PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Hangin, something to ponder....

LOWRIVER2
01-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Just thought you'd like to know:
At 0230 hours this Sunday, two of my fellow officers were at the scene of an accident in Harbor Division (San Pedro/Wilmington area). The officers had taken measurments and were waiting for the tow truck to haul the involved vehicle away. The officers were seated in their parked patrol car,
They were rear ended by a drunk driver at 60+ mph. The impact caused the patrol car to flip, the driver officer had to be cut from the car, both officers were not breathing when backup officers arrived.
By the grace of God, and the will of the officers, both will recover but have moderate injuries. The drunk driver was booked for attempt murder of police officers.
I wonder if a few extra officers at the scene would have helped? Or would they have been "wasted taxpayer dollars"? We'll never know.
I guess that's a "work hazard" you "walmart greeters" don't have to worry about.
Have a nice day,
LowRiver

clownpuncher
01-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry to hear that about your brother officers. Praying for a speedy recovery.
ROC

INSman
01-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Am I missing something, what the heck does this have to do with HH ?? :eat:

Moneypitt
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
HH started a rant thread about CHP not rushing to clear accidents fast enough and getting traffic rolling again.......It wasn't pretty in the end........MP

clownpuncher
01-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Am I missing something, what the heck does this have to do with HH ?? :eat:
Reference to a thread a few days back. HH expressed his negative feeliggs about CHiPies on a T/C and how they were wasting time and money, causing traffic slowdowns etc. Couple of others chimed in and then it started to get kinda ugly. I beleive LR is trying to show what can happen on a seemingly harmless call.

DRMCAT
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about the T/C. Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured Officers and their families.

INSman
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Reference to a thread a few days back. HH expressed his negative feeliggs about CHiPies on a T/C and how they were wasting time and money, causing traffic slowdowns etc. Couple of others chimed in and then it started to get kinda ugly. I beleive LR is trying to show what can happen on a seemingly harmless call.
Okay, but that can happen to any officer, at anytime, on any call, at any accident, on any day.. Not to make light of the sitaution as my wife's brother is a Deputy in Ventura County, but there is a certain and known hazard that comes with the job and I am not quite sure that HH's comments were to be taken as hoping or wishing any ill will on any LEO or CHP :confused:

clownpuncher
01-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I am not quite sure that HH's comments were to be taken as hoping or wishing any ill will on any LEO or CHP :confused:
I wasn't implying that at all. I'm sure he doesn't feel that way. I'm just saying there were words ni another thread and LR is merely trying to show what CAN happen at an innocent T/C. I may be wrong about LR's intentions, but, I won't be far off.
ROC

INSman
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I hear ya', but the drunk driver is the demon that needs to be addressed and probably not someone commenting on the driving and traffic frustration that most of us face on a daily basis. Heck, I was pissed that it took me so long to get to the Boat Show on Saturday with all the friggin' traffic !!!
I wish the officers a full recovery and hope the drunk ass driver bastard get MAJOR jail time :mad:

LOWRIVER2
01-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Clownpuncher has it on target (Hose guys are smarter than gunslinigers)
Goes to show you never know how many extra officers are enough at any scene where traffic is involved, something for civilians to ponder on the other side of why more personnel may be needed at a scene.

BRSTQUEST
01-29-2006, 10:22 PM
lowriver....smith says there is nothing more dangerous than pushing crates down a hallway.......fyi his new nickname at work is "bucket handle"....if he hasn't told you ask him about it

moneypit
01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
LowRiver-
Was traffic control an issue with your friends scene? I have come across alot of intersection collisions and there are usually a good amount of traffic contolling officers. There are also a few engines, flares and alot of debrit. Was your friends patrol car in traffic.
Sorry to hear about what happened. I would think that some officers might also get careless. I have seen news of drunk drivers going through house fronts killing people sleeping inside, so there is never a safe place.
As for HH's comments. I didnt read them. I would think that CHP doesnt wat to hang around the highways watching idiots speeders fly by.

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2006, 05:01 AM
Yes, we all have dangerous jobs. As a Wal Mart greeter, I have been run over by elderly women in shopping carts more than a few times.
I can keep naming instances all day long about Wal Mart greeters and the issues we encounter. However, I do not come on here and complain about it, as I know it is part of the job I signed up for.
I also do not blindly defend other Wal Mart greeters. Although I myself am perfect, I am realistic enough to know that not all Wal Mart greeters are perfect. I do feel a sense of brotherhood with other Wal Mart greeters (since we understand each other so well), but that's where it stops. For me to defend the actions of other Wal Mart greeters (without actually being there) is just plain childish. People make mistakes.
As for the CHP, I cannot comment on the instance you gave, since I wasn't there. I can only comment on the scene I saw.
Of the 10 cars that were at the scene, only one was in lanes. If those guys were really worried about getting hit, then I would park the other nine cars in between me and traffic....but that's just me.
I am sorry about the guys that got hit. Once again, since I wasn't there, I am in no position to comment on it (try it sometime).