PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

cyclone
01-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Who's got it?
What company?
How much?
Do you have over the transom headers?
Did the company require photos of your boat?
Were there any horsepower limitations?
Do you have a lay up for part of the year?
I'm looking for a new company. thanks for the help.
-mike

dmontzsta
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Call Terheggen & Malone @ 562-496-2444
That seems to be one of the few that still insure. I have heard it is hard to get insurance for a blown boat.

clownpuncher
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
I've got it
Allstate
About 600 a year
No OTT headers on current boat, BUT, I did have OTT on the old boat with allstate
No photos
THey just asked me my HP. I told them the truth, 650 HP
No lay up at all
Good luck
ROC

Big Proppa
01-30-2006, 06:46 AM
State Farm covers the spectra 20 for 35'gs
I think it's 40 bucks a month.

1978 Rogers
01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
American Underwriters (referred to by State Farms) SF wouldn't touch my boat.
$300 something for 6 months (only have it insured for warmer half of the year)
Log exhaust
Told them 350 horse power
They did take a photo.

Cole1313
01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Who's got it?
What company?
How much?
-mike
Progressive
$248/year
Yes on the OT
No on pics!
Yes
I had heard that they were no longer doing policies on these types of boats, but it is worth a shot.

diggler
01-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Who's got it?
What company?
How much?
-mike
Cornerstone Insurance Agency (underwritten by Terheggon (spelling))
$1580 per year, but will drop now since I finished 1st year with no claims.
OT headers - yes
Pictures - yes
HP limits - none that I know of, I sent dyno sheets showing 802hp
No lay up
Replacement value coverage
Coverage effective only if I'm driving and no one else.
mike, I have the same Ultra Shadow 19' you have and they were able to do coverage for me. Granted, it took about 20 calls to different agencies.

572Daytona
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Who's got it?
What company?
How much?
-mike
USAA
$427/yr
OT's
No photo's but I did need to document what extras it had in order to insure it for more than the blue book value.
Yes, there were HP limitations. I had to get an underwriting exception and they spoke to my engine builder who said that the motor I had in a jet was similar to a 415hp if it were a mercruiser sterndrive (which is probably pretty accurate)
No lay up.

Schiada Time
01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Mike- What happened? Is State Farm not working out? I wonder if I am still covered.
Trav

Nubbs
01-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Clarke Garvey Marine Insurance (I think that's the name)
approx $340 per year
No layup
covered engine
not sure about hp limit

1978 Rogers
01-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Mike- What happened? Is State Farm not working out? I wonder if I am still covered.
Trav
We have State Farms for our Auto, House & life ins. I was told SF doesn't insure any open engine boats or HP boats.

Jordy
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Progressive
$248/year
Yes on the OT
No on pics!
Yes
I had heard that they were no longer doing policies on these types of boats, but it is worth a shot.
I tried to insure my Schiada through Progressive when I had it and got a check back about 3 weeks into it because of an open engine compartment, even though they never saw the boat, never asked what it had, just cancelled me. It did have an open engine compartment but water jacketed exhaust and TT tips. Oh well, their loss.

Brooski
01-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Who's got it?
What company?
How much?
-mike
AAA
$120 per year
Liability and Property Damage only
OTs
Photos yes
Unknown, mine is listed as having 370 hp
No layup
I have everything insured thru them. I believe you have to already be insured thru them, and the river cannot be the primary place you take the boat.

roostwear
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
AAA. Don't remember the total, but less than $300/yr. I don't have OTs so I don't know.... photo required. River is OK, except for Parker. They made a point of asking about Parker.
Looks like I'll be getting my money's worth out of AAA now.... :cry:

TRG
01-30-2006, 06:29 PM
AAA is on da real!... we are giving 345 a year with a bone stock 330hp BBC
i brought my boat to the diamond bar branch and did not even have the OT headers on and they did not even ask me about them, ive got a set of old logs for you to bolt on mike, just screw them in and tell them you are in the middle of hoggin some holes in that nice hull!
Todd

moneysucker
01-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Mike, do all the home work and then give me the info so I can get insured. When you get it see if you get some kind of deal for refferals.
I tried Progressive, I had them tricked into it but decided that if anything did happen where I needed to make a claim they would just tell me that the boat I am claiming to have dammaged is not the one they insured.
USAA told me "Fat chance on insurance on my boat" then they added "One more accident on my auto insurance and They are dropping me." That was 2 accidents ago.

sleekcrafter
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
I have progressive ins. MidCentury/Farmers ins would not carry me, they farmed it to progressive for me. No pic required, agreed value, ooh and I can't race it, they know it's a drag boat :mad:
Sleek

flat broke
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I see a little inuendo on here about folks "fudging" things a bit to get a policy. If you're doing this, you might as well keep the annual premium and invest it. Because if you are provided insurance based upon erroneous or fraudulent information, there is a VERY high likelyhood your insurance company will not only drop you, but will also deny your claim. The whole idea behind insurance, is that you're paying a little to make sure someone can cover your ass if something bad happens. No sense bothering to pay if you've lied on your app, or misrepresented yourself and ultimately any claim you file is denied.
Just my .02
Chris

cyclone
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
thanks for the info guys. No i want to be fully insured with no bs on my part that way if something does go wrong and i need to make a claim, I don't have to lie about what parts are really my engine and whatnot. :)

sleekcrafter
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I see a little inuendo on here about folks "fudging" things a bit to get a policy. If you're doing this, you might as well keep the annual premium and invest it. Because if you are provided insurance based upon erroneous or fraudulent information, there is a VERY high likelyhood your insurance company will not only drop you, but will also deny your claim. The whole idea behind insurance, is that you're paying a little to make sure someone can cover your ass if something bad happens. No sense bothering to pay if you've lied on your app, or misrepresented yourself and ultimately any claim you file is denied.
Just my .02
Chris
No lie on my part, they know exacty what my boat is, and that it was built as a drag boat. I'm not covered at all if the boat is raced. My main goal was theft, and if something happen on the road.
Sleek