PDA

View Full Version : ballancer

FOURQ
02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
on another stupid question whats the difference of running a 7" or 8" dampener ??? mill is a 496 internally balanced

WannabeRacing
02-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Basically, the longer the throw, the better it is to have more diameter in your balancer.
For racing, (especially drag racing) adding more diameter is adding weight to the external extremeties in reciprocating weight. And you really want to stay away from that from a performance standpoint. But anything less than all out racing it is nice to get the larger dampening qualities. You are getting into the long run idea, and long term parts wear.
Either will work, it is just preference.

TIMINATOR
02-07-2007, 11:55 PM
A larger balancer will dissipate the heat better in a marine application. I assume that if it was a dragstrip question it would be posted elsewhere. A drag car will accelerate the entire rotating and reciprocating assy. in every gear, a boat does it slower and once to top speed. Drag car wants lighter for faster, boat needs longetivity. Go with the big one for a boat, its also a bit cheaper as the bigger one was used in more applications. TIMINATOR

Nucking futs
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Who makes a good balancer. I have heard good things about the summit brand. I hear not to run the rattlers too. Any input?

Squeezing Spectra
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Ati

superdave013
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
on another stupid question whats the difference of running a 7" or 8" dampener ??? mill is a 496 internally balanced
the difference is 1". lol sorry, I just had to. :D