PDA

View Full Version : Overton News

Racey
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Just got off the phone with a customer of ours, guy who bought our 30' Hallett a few years back, He had a Trailer up in overton, 100' steel garage for indoor storage of the boat and toys, the whole setup. Said he got a letter in the mail Christmas Eve telling him to have all his stuff out by the 31st of march, they are no longer going to rent the properties out there. He's bummed, says he's selling everything. Some of the guys up there are trying to fight it but he says it's a losing battle, they have no desire to negotiate.
What the hell is wrong with these guys, they are going to walk away from all those hundreds of thousands in rent money that might not have been much to the govt, but at least it did more than support the launch ramps, fish cleaners, bathrooms, maintenance etc, that they are still leaving operational at overton. No wonder they're always in the red. And that doesn't even state the point of how poor it is to tell all these people that have thousands and thousands invested in their mobile homes, garages, etc, that they have to get all their shit out or lose it.
I could see if the place was all run down, but it was a nice place, everyone up there kept it clean and dialed in, now its just going to deteriorate and become a slum, and then Uncle Sam will be spending more money to have the trailers removed, Etc Etc, then the tree huggers will come in i'm sure and say it has to be put back to a 'Natural Habitat'.....
Stuff like this just pisses me off, especially when it's happening right here in America.

burtandnancy2
02-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, Racey, you need to read the papers more often to see what is happening to our lake. Overton is nearly high and dry. The previous owner (and former resident of BC) was bought out by the Fed, and he's moved on. According to Channel 3 and the RJ, the marina started moving last Thursday or Friday to Midpoint where it was to be broken down further, then approximately half goes to Temple Bar and the other portion to Callville. The narrows were to be closed during this transition. Of all people, I thought you'd be out there to give them advice and instruction as to how to get it right, instead you left all the work up to Paul Chandler. Maybe by the time you read this, you'll see the marina coming around the corner at the narrows, heading past Beacon Island and approaching Callville

Outnumbered
02-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Just got off the phone with a customer of ours, guy who bought our 30' Hallett a few years back, He had a Trailer up in overton, 100' steel garage for indoor storage of the boat and toys, the whole setup. Said he got a letter in the mail Christmas Eve telling him to have all his stuff out by the 31st of march, they are no longer going to rent the properties out there. He's bummed, says he's selling everything. Some of the guys up there are trying to fight it but he says it's a losing battle, they have no desire to negotiate.
What the hell is wrong with these guys, they are going to walk away from all those hundreds of thousands in rent money that might not have been much to the govt, but at least it did more than support the launch ramps, fish cleaners, bathrooms, maintenance etc, that they are still leaving operational at overton. No wonder they're always in the red. And that doesn't even state the point of how poor it is to tell all these people that have thousands and thousands invested in their mobile homes, garages, etc, that they have to get all their shit out or lose it.
I could see if the place was all run down, but it was a nice place, everyone up there kept it clean and dialed in, now its just going to deteriorate and become a slum, and then Uncle Sam will be spending more money to have the trailers removed, Etc Etc, then the tree huggers will come in i'm sure and say it has to be put back to a 'Natural Habitat'.....
Stuff like this just pisses me off, especially when it's happening right here in America.
It sux but it all has to do with the water dropping. If it was not so far down they would not be closing it. And FYI they actually moved the marina a few days ago so there is no way they are going to change their minds--its too late...
The Overton Beach Marina move, originally scheduled for January 31 and
postponed because of unfavorable weather conditions, is rescheduled to
begin moving this late afternoon early evening [2/2/2007] between 4-6 p.m.
On Saturday, February 3, Roxanne Dey will take interested photographers on
a shuttle boat to get on-the-water shots of the marina moving on Lake Mead.
At 8 .m., Saturday (February 3) interested photographers should participate
in a status conference call by dialing: 1.866.600.8246, and when prompted,
dial participant code: 203.4483 to get the latest accurate information on
the shuttle boat filming opportunity and also directions to meet Roxanne
Dey at the lake. Tentative arrangements have been made to depart from
Echo Bay Marina at 10 a.m., Saturday for on-the-water filming
opportunities. PLEASE NOTE THE TIME AND LOCATION MAY CHANGE BASED ON
WEATHER CONDITIONS, THE TIME THE MARINA LEAVES OVERTON, AND THE SPEED THE
MARINA IS ABLE TO REACH. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO CALL IN BEFORE YOU LEAVE
FOR LAKE MEAD. If you think you might send a photographer, please send an
email to Roxanne_Dey@nps.gov so we can ensure we have the appropriate size
shuttle vessel.
Again, the National Park Service is requesting helicopters not fly over the
marina while it is in the narrows for obvious safety reasons.
Original news release for background information:
(See attached file: 6-07 - Overton Marina to Move - Temporary Closure of
the Narrows on Lake Mead Jan 30.doc)
Roxanne Dey
Public Affairs Officer
Lake Mead Natl Rec Area
601 Nevada Way
Boulder City, NV 89005
702.283.2344 (cell)
702.293.8936 (fax)

Racey
02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Well, Racey, you need to read the papers more often to see what is happening to our lake. Overton is nearly high and dry. The previous owner (and former resident of BC) was bought out by the Fed, and he's moved on. According to Channel 3 and the RJ, the marina started moving last Thursday or Friday to Midpoint where it was to be broken down further, then approximately half goes to Temple Bar and the other portion to Callville. The narrows were to be closed during this transition. Of all people, I thought you'd be out there to give them advice and instruction as to how to get it right, instead you left all the work up to Paul Chandler. Maybe by the time you read this, you'll see the marina coming around the corner at the narrows, heading past Beacon Island and approaching Callville
I knew about the marina moving, the store closing, etc, and could care less about that, it had to happen, the water is dropping not rising, the trailers should have been left alone though, if the owners didnt want to stay, leave it up to them, the fact they are are going to tell the residents up there that they have to leave, when there is no reason to is stupid, they are leaving the launch ramp operational, until it is totally unusable those guys could have kept boating, or just went 10 miles down the road to echo and used their launch ramp once overton's launch ramp was totally dry.

burtandnancy2
02-05-2007, 04:16 PM
OK, I see your arguement, didn't know the launch ramp was still useable...