta
02-08-2007, 12:32 PM
you are fricken retarded
ohhh...you are STUPID! ohhh

Oldsquirt
02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm advised we were quoted:
$4752 OTD installed.
My electric RAV has two batteries.
Either cost, it should be factored into the cost of buying a new or used one.
If they become plug-in-able, we'll certainly consider one.
Maybe your fleet guy gets a little something back from the dealer? ;)
Your Rav EV has 2 batteries or 25 batteries. Depends on how you count them. 2 batteries = one 12 volt for the basic electrical system plus one "traction battery pack" for the drive system. 25 batteries = one 12 volt plus 24 separate batteries wired in series inside the traction battery pack.
I don't think you will see a Toyota hybrid that can be plugged in any time in the near future, although I have seen programs showing vehicles that have been converted by owners. That would require a totally different battery pack than what is currently in use, and that would also equal a lot more weight as the battery would have to be more like what is in the Rav EV. That thing is HEAVY. Prius battery is only a bit larger than a suitcase and can be lifted by one person. You never know what may be on the drawing boards, though.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Not likely.
We decided to lease our fleet on the strength of the numbers.
The new ones are nice.
The gas only Corollas are excellent too.

PaPaG
02-08-2007, 11:29 PM
The prius is stupid. Why would you spend 30k+ to save a few hundred dollars on gas? If you are a trendy tree hugger then ok I understand. If you buy one to use the carpool lane then well maybe I understand....maybe. If you are looking to save gas then why not just buy a Honda civic? Hell if you really want to save money then how bout a used Honda civic.:D
If they really want to sell these electric cars they why do they have to look so GAY? Make one that looks like a corvette or a mustang and it will sell.
30+K, wrong. You can get them for 25k out the door plus you get a $3144.00 tax refund...just got our second refund so net cost is under $21,900.00. As for funny looking yep they sure are but hey it is something different, Got tired of driving a truck or SUV that every body and their mother drives. Also not about saving money that is just an added bonus...

PaPaG
02-08-2007, 11:33 PM
So, one wonders how this will effect re-sale.
One guy at work bought both his college daughters base Hundais total price less than one Prius and two years later still runnin strong, better TRUE mpg.
The Toyota Dealer quoting you that price is nuts, you can go right to any Toyota dealer and get the replacement battery for under $1500.00. 100.00 an hour boy he is not in line with all the other Toyota dealers that we have researched. Desert Toyota only charges $65.00 an hour labor max. As far as resale goes check out the ads, they still get 80%+ of orginal cost of vehicle after 2 years (2nd generation from 2004 to 2006)

PaPaG
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Super gutless, pathetic performance.
Then we recieved the first gen production mods,,, then recently the second generation production mods.
Hence three waves.
I'm not knocking hybreds. I'd never knock Toyota.
I feel they should be able to plug them in too.
The mileage is good in city driving, but has been way over estimated in highway driving.
Toyota is working on their over seas version to comply with US auto DOT guidlines. They already have test Prius's that are Plug in prototypes that get up to 125-175mpg, GB also allows the plug in type that use lithion ion type batteries. (they have a bypass switch that allows you to run purly on batteries too) They can get up to 200mpg.
Also have your Fleet director call around, that price is way out of line.

PaPaG
02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I cannot believe you would not recommend a Maxima? Power, Luxury, Handing, Gas Mileage, it is like God's car.:idea:
Maxima? 45% owned by the french, do you really wanna go there?

SHOTKALLIN
02-09-2007, 01:34 PM
30+K, wrong. You can get them for 25k out the door plus you get a $3144.00 tax refund...just got our second refund so net cost is under $21,900.00. As for funny looking yep they sure are but hey it is something different, Got tired of driving a truck or SUV that every body and their mother drives. Also not about saving money that is just an added bonus...
when they first came out people were spending 40k.
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2200/folder13934/img1356213med.jpg
these guys got a deal on thier prius

PaPaG
02-09-2007, 01:49 PM
when they first came out people were spending 40k.
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2200/folder13934/img1356213med.jpg
these guys got a deal on thier prius
Maybe the same brain dead people in California that were paying 600k for a 300k havasu house but not anybody I know especially the ones that did their research. I bought our first one on Feb 1st 2004 while it was the first of the second gen and real hot with a 60 day waiting list (only waited 5 days) from a fleet toyota dealer in Vegas for $23500.00 Out the door package 4 not counting the tax incentive (back then only 2k return) I paid only 21500.00.
Also, just paid only 25,500.00 out the door for another new one with package 5 and just got our refund of 3144.00 so it only cost us under 22400.00 OTD.

