PDA

View Full Version : HIlborn Injection?

Lumpy
07-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey Guys,
Does anyone have any experience with Hilborn Injection? I have a 69 miller flattie I would love to have 8 stacks sticking up. I found a set up with everything including pump for $750. I remember a guy in a flat with injection used to come to the lake all the time and it seems every time I saw him he was getting towed in. How much better, if any, are the performance gains over a single carb setup? I have only had my boat about 3 months. It has a 427 with a 750 double pumper. I have not had any problems with it. I just want to be injected! I am not really interested in performance gains yet, but reliability is a must. Any help is appreciated........Lumpy

Sangster 79
07-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Then stay with the 750 DP. A Hilborn Stack Injection is a great setup if you know how to set one up properly..Is it an Alcohol or Gas Injection setup??For the price it's most likley a mechanical. They run great wide open.The electronic models run alittle better on the lower end but are a lot more expence.....

Dans66Stevens
07-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Skeeter Todd has a Hilborn set-up in a 20ft Cole. I think its a 427. I never heard it run but it look really cool....

boatguy222
07-02-2002, 06:55 PM
I'am running stack Injection,on Gas in my Bezer. If it's a complete systen thats not a bad deal, You will need to have it flowed for your engine, correct fuel flow is the only way to go if it's your first time with injection, I would get some sort of primer for starting, I works much better than the spray bottle, Set up correctly It runs great, you will have to take a little extra care with keeping the gas clean over a carb.
good luck.

Lumpy
07-02-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
Here is a link to the pic. It is a Hy-Flo brand and it is set up for gas.
http://www.dragboats.com/classified/ads.asp?type=10
[This message has been edited by Lumpy (edited July 02, 2002).]

infotraker
07-03-2002, 11:07 AM
I installed a hilborn system on my 68 Schiad flat about 20 years ago. it really looked great and had a lot of power (454 chrysler 440 bored). I pumped gas into the pressurized moon tank from the side tanks. I installed small fuel drip lines to each stack to prime the system for starting (powered by small electric fuel pump). You had to get just enough fuel in to start, it flooded a lot. No one else could get it started. I changed to a tunnel after 2 seasons. Runs great ever since, boat is used for skiing.

PGF545
07-03-2002, 12:50 PM
We ran injectors for several years and never had problems.....well not a lot of problems...lol. If you can get the fuel level higher that the pump then you don't need to prime them to get it started...we ran a Moon T-Tank and had it mounted behind the motor. I think that if you are looking for something easy to mess with then stay with the Carb...if you don't mind spending a little time messing with them then the injectors are a lot of fun. Ours always left really hard, even with the rolling start that we used to do years ago.
Bernie

Stab-n-Steer
07-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Lumpy,
There's nothing more bitch'in looking than a set of injectors! As the others have said they are designed to run wide open. They are drivable with some attention but don't think you'll pull skiers and run 20 minutes in the 5 MPH zone! There are several outfits that convert the old Hilborns, Crowers, etc, to electronic but it's expensive as hell. The units are very drivable however. Several of my friends into street rods have converted them and they run great.
Now that I'm done with the sales pitch, I have a really nice set of Hilborn's with pump for a square port big block, set up for gas, I'll let go for $500...
S&S

superdave013
07-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
Lumpy,
Now that I'm done with the sales pitch, I have a really nice set of Hilborn's with pump for a square port big block, set up for gas, I'll let go for $500...
S&S
Deal of a lifetime. You would still want to at least have the pump flowed but that's still a steal. Why so cheep?
Oh, I ran an Enderle birdcatcher on my blown river flat. Fuel level in the tank was higher than the pump but still had to prime it. Maybe because the barrel valve was so high. A little fuel pump & check valve did the trick when for lake use.
I drove that boat all over but did need to change plugs allot.
Another hassle that no one brought up was you need to keep the fuel pump lubed when not in use. I would disconnect the fuel line on the discharge side of the pump and put in a lil Marvelous and roll the engine over backwards a tad to get it in there.
The injectors were more hassle but the throttle response was unreal. Another plus was non of my buddies could ever get it to start. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

boatguy222
07-03-2002, 05:15 PM
S&S
Dave's right that is a great price, If you don't get any takers, let me know I might be interested, in buying or trading, need any parts?
Marc

Infomaniac
07-03-2002, 07:39 PM
Injection systems are hard starting and idle fast. Also the pump will not pull fuel. They must be gravity fed. "T" tank usually.
Other than that, they are great!!
That was cut and paste from my reply in the Gear Head Section

future boater
07-04-2002, 01:52 AM
"i'd rather be blown then injected.." now its my understanding that with alcohol and nitro when you get off and on with the throttle, the injection leans it out. is this true in the case of gas as well?

BadBoyzSkiRacer
07-04-2002, 06:15 AM
g'day guys... i am interested in taking the injection off your hands. this setup is what i have been looking for here in Australia to put on my ski race boat. a fattie 478 cubic incher

Fiat48
07-04-2002, 07:09 AM
A large flapper type check valve (Detroit Diesel's use them) installed in the fuel line will help keep the fuel pump wet and allow the use of side tanks instead of a T tank. Another checkvalve can be installed near the barrel valve to help keep the system wet also. We did this years ago with Crower injection and we had to squirt it to start in the morning, but we could "turn key" start the rest of the day after that. The right jet and nozzle and part throttle performance is great. Only for those who like to fiddle with getting it right. But you will love the throttle response.

Stab-n-Steer
07-04-2002, 07:44 AM
SuperDave,
I know it's a great deal but I got an even better deal at a swap meet. I never try to make a killing when I sell stuff especially to boat guys. I go to these car swap meets and everyone tries to bend you over selling mostly crap. That's not me. I'd rather see these babies on top of a v-drive than setting in my gagage. Although they do look cool as hell on my work bench!
You are correct, the pump will need to be rebuilt and flowed but that's a normal deal when you set up injectors...
S&S