PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Baker Tunnel Hulls

minnesota_duane
02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I just bought a Baker Tunnel off of ebay and would like information, and pictures of some others.
Want to know what I can expect out of it as far as handling, ride, performance, etc. So if you have any first hand info please let me know.
Thanks
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Minnesota_Duane/964dfb533b040yciv9xe-1.png
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Minnesota_Duane/boat6.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
That is a RARE hull. I know a guy out here with the 21ft tunnel. A very heavy hull but rides like a caddy;)

Squirtcha?
02-06-2007, 04:50 AM
The only Baker tunnel I've seen looked more like an Eliminator Daytona or similar.
This one's different.
Man! what's that boat resting on? The roller? Looks like the bunks aren't even holding the tunnels.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Minnesota_Duane/boat6.jpg

minnesota_duane
02-06-2007, 05:47 AM
It was resting on two blocks of wood on each back corner and the bunks held it from about half way and forward, I had my boss's brother tow it back for me from AZ and thank god it didnt hurt anything.

minnesota_duane
02-06-2007, 05:54 AM
That is a RARE hull. I know a guy out here with the 21ft tunnel. A very heavy hull but rides like a caddy;)
This one measures 18.5'

mnjettr
02-06-2007, 06:49 AM
nice boat duane, got any more pics?? were the heck is climax?? I'm from alexandria.

minnesota_duane
02-06-2007, 06:56 AM
nice boat duane, got any more pics?? were the heck is climax?? I'm from alexandria.
Thanks
I'm sure these people will get a kick out of this, Climax is north of Moorhead 50 miles.
The only other pics are of the ratted out interior that I already stripped out of the boat.

old rigger
02-06-2007, 07:16 AM
... Climax is north of Moorhead...
now that's funny. lol

Wicked Performance Boats
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
PM Dragboats he had the same Baker tunnel. He bought it from my buddy. Budlight

disco_charger
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Waterndog's Dad has one with a small block Chevy and a berk, and it runs really well. It's pretty quick for a small block, and I thought he might get me when we lined up. The only thing that bummed me out about it was there's not a lot of interior room. I know that Pops (WD's Dad) likes his.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12941DSC00857.JPG

minnesota_duane
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
now that's funny. lol
Old Rigger your gonna love this Climax is 50 miles north of Moorhead, 24 miles west of Fertile, MN, and 15 miles north east of Cummings, ND, and 25 miles south west of Gently,MN.

minnesota_duane
02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
ttt

minnesota_duane
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Still looking for other Baker tunnel owners and or pictures.

watergun4u
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
well for what its worth, i have been in a few baker tunnel's
One was a outboard, with a johnson V8 STOCK, 26 pitch clever prop, took it to the lake to test it for a customer, that boat ran out on the gps @ 110, with more pedal left, and the handling of that boat at that speed was great, the water that day was kinda choppey, but the boat took it like butter!
The other time i was in a baker was at beuna vista lake, iwas there with my boat, with was no sloch!it ran 83mph all day long, well later in the day, i was out on the lake eggin people on to race, and along came this baker tunnelit was running a 454 jet, worked over alittle, and motor was built about like mine, we started from a dead stop, well slow roll, and hit it, we planed almost together, and then as that boat set down, it just set and took off he got me in the 1/8 mile by about two boats,so we talked and decieded to do it again, once we both planed out, and even we hit it again, stayed even for about three boat lengths and that boat walked away from me, took a great set and was gone, stoped back and talk to the owner again, about his motor and set up, and we both agreed that the set up where very close as far as hp, pump work etc, but the style of the boat i could not belive that it could make that big of difference, so he took me for a ride, and let me drive, WoW was i amazed in how that boat handled, and the way it lifted the nose, that was a very sweet ride, So as far as my input on bakers, they are a great hull!!!!!!!:D

minnesota_duane
02-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the input watergun4u, are the outboards the same hull with a diffrent transom?

minnesota_duane
02-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Still lookin'

old rigger
02-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Old Rigger your gonna love this Climax is 50 miles north of Moorhead, 24 miles west of Fertile, MN, and 15 miles north east of Cummings, ND, and 25 miles south west of Gently,MN.
lol

Squirtcha?
02-14-2007, 02:12 PM
In this picture it looks like it's taking a pretty good set.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4392&d=1090523903

pw_Tony
02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
My buddy has an 18' Baker tunnel hull. It has a 200 yamaha outboard though. It runs 70-75 MPH all day long. But in his at top speed it starts to bob somewhat and wobble a little from the back. I'm sure it's completely different for a jet though.

