PDA

View Full Version : Can jet boats handle NOS setup

boatgonewild
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
My brother in LAW WANTS TO KNOW if 454 jet boat can handle 125 hr of NOS

YeLLowBoaT
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
If every thing is in good shape it should not be a prob.

lilrick
02-06-2007, 06:50 PM
sounds like trouble to me......

Oldsquirt
02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
The real question is whether or not your engine can handle it. The pump, as long as it is in decent shape, shouldn't have a problem.

boatgonewild
02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
THey told me if my motor was in a car no problem, just some fine tuning to get it right.... motor is real strong. One more thing should you have change to bigger carb

IMPATIENT 1
02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
no bigger carb is needed but have a bigger fuel supply system is!nice avatar, bet you don't have it long:D

SmokinLowriderSS
02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Should not be a problem. Ran 75HP N2O for 25 years. IMO the 125 dose is getting on the risky side for the stock cast pistons (they say 150 is the cast piston limit). The motor has plenty of beef to take it otherwise, and more.
No, no need to change the carb, unless it's like a 450CFM'er or something. 700, 750CFM, ballpark, just fine. leave it alone.
Yes, read the following very closely:
MAKE SURE THAT YOU WILL NOT LOOSE FUEL SUPLY WHILE RUNNING NITROUS!
A pressure switch in the fuel line is a good idea, to cut the N2O system off in case of fuel flow shortfall.
Lose nitrous flow, no prob, motor runs rich, bogs, no harm, no foul.
Lose FUEL FLOW, BIG PROBLEM, motor goes lean, cylinders go HOT, mixtures detonate, holes get melted in pistons, all before you can lift your foot.
FILTER EVERYTHING, both suplies, and change them once in a while.
Nitrous is not bad, if treated properly. If mistreated or short-cut, it will bite you.

squirt'nmyload
02-06-2007, 08:04 PM
pm hotrod sprint.......he's got more than that and his motor is about as healthy as yours

QuickJet
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
What size carb are you running? I wouldn't run anything smaller than an 850 on a 450 hp big block.
Carb size requirements have alot to do with your V.E. Once you add the bottle your V.E. goes up.

boatgonewild
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Im running edel 800 now, but looking for new carb right now, have been looking at 850 demon.. what do you think

QuickJet
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Im running edel 800 now, but looking for new carb right now, have been looking at 850 demon.. what do you think
I agree, dump the Edelbrock. I've never been into the Demon carbs but that's not to say they are bad. I've allways liked the Holly HP series. If yah can't find one of those go with the standard 850 dp and tune it to your needs. If you are running the bottle I'd richen it up a tad to be safe and use a timing controller that activates when the solenoids do.

RCB19
02-06-2007, 10:30 PM
THey told me if my motor was in a car no problem, just some fine tuning to get it right.... motor is real strong.
I would double check the clearences on this motor before you stuff it in between the stringers of a boat and run it. Especially important if your thinking about putting the squeeze to it.

Duane HTP
02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
I'd stay away from the Demon. All of them that I've ever ran on the dyno had mixture problems between cylinders any where but WOT. A Holley 0-9381 or a Holley 0-8380 would be a very good choice for your application. If you insist on a Demon, give me a call, I've got a tub full of them that we've taken off. 316-794-8616

jetboatperformance
02-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Amen on the Demons Duane!! The real early ones maybe but we quit them about 3 years ago after a lot of frustration! Real Holley ,some of the Proform pieces but not a fan of the "devil carb" . Sorry to highjack you nitros thread but needed to "vent" just my 02 Tom

boatgonewild
02-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Hay I was just kiddin about that demon thing, Looks like Holly will be the carb of boatgonewild. Should be even faster, and Nos well looks like there will be more opinions, soo.. give them to me.
Thanks gear heads

jetboatperformance
02-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Kind of tough on motors in my opinion,great for Dental work 'specialy if they give you Pink floyd in the headphones ;) Tom

SmokinLowriderSS
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I would double check the clearences on this motor before you stuff it in between the stringers of a boat and run it. Especially important if your thinking about putting the squeeze to it.
The motor would probably be just fine, but the above advice is sound.
You will never IMO work a motor any harder than if you stuff it in a boat and then go enjoy driving the boat arround.
Long hours of high rpm, high-load, running, day after day, month after month.

