PDA

View Full Version : Swim Steps on V-drives Suck!

Schiada Time
02-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I recently finished restoring for this year anyway my '22 Schiada V-drive and when we went to look at the boat my soon-to-be-wife said "oh look there is a plate on the back to step on to get in". I breathed a sigh of relief as V-drives look so much better from the back with just cavitation plates and turnbuckles and no swim step cluttering up the outside of the transom. Well after putting every dime I have into restoring my boat it looks like the misses wants to mess up my perfectly clean transom with bitchin polished gear with a stupid ass swim step. Has anyone else been faced with this headache? If I have to put a frikkin swim step on my boat who can do a clean one that wont take away too much from the looks?If I wanted swim steps I would have bought an I/O with a small-block. its a V-drive with a big-block and thru-transoms so hopefully I dont have to sacrifice my nuts and install a swim step.

dmontzsta
02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Just tell her the nice shiny cav plates are swim steps, done deal.
I have used the cav plate to get in and out of V-Drives for a long time, never had one break or weaken.

gn7
02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I have used the cav plate to get in and out of V-Drives for a long time, never had one break or weaken.
engrave 'STEP HERE' on them

Schiada Time
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately she is smarter than that. My parents '22 I/O with swim steps and my sisters friends wakeboard boat with a platform havent exactly helped my cause. I really do not want to drill any more holes in my transom. Maybe I'll just put my foot down.

dumbandyoung
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Depends how big the chick is.. hahaha.

dmontzsta
02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Depends how big the chick is.. hahaha.
That is true! :D

Racey
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
A customer of our's wife INSISTED the boat had a swimstep put on it(also a 22 schiada), found out it was harder to get into the boat with the swimstep than just stepping on the cav plate and we took it off.
the only way swimsteps work on a v-drive is if you use 2 small steps on either side, but it looks gay, and on a 22' it's pretty easy to just step on the plate and into the back.

Moneypitt
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately she is smarter than that. My parents '22 I/O with swim steps and my sisters friends wakeboard boat with a platform havent exactly helped my cause. I really do not want to drill any more holes in my transom. Maybe I'll just put my foot down.
At least you won't have to worry about stepping on your sack!!!:sqeyes: MP

Tahiti350
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Play the safety card!!!
"But dear, I don't want to risk you getting burned on the headers or falling on the engine.."
Then offer to buy the temporary ones that go over the side and fold for storage..... that way it only looks bad for a couple of minutes, and no holes required!!!

Schiada Time
02-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm liking these suggestions. No swim steps. I especially like the one where another '22 Schiada V-drive owner installed swim steps and they were harder to use so they were taken back off. Yes!!!

HM
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The nicest looking swim step I saw was on a Hallet Vector. It was one large swim step that had custom cav bar pillow blocks integrated into the swim step brackets...was VERY trick. I don't know how useful it was as I only saw it on the trailer.
Many times it is easier stepping on the cav plate because you don't have to pull your self out of the water to get your foot on the cav plate....and then you just step up. Even if the swim step is right at water level, you have to pull yourself up on it. A retractable ladder would help there, but then looks like shiat!

MKEELINE
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Travis,
I'm going through the same thing right now. The wife and kids want a swim step, whereas I could do without. So I'm looking to make one that is removable, this way everyone will be happy :rolleyes:. I haven't decided if I'm going to use teak or King Starboard material.

Highlimit9000
02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Travis,
I'm going through the same thing right now. The wife and kids want a swim step, whereas I could do without. So I'm looking to make one that is removable, this way everyone will be happy :rolleyes:. I haven't decided if I'm going to use teak or King Starboard material.
To fix my problem on my 22 Schiada, I got rid of the wife! The kids are light enough to just pick up and put in. :D

Obsessive Compulsive
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
To fix my problem on my 22 Schiada, I got rid of the wife! The kids are light enough to just pick up and put in. :D
That sounds like a good solution. No more complaining. How is your project comming along?

MKEELINE
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
That's one way to do it. Although getting rid of the wife would be alot more expensive than the swim step will be.

Schiada Time
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Project is coming along good. Just need to get a fresh prop on her, install the 850 Marine DP carb and button up a small list of little details and I will take her back to Elsinore for another run.
Travis

Nostalgic Spectra
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know about you , but I think mine look "TITS". Granted I use the cav plate more to get in the boat. I use them more to sit on when we are hangin' out tossing some back. To each his own I guess.

spectras only
02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I liked the swimstep on my 24 , since it didn't needed any blingy cav plates to get go and stay level :idea: :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24spectra4.jpg

Schiada Time
02-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Nostalgic Spectra- That swim step set-up with the mount fixed to the cav bar could not have been cheap.