blown65
02-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Until they make a halfway stylish Hybrid or "Green" car that can perform halfway decent, I'm sticking to the hated cars. That and I only drive 5 miles to work, so really it would take me forever to recoup the extra the car would cost anyways.
Cant tow the boat with them, so that shoots down my truck.
Cant put hybrid motors in the houseboat. LOL
Maybe DCB could off a "Custom" Green boat. :D

OutCole'd
02-09-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.lexus.com/models/GSh/

blown65
02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Thats not bad, prob is we have no Lexus dealer here in my hick town. LOL
25/28mpg isn't anything all that exciting either. My 400hp Caddy gets 25 highway. (only 16 city though)

PaPaG
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Until they make a halfway stylish Hybrid or "Green" car that can perform halfway decent, I'm sticking to the hated cars. That and I only drive 5 miles to work, so really it would take me forever to recoup the extra the car would cost anyways.
As far as performance goes these things can keep up to or surpass any comparable import or domestic vehicle on the road, I drive mine back and forth to AZ from NV every weekend, cruising at 75 or passing at 90 I have had no problem in over 3 years.. at high speeds it's stable as any other import I have ever owned or driven. Now as far as looks go, it is an aquired taste, lol ok it's a funky looking car but hey it's unique, reliable and roomy. Just a bit smaller than the Camry.

blown65
02-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry, but there is no way you can compare a Prius to a CTS-V. The lexus maybe so, but not a Prius.
I actually like the idea of the Lexus if it got better MPG, otherwise its pointless to me.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm with you on this except I doubt I'll ever buy a hybrid period...
My daily driver is a 66 stang. I paid $3,700 for it and have a little over $10,000 in it now doing everthing myself. It has a few hotrod parts yet remains 91 oct friendly. I put 50 miles a week on it and really could care less that it only gets 10 mpg. The beauty of this set up is, the car will only go up in value not down and its reasonably fun to drive.
Before
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/Copy_of_DSCF0770.JPG
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/normal_Copy_of_DSCF0771.JPG
After
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/Copy_of_DSCF0932.JPG

G-Body
02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I find it very funny that all the greenies buy them and think they are saving the environment. Then they think that because I put a larger, higher HP engine in my car I am destroying the environment. (My new engine is not only larger and more powerful, it also gets better fuel mileage and has lower emissions that the engine it replaced). Then I find it really funny to find out that the factory that refines the nickel for the prius batteries has destroyed thousands of acres of land and is responsible for some of the worst pollution in north america.
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/11/nickelmine181106_468x309.jpg
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...in_page_id=1770
EDIT: the first link is the pic of the factory, but I cannot get it to insert in this thread. None of the usual "insert pic, hyperlink, quote ....etc" or even the smilies come up when I try to post. I even tried putting the [IMG].....[IMG] tags on manually which works on all the other V bulletin boards that I am on. But still no luck

PaPaG
02-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I find it very funny that all the greenies buy them and think they are saving the environment. Then they think that because I put a larger, higher HP engine in my car I am destroying the environment. (My new engine is not only larger and more powerful, it also gets better fuel mileage and has lower emissions that the engine it replaced). Then I find it really funny to find out that the factory that refines the nickel for the prius batteries has destroyed thousands of acres of land and is responsible for some of the worst pollution in north america.
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/11/nickelmine181106_468x309.jpg
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...in_page_id=1770
EDIT: the first link is the pic of the factory, but I cannot get it to insert in this thread. None of the usual "insert pic, hyperlink, quote ....etc" or even the smilies come up when I try to post. I even tried putting the [IMG].....[IMG] tags on manually which works on all the other V bulletin boards that I am on. But still no luck
No greenie here, I am the last one to talk Green due to all my gas eating boats and cars. It's just that I think the Prius is a great advancement in fuel savings tecnology. I don't mind spending 5-7 bucks a gallon for my 110-118 octane when ever we take the boat out but for just driving around town it sure is nice saving $750.00 a month in fuel costs from the Prius'.
I laugh when people buy the big SUV's and say I can't go on vacation or I can't go down to the river this weekend because of fuel cost being so high... I say stop wasting so much fuel at home and use the money for vacations....

PaPaG
02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Sorry, but there is no way you can compare a Prius to a CTS-V. The lexus maybe so, but not a Prius.
I actually like the idea of the Lexus if it got better MPG, otherwise its pointless to me.
Not trying to, I had an 300hp STS and I used to get 20-22 on the HWY and had power to spare and there is not comparison. The point I was making is that the Prius is just as good if not better than its direct competition. Corolla's or Camry's or others in that same class.