460 jus getn it
02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Just put it on there and go. If it blows up, BUILD BIGGER. Thats my motto, im also adding a 125 this winter.....

squirt'nmyload
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Just put it on there and go. If it blows up, BUILD BIGGER. Thats my motto, im also adding a 125 this winter.....
this winter as in next winter, cause this winter is over buddy:D :D....get it done and lets GO!!!!!!! :)

SmokinLowriderSS
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
In about 2 weeks order 100-150 adjustable plate system for Lowrider as well.
Past time to replace the MMM system HTP put on 27 years ago (and was still working till mid 2004). :D

Squirtcha?
02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
The motor would probably be just fine, but the above advice is sound.
You will never IMO work a motor any harder than if you stuff it in a boat and then go enjoy driving the boat arround.
Long hours of high rpm, high-load, running, day after day, month after month.
Year after year.
Gotta start taking a different tack here Smokin. I'm gonna start telling guys not to run it. Stuff like..........
"it'll blow the motor in a month". Ya know that type thing.
Too many guys doing it and my boat will just be another in the crowd (again).

boatgonewild
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
:D
Maybe all just sit on that NOS idea for a while, Have not had one problem with the boat since I bought it. Maybe I should lose first before taken the juice.....:D
I know more stereo.....

GUGS102
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
add the sauce and you'll see how well its put together. Just take the total timing to about 40* and hit the button:o
If you are not sure if it has forged pistions, I'd hold off until you have enough dough to build it again, or if you plan on building a mill over the winter, add the sauce in Sept/Oct and go for broke.
Like others have said, plan on replumbing the fuel system too.
I've got a DP 800 here in the garage if you want to try it. Its the good one with two power valves. I think I'll be at Saugaro this Sat for some test and tune. I've got a HP950 to dial in.
Gugs

HotRod Sprint
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
add the sauce and you'll see how well its put together. Just take the total timing to about 40* and hit the button:o
If you are not sure if it has forged pistions, I'd hold off until you have enough dough to build it again, or if you plan on building a mill over the winter, add the sauce in Sept/Oct and go for broke.
Like others have said, plan on replumbing the fuel system too.
I've got a DP 800 here in the garage if you want to try it. Its the good one with two power valves. I think I'll be at Saugaro this Sat for some test and tune. I've got a HP950 to dial in.
Gugs
Hey, did you find that Hei coil for me? I wouldnt mind trying that 800 myself either.
Rod

screamdreambrad
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
one major thing to remember, take timing out when on the button! use a timing retard box. wired into the system. and run a dedicated fuel system for the fuel side of the oxide. do it right the first time and you'll be happy. it's not witchcraft:)

GUGS102
02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey, did you find that Hei coil for me? I wouldnt mind trying that 800 myself either.
Rod
You are welcome to try the carb. I'll look for the coil tomorrow. Worst case is I probally have a new replacement coil to get it on the water.

boatgonewild
02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
What kind of carb is that....:confused:

GUGS102
02-08-2007, 07:18 AM
What kind of carb is that....:confused:
DP=double pumper
It should work better than your edelbrock as the edelbrocks flow under what they are rated for. Depending on the motor combo an 800 of 850 would probally work fine, just depends on the rest of the set up. Single plane, dual plane, heads, ign, nos etc.

