PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm speed limit???

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Last year at the Absolute Speed and Marine poker run there was a speed limit of 110 if you had back seat passengers. Now I here that if your boat is CAPABLE of 110 or more, you are not allowed to have back seat passengers. If this is the case I will be renting a pontoon for the run. Does anybody have anymore info???

Phat Matt
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I think I remember reading that on their site. Let me check.

Phat Matt
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Here you go.
a) 0-70 mph - all persons 18 years of age and younger be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian while boat is being operated.
b) 70 mph to 110 mph - all persons limited to 18 years of age and older.
c) 110 mph or faster – are not allowed to have back seat passengers.

Racey
02-05-2007, 10:47 AM
This is what happens when Poker Runs turn into unsanctioned offshore racing.

C-2
02-05-2007, 10:52 AM
It's no back seat passengers if you plan on running over 110, not capable.
It's a reasonable rule which allows the poker run to continue, and is being well-received by most everybody. :)

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I am not against a speed limit. I saw that too Matt, I just heard Sunday that if your boat is even capable of 110, even if you don't go 110, you cannot have back seat passengers. That I do not like.

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 10:53 AM
It's no back seat passengers if you plan on running over 110, not capable.
It's a reasonable rule which allows the poker run to continue, and is being well-received by most everybody. :)
Ok, perfect.:D Thanks

CornWater
02-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Dammit.. no back seat passengers for me...
:D

Phat Matt
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Dammit.. no back seat passengers for me...
:D
They just have to ride up front then. :D

moneypit
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Last year at the Absolute Speed and Marine poker run there was a speed limit of 110 if you had back seat passengers. Now I here that if your boat is CAPABLE of 110 or more, you are not allowed to have back seat passengers. If this is the case I will be renting a pontoon for the run. Does anybody have anymore info???
Seems like a smart idea to me.. :idea: :idea:

boatnam2
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
not that it will ever apply to me but i think it is a good rule and way long over do.if you want to go out and run 140mph in your boat on a lake with boat traffic and take a chance although a long shot(but we seen it quite a few times already)and kill youself go ahead but i dont think most people in the back of the boat for sure know the chances there taking.they just think my hubbys rich, his boat is big and its a lake,im just another rich freind that dosen't know any better so on and so on.a couple of deaths in todays insuranced controlled events and foget about it all togther.

AZKC
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Pontoons are kewl:D Where you been hiding Vato?

Havasu1986
02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
How fast does that all girl HTM boat go. They have at least 5-6 in that boat.

BADBLOWN572
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
How fast does that all girl HTM boat go. They have at least 5-6 in that boat.
It is fast. Definitely unsafe for a poker run. Saw those pictures and thought that the driver was crazy. Apparently the LEO's in the chanel did too later on that afternoon. I know they had a "Talk" with the driver. Not sure why. We left about 45min-1 hour later and she still had not returned (or so I saw).

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Pontoons are kewl:D Where you been hiding Vato?
What up Kev! Ive been hiding at work.:D I enjoyed your pics from Apache. The girfriend and I ventured up there just to check out how low it is. Trips to Roosevelt will start in April, I'll keep you informed.

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Seems like a smart idea to me.. :idea: :idea:
I hope people think I am not bashing the speed limit.:( I think that is great. It was just the "capable" that I didn't like. My parents look forward to this event each year and it would be a shame for them not to be able to ride with me just because my boat is capable of a certain speed, even though it is not.;)

boatnam2
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I hope people think I am not bashing the speed limit.:( I think that is great. It was just the "capable" that I didn't like. My parents look forward to this event each year and it would be a shame for them not to be able to ride with me just because my boat is capable of a certain speed, even though it is not.;)
yea that would suck.i dig watching the big boats haul ass and im all for it.hopefully they will get to do the run.

BADBLOWN572
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
They could do staggered starts with unlimited, limited, and slow. ;) :D Require a hand held GPS in each boat with memory recall (same as in nostalgia circle boat racing). You break out of the class speed limit, you are disqualified and you loose any/all poker hands you may have purchased. If the time stamp doesn't reflect back prior to start time, DQ'ed.
I think it is a smart decision to put in a speed limit. The video of Predator on Desert Storm had 4 people in it. They also said that they were doing 160+. I know these boats can be RELATIVELY safe at the speeds they are running, but still shit happens and unfortunately it has recently. Just need to make precautions to minimize safety risks. :)

AZKC
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
What up Kev! Ive been hiding at work.:D I enjoyed your pics from Apache. The girfriend and I ventured up there just to check out how low it is. Trips to Roosevelt will start in April, I'll keep you informed.
Your boat is really going over the top, funny we live in middle of the desert and have some of the baddest boats:D You still at the Mall? Why wait tilll April;) we're thinking about heading up St Patty's Day.

