PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel For Ford 351?

DMOORE
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Well ,I was just completing installing new exhaust manifolds on my 87 Ski Centurion, when I ran into another problem. After installing the manifolds, I went to fire the boat up and the starter spun but not the motor. After thinking it was a stuck bendix, I pulled the starter and everything checked out. I reinstalled, and no go, so off it came again. Thats when I checked the flywheel and sure enough, the teeth were rusted and ground away. Not a nice site.
So here is my question. The boat has a PCM 351, direct drive set up. Is this flywheel the same for a car? Or, is it completely different? Anyone know where I could get one?
Actually glad it happened now and not at the start of summer. Any info will help.
Darrell

Blown 472
02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
You should be able to just replace the ring gear, it comes off with some heat, we used a torch to heat it up. Rap it with a hammer and off it comes. Get a new ring gear at the ford dealership, heat it up and slip it on.

WVspeedfreak
02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Darrell, I am just guessing, but I would say the flywheel is the same as automotive. I had a racealuminium flywheel one time that did same as yours. I went to local auto store and they had a ring gear that was a stock replacement, that fit my racing flywheel. When you find ring gear that fits, throw it in the oven for a few min at 400 degrees and throw the flywheel in the freezer, and then ring gear will drop right on with minimal hammering.
Mike

DMOORE
02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I had no idea that the ring gear could be replaced. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the trans without removing the entire motor/ trans assembly. That will save a bunch of work.
Thanks again.
Darrell.

f_inscreenname
02-10-2007, 04:21 PM
You should be able to just replace the ring gear, it comes off with some heat, we used a torch to heat it up. Rap it with a hammer and off it comes. Get a new ring gear at the ford dealership, heat it up and slip it on.
I know a couple guys that stick the ring gear in the BBQ grill to get them nice and hot then slip it on the flywheel. Works every time.