minnesota_duane
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
look no further, had one with a 850hp.
It's a lead sled and rode kinda funky in chop.
Tried several intakes and it got better,
once I got it to stick it ran real hard then started to lift the tail.
Adjusted the plates till it stuck, then it slowed down...
It was one of the most unique looking hulls that looked fast as hell, but was not safe at speeds over 90 IMO...
As you can see in the one pic it set nice in the mid 80's after that it got weird..
But still ran good compared to some.
keep in mind I am not a set up expert and that may have been the boats down fall.
All in all I liked my Baker tho.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/203588bakerfrnt1_mtr.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/baker88ba.jpg
Could you give me some details of the setup that you liked to get me started in the right direction.
Did you have the pump set back? Bottom blueprinted?
Thanks for the pictures!

Wicked Performance Boats
02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Dennis its Rod do u still own that boat. and if the guy wants to talk to me just pm budlite for the phone #

minnesota_duane
02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks again Dragboats, I sent a pm to the only bud light I could find in the users list.
Any and all info is good thing! Thanks to all!

Wicked Performance Boats
02-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks again Dragboats, I sent a pm to the only bud light I could find in the users list.
Any and all info is good thing! Thanks to all!
MD, That's me. Budlight====== Wicked Performance

bp
02-17-2007, 08:32 AM
look no further, had one with a 850hp.
It's a lead sled and rode kinda funky in chop.
Tried several intakes and it got better,
once I got it to stick it ran real hard then started to lift the tail.
Adjusted the plates till it stuck, then it slowed down...
It was one of the most unique looking hulls that looked fast as hell, but was not safe at speeds over 90 IMO...
As you can see in the one pic it set nice in the mid 80's after that it got weird..
But still ran good compared to some.
keep in mind I am not a set up expert and that may have been the boats down fall.
All in all I liked my Baker tho.
with the outter sponsons that far forward of the thrust point, combined with the lower thrust centerline and increased attitude, as speed continues to increase,the keel continues to rise and will eventually get to a point (speed) where it's riding on the center sponson without both outter sponsons touching. the higher the attitude, the more adverse the condition will become. very similar to what's experienced with a southwind, except the cause is different. it's not necessarily unsafe, but is uncomfortable. there are things that can be done to dampen it.
where was this pic taken? looks familiar...

bp
02-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I am pretty sure it was Camp Far West, but could be Shasta. So many lakes up here I forget:D One thing we dont have, or at least that I know is the expertise found in SoCal. I was on my own up here with my set. I am sure we have some folks in the know, (and it's a Baker not many around)I just dont know any. I tried a few things and the third or fourth time it lifted the tail and wagged like a dog it made me pucker:D Not to mention my buddies face sitting next to me one time:eek:. I pulled the motor, put in a mild 502 in and sold it to my friend. It's a great boat for him, runs about 70 and feels solid.
i know exactly what you're talking about, and understand the frustration. i jetted around trinity lake for 20 years, and no one i talked to in norcal (way nor) knew enough to tell me anything. my objective in hookin' up with the right people and crewing for 3 years was the education (as well as making lifelong friends). we never stop learning.
i also know the feeling you're talking about, been there many times. takes a little getting used to, but after awhile a person tends to look forward to the feeling. my frustration was that it scrubbed speed and et, and i proved that to myself several times, so i did some things to minimize/eliminate it. now, i watch rubber ducky, who is lighter with a bigger engine, do the same thing time after time and run a half second slower than me. i tried to tell him....:rolleyes:
anyway, nice lookin' deal and i'm sure it runs real nice at 80. will we ever see the bgj on a track??

minnesota_duane
02-17-2007, 06:33 PM
You think you had it bad for lack of help, try being 100 miles south of Canada! Every ones idea of a boat around here is Lund with a live well. That's fine for them but I don't fish. To give you an idea of what it's like around here I get tons of complements on my Hawaiian and it aint all that pretty. Around here if it isn't a fishing boat it's a Bayliner or a pontoon. I am just glad for all the great web sites and the people on them that are willing to share there knowledge. My hopes for this thing is to touch 100 mph, that way mine will be as fast as the rest of the 100 mph boats:D . I don't know if it is possible but that was my goal when I bought this thing. I also don't care to die trying to get there. I don't plan on having this done anytime soon and am really in no rush. I just want it working right, safe and giving me 100% the first time it goes to the lake. Eventually plans are for a blown BBF 545 if for nothing else the look. I always wanted something with a blower on it. But first things first the hull then a performance pump then the engine.