2Driver
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Here you go.
c) 110 mph or faster – are not allowed to have back seat passengers.
Just install more front seats for the run - Done! :D

UnionJack
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I just sign-up today

40FlatDeck
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Your boat is really going over the top, funny we live in middle of the desert and have some of the baddest boats:D You still at the Mall? Why wait tilll April;) we're thinking about heading up St Patty's Day.
Nope, I transferred over to the new Ford store in August. It has been a great move for me. I probably won't get the boat completely done till mid march maybe.. :D

moneypit
02-05-2007, 02:23 PM
It sounds like a decision that all the boats will have to make when they are in the "poker Run" The days before and after will provide plenty of times for going fast. Safety is "key" for these guys and if its not spelled out for some people, well you know the rest... Other words that we will hear ALOT is that it's not a race...
Its always sad to hear news of tragic situations like Nashville Catz, but these tragedy's place a big impact on how other events will be played out. Im not saying that Nashville Catz's accident had anything to do with Desert Storm but. If there is any romote possible way to limit accidents or promote safety they will do it.. Especially when this type of horsepower is involved.

azcat
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It is fast. Definitely unsafe for a poker run. Saw those pictures and thought that the driver was crazy. Apparently the LEO's in the chanel did too later on that afternoon. I know they had a "Talk" with the driver. Not sure why. We left about 45min-1 hour later and she still had not returned (or so I saw).
She actually went to go get some ice cream with her kids

C-2
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
The no backseat passenger rule is part of the “Best Practices” guidelines established by Be Safe, a safety committee created by event organizers to ensure safe events. Jim is a Board Member and helped craft the rule, which strikes a good balance between insurers and participants. Be Safe (http://www.boatingsafe.org/)
As with most of the safety rules for Desert Storm, we’re expecting good compliance and I think everybody agrees it’s a good idea.
As Moneypit points out, it’s a 3-day event and there is plenty of time to go fast outside of the event itself.
:)

playdeep
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Craig...
Just curious since we are on the subject of safety.
Last year there was a house boat anchored on the blind side of pilot rock,right square in the middle of the lake,as well as a Baja with 3-4 guys in it,just sitting waiting for the first wave to blow by..
I thought it was a miracle they managed to keep from getting hit by the first big cats that were spooled up.
Have you guys given any consideration to having a sweeper boat,that could possibly get these brain donors to move,prior to the first wave....
I know you guys take every pre-caution to insure a safe course,but it seems as if more and more spectators are floating right in the path of on coming traffic...
BTW,We spoke to the idiots in the Baja later on,and they said it was they're 3rd year of facing the first wave,they got some awesome pictures and were already planning next year's get together.

Magic34
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
You wont be driving that fast with me in it anyways.

C-2
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Craig...
Just curious since we are on the subject of safety.
Last year there was a house boat anchored on the blind side of pilot rock,right square in the middle of the lake,as well as a Baja with 3-4 guys in it,just sitting waiting for the first wave to blow by..
I thought it was a miracle they managed to keep from getting hit by the first big cats that were spooled up.
Have you guys given any consideration to having a sweeper boat,that could possibly get these brain donors to move,prior to the first wave....
I know you guys take every pre-caution to insure a safe course,but it seems as if more and more spectators are floating right in the path of on coming traffic...
BTW,We spoke to the idiots in the Baja later on,and they said it was they're 3rd year of facing the first wave,they got some awesome pictures and were already planning next year's get together.
Hi Mike:
That’s the first I heard about those boats.
Last year we had a total of 12 safety patrol boats. The majority of these boats had LEO/EMT or CPR qualified personnel and equipment on them. And this year we will be bring on at least 5 more patrol boats. Combined with the staff boats, that places in excess of 20 patrol boats on the lake. But as you point out, sometimes it’s still not enough.
We were only aware of one guy who, despite repeated warnings, chose to anchor in the path of the boats, hoping to get good photos off of Black Meadow landing. He refused to move and eventually only did so after he was rotor-washed by one of the rescue copters (there’s a photo of that someplace on here). He also made some threatening jesters, which wasn’t a good idea since the pilot was also LEO.
Brett Seber/Eliminator and John Baker from Pacific Dive and Rescue were also the lead safety boat on the lake, and coordinated the two copters/safety dive teams.
The lake is open to the public and it’s hard for us to tell anybody to do anything. The Coast Guard has proposed closing the lake down, but the logistics of doing so would be too tuff on their part.
Hopefully this year we will get local LEO cooperation to force knuckleheads like that to move.
Thanks for the heads up on those guys; we’ll keep our eyes open and put an extra patrol boat in the area.
What day you coming out?.....it looks like there's going to be a city-sponsored street party on Thursday.