460 jus getn it
02-08-2007, 07:21 AM
this winter as in next winter, cause this winter is over buddy:D :D....get it done and lets GO!!!!!!! :)LMAO, ok as in the next few weeks.

boatgonewild
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Gugs101 if your going this weekend, could you bring that carb, that sounds like that carb, and size would be perfect for my 454.
I have a 650 dp, and it was starving for gas, Is the fuel line set up the same, meaning the 800 vs 650
Thanks randy:D

GUGS102
02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Gugs101 if your going this weekend, could you bring that carb, that sounds like that carb, and size would be perfect for my 454.
I have a 650 dp, and it was starving for gas, Is the fuel line set up the same, meaning the 800 vs 650
Thanks randy:D
I think this has a -8 fitting, but worst case is you can swap your fuel rail over and give it a shot. Should be pretty close on tune, had it on a 461 recently.
We are planning on being at Saguaro around 9-10am on Sat morning. Here is a lic of the boat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2928P5130331.JPG

boatgonewild
02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Can hardly wait to see what that big holly does, have been wanting to see what up for over a year, Thanks gugs
Damn this dogs are fartin

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
:confused: :confused:........ LMAO

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Rod
so does this mean you are going????????????:)

boatgonewild
02-09-2007, 06:29 AM
You bet baby, first in the water, first outa da hole, and first across da finish line.
:D :D :D :D :D

wet77
02-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I used a proform 850 with great luck on my 540
It flowed over 1000 cfm on the dyno and ran great all last season.
P.S. its in the spam section now cause I am going BLOWN:devil:
Never tried the NOS seemed like to many things to worry about that could go wrong in a hurry:idea:

HotRod Sprint
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
so does this mean you are going????????????:)
No, check the other thread. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Rod

Squirtcha?
02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Never tried the NOS seemed like to many things to worry about that could go wrong in a hurry:idea:
It's really not scary at all (at least up to a 150 shot anyway).
I was a complete novice when I installed my system. I'm going on my fifth season with it and have run countless bottles through it without any problems whatsoever.
I had my motor built to run nitrous. I did my homework (lots of reading) and was cautious with my setup.
Typically when I'm on the river or lake for a weekend I'll run a little test each day. I'll arm the system and leave the bottle off. I have the system and a dedicated electric fuel pump on the same switch (so when the system is armed the electric fuel pump turns on at the same time). I'll reach back and tickle the microswitch one time which opens the solenoids (remember bottle is off) it'll blubber all over itself from the extra fuel that the solenoid is sending it. If this checks out I know she's getting the extra fuel (very important) and good to go. It takes just a minute to do the test so no big deal there.
Then it's just another day of fun.
I really like using a dedicated electric pump and regulator as they don't pulse, and you don't have to worry about whether or not you have enough pressure for both the motor and the nitrous system. Not really necessary to run a dedicated (or even electric pump), but I had the extra fuel pump laying around. Although I hate electric pumps and would only run a mechanical on my motor, it works great for a few 12 second blasts as a dedicate nitrous pump.
My recommendation would be if you're gonna run it, study up. Ask others that have some time messing around with setup stuff. If you're gonna run over a 100 shot, have your motor built for it.
The two biggest things are probably
Watch your timing. Be conservative and do you plug readings. Nitrous actually works better with less ignition timing. You might sacrafice a little off bottle performance, but it's barely even noticeable and there'll be less chance of hurting something. Most folks say to retard 2 degrees for every 50 hp. This is more of a guideline than a rule and I didn't retard the timing at all for a 100 shot. I'm backed off about 3 degrees for the 150 and have been running it that way for at least two years. I read the plugs after doing a few passes and there were no signs of detonation. She's hanging in there just fine.
Make darned sure that you're adding the extra fuel, it's at the proper psi, and your jetting is correct etc.

squirt'nmyload
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Can hardly wait to see what that big holly does, have been wanting to see what up for over a year, Thanks gugs
had to bump it....LMAO

67weimann
03-05-2007, 09:21 PM
lmao

SmokinLowriderSS
03-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Bolted the new system on last week and waiting for summer! :D :D :D

patrolman808
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
NOS is a company. Nitrous or N2O is the gas used ;) and a 125 shot shouldn't hurt anything even on a stock motor.