Day-Go
02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I have the same issue. Wife wants a swim step. Mainly for the kids. If I can hold off long enough the kids will be grown and it wont matter. On a VDrive the plate is the step. Its always been that way. Besides if you give in to the swim step the next thing will be the bling bling tower !!!!
Nostalgic Spectras plates are one off! made by a custom cooter . But thats the way to do it. Dimarco 21 if Im correct also had a nice split step black anodized thats how I would go. Set them right in the water so you dont see them parked. Ill be doing some research also. If you figure anything out let me know.

VD CRUISER
02-08-2007, 05:36 AM
The answer is , no swim steps on a v-drive, use tha cav plates like we have for 25 years or so. If you give in to the swim steps, who knows what will be next.:confused:

Nostalgic Spectra
02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Nostalgic Spectra- That swim step set-up with the mount fixed to the cav bar could not have been cheap.
They weren't cheap, but luckily they came with the boat when I picked it up. But they were custom fabed. All aluminum brackets and steps really look nice, but not too much. Like I said they are used more for sitting on drinking beer then anything else.

Schiada Time
02-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Set them right in the water so you dont see them parked.
Unfortunately where we are at VD Cruiser the water is a lot more clear so I will unfortunately see them when I am parked.
ST

MKEELINE
02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I guess it's a function over fashion deal. Oh well, the wife and kids get the swim step and I get the turbos.Win-Win;)

Schiada Time
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
MKeeline- i like the way you negotiate! She is just a carbureted 502 for now. I think in the future when finances prevail I will build a flat for playing.

Hustler
02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Trav. here's the one Dave Sammons built for Brent. Awsome peice
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs4.jpg

MKEELINE
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Trav. here's the one Dave Sammons built for Brent. Awsome peice
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187trs4.jpg
He does some nice stuff for sure.
The step I'll be putting together will be either removable or fold up so the boat will fit in the garage.

Schiada Time
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
The other problem is I am almost out of money!!! Still need to buy the right prop and put a head unit in.
Trav

dmontzsta
02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
The other problem is I am almost out of money!!! Still need to buy the right prop and put a head unit in.
Trav
Arent we all out of money? :D

Schiada Time
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
dmonzta- Over 14,000 posts do you ever work? By the way you are local right? We gotta hang out more. How's the Bezer shapen up. I may be out of money but I am not out of credit.
Travis

dmontzsta
02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
dmonzta- Over 14,000 posts do you ever work? By the way you are local right? We gotta hang out more. How's the Bezer shapen up. I may be out of money but I am not out of credit.
Travis
Either I dont work, or I have this site on my desktop, I prune through SPAM, V-Drives, Just Jets, Gear Heads and the Sandbar within 2 minutes, click on whatever is interesting, comment, then sign off. :D Oh yeah, I type VERY fast, faster than I think actually. :D
B boat is good, just waiting...money is not an issue yet (but will be once the motor is finished), but I hear ya...credit is good, as long as it is not sitting there long.

flat broke
02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Trav,
Have Marcel mask and Rhino some tasteful traction on the top of the plate towards the outside so its an easy step to the deck. Then go out with Chessmore in his Spectra with swimsteps and take your boat at the same time. Once she realizes how much easier it is to step on the plate, compared to pull herself up on the swimsteps, you won't have to san another word.
You bought the boat before you got married, it's YOUR deal, so do it how YOU want to. And this is comming from a guy who doesn't argue about much with his wife.
BTW, boat show on Friday(tomorrow). I'll call you in the AM with details.
Chris

Schiada Time
02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Let me know on the boat show. I have a meeting at 1:30 that will most likely last the rest of the day. I'll probably jam home after work, change clothes and I can meet you guys at Ty's house or wherever. Just leave me a voicemail on my cell.
Trav

Maxey
02-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I recently finished restoring for this year anyway my '22 Schiada V-drive and when we went to look at the boat my soon-to-be-wife said "oh look there is a plate on the back to step on to get in". I breathed a sigh of relief as V-drives look so much better from the back with just cavitation plates and turnbuckles and no swim step cluttering up the outside of the transom. Well after putting every dime I have into restoring my boat it looks like the misses wants to mess up my perfectly clean transom with bitchin polished gear with a stupid ass swim step. Has anyone else been faced with this headache? If I have to put a frikkin swim step on my boat who can do a clean one that wont take away too much from the looks?If I wanted swim steps I would have bought an I/O with a small-block. its a V-drive with a big-block and thru-transoms so hopefully I dont have to sacrifice my nuts and install a swim step.
I feel for you. What I did, was to fashion a flexible step out of an old ski rope handlethat I would drop over the side whenever the wife wanted to get in or out of the boat while parked in the water. I covered the rope with a rubber sleeve and vinyl to protect the side of the boat. It was attached to a nice bracket on the bell housing. When not in use, just stash it under the deck. it worked for us.
Take care