BADBLOWN572
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
She actually went to go get some ice cream with her kids
Sure! :rolleyes:

Fast Freddy
02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
yeehaw!!! cowabunga dude.......

40FlatDeck
02-06-2007, 06:58 AM
You wont be driving that fast with me in it anyways.
I'll unplug the GPS so it looks like we are going 40.:D Dude, you need to call me. I have been trying to get in touch with you!!!!!!!!!

TheCarDudes
02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I think that even the middle speed bracket is not appropriate. My boat can go over 70mph so that means that I can not have my 13 and 15 year old boys on the boat with me. How does that make any sense? I think that bracket alone will actually have more people be frustrated in not being able to take any passengers under the age of 18.
Am I way off base here? Did I not understand the speed rules correctly? Or does the promotor just not want any people (kids) under the age of 18 to participate in the poker run?

phebus
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
If you go to the Be Safe guidelines that C-2 posted a link to, you will see that they are all guidelines that will lead to safer Poker Runs.
On a boat that will do more than 70mph, they suggest that you do not exceed 70mph if you have occupants under the age of 18.
Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me in the setting of a Poker Run (crowded, rough water, etc.). I know it's been said a million times, but they are not races (and who would it really matter to, unless you want to prove you are the top dog).

C-2
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the accurate info Phebus, that’s why we like ya!
Phebus, LHC30Victory, Kachina26 and Wake Havasu are HB members who stepped up to help us, and as reflected by Phebus’s post – they are all qualified safety personnel. Thanks again guys, we appreciate the help.
TheCarDudes
Thanks for your inquiry; questions like you pose help us make a better event. The organizers are JDNichols (Jim), Lakeracer (Art is still the MC, he’s just too busy to help with the mechanics of the event), myself, Jim’s family and all of our volunteers. We are regular guys, not some big corporate dealio. This is, however, our eighth year of events, so we have learned a thing or two along the way.
Since we started the poker runs in 99’, family participation has always been encouraged. We are family guys too, and my little sweetie was at her first event at 2mos old. :)
Please consider if you have concerns about running in the start, then don’t. There is no requirement to participate in the organized/staged starts. Most people run in the start because it’s exciting, but it’s not required. You can always watch the big boys go by; wait and then collect your cards – every card station is open for several hours.
Everybody, myself included, likes to see the fast guys run. Thanks to Bob Teague, they sort out who’s fastest at the drivers meeting, leaving nothing to prove on the water.
:)

Magic34
02-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I'll unplug the GPS so it looks like we are going 40.:D Dude, you need to call me. I have been trying to get in touch with you!!!!!!!!!
I need 2 seats. We'll bring 2 Rhinos for off the water.

AZKC
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
E you need to turn on your pm's (aka Private Message's)

EmpirE231
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
what if you have an open bow :devil:

C-2
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
what if you have an open bow :devil:
Huh?

TheCarDudes
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
C2
Thanx for the clarification. I look forward to participating in the event right from the start. I am perfectly fine with keeping our speed under 70mph because I would much rather everyone adhere to some simple safety guidelines for everyone's sake than everyone trying to prove who is the man. There are plenty of wide open low traffic days on the lake to show your stuff.
I am also encouraged now to bring our daughter on board who will almost be 3 by the time the run happens. She absolutely loves everything about boating. I'm sure that we will meet some great people of all ages at your event.
See you then
TCD

HavaTan
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a place they can sit Matt...