PDA

View Full Version : Towed boat

Southwest47
02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Well I swore I would never tow a boat because I was told it is detrimental to your boat!
This weekend while at Elsinore, I had a dead battery due to a long stint parked in the driveway.:( Some guy saved my day by jumping my boat, making my day a successful test run...for the summer months.
Anyway, while making my last run before heading in for the day, I noticed the same boater was floating in the center of the lake working on his engine. I quickly flipped a bitch and rendered assistance. Turns out, he was having engine problems too, more specifically, carburetor problems. So without hesitation, I offered to tow him to dock, which I swore I would never do.
The point of this post is that you never know what karma may bring you. He did a solid for me, so my only option was to return the favor (quid pro quo).
Whoever you were...thanks again for the jump!!

DMOORE
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Pass it forward my friend. It will come back tenfold.
Darrell.

squirt'nmyload
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Pass it forward my friend. It will come back tenfold.
Darrell.
yes it will....i just gave a guy a jump last weekend at the docks, although i second guessed the deed cause it was a plow boat:D ....he had the wife, kids and dog all loaded up and ready, then....click, click, click.......i pulled the battery out of my boat and gave it to him to use....the smiles on the kids faces were worth it!!!:)

HocusPocus
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
i have never turned away from another boater in trouble. i have even gone out of my way to check on a boat i thought was in trouble.. turns out they were just trying to flag down a friend shooting by at high speed. :D

77charger
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Have towed others and been towed myself.

Jetaholic
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I always thought it was an unspoken rule to tow someone in or give a jump to whoever needed it on the water...

Tom Brown
02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I've worn out a few tow ropes in my day... on both ends.

QuickJet
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I've been towed by a 32 ft cat, a jet ski and few in between.

KineticoH20
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Just curious, why would you swear to never help a boater out by towing them before?

RitcheyRch
02-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Good job. Always good to help out a fellow boater regardless of what type of boat he or she is in.

purrfecttremor
02-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Just curious, why would you swear to never help a boater out by towing them before?
Thats what I was going to ask. What goes around comes around. Karma MY ASS!!!!!!!!

mmered8299
02-07-2007, 05:54 AM
I've been towed by a 32 ft cat, a jet ski and few in between.
A jet ski? Now thats just wrong.

sangervdrive
02-07-2007, 06:51 AM
I've been towed and towed, I thought it was an unspoken rule too.

centerhill condor
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Have towed others and been towed myself.
We spent the night and one morning at about 0500 this guy wakes us saying he's in distress. He rowed for four hours to get to us and was passed by several boaters that wouldn't help.
Long story short we gave him a jump and him and his son went home. Have been towed and expect it again!

HM
02-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Well I swore I would never tow a boat because I was told it is detrimental to your boat!
Who ever told you this is a fukking moron. How is it detrimental to your boat unless you are trying to tow at planning speed or you connect the tow rope to something you shouldn't?

havaduner
02-07-2007, 07:05 AM
First line of the post, heard it was detremental to his boat.
First rule of boating,,,,, always help a fellow boater out.

OKIE-JET
02-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Been towed, given a jump, lent a battery, given gas, borrowed gas cans and anything in between. Now I look for people who need help...no-one should have a bad time at the lake, and KARMA is real!:D

Southwest47
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I was told long ago that towing a boat is very stressful to your engine. Based on the previous posts, I guess I was told wrong.
Please don't misunderstand my decision to not tow boats in the past. It's not that I'm an a-hole just looking out for #1, I was just under the impression that towing is harmful.:confused:
Now that I've been learned...I would not hesitate to tow a fellow boater. BTW...F the lake lice that took up the whole dock and made me wait to load my boat!:mad:

Baja Big Dog
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
cool...:)

BajaMike
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
One of the dumber statements I've seen posted on Hot Boat.....glad we got you educated.....:idea:
:)

OverKill
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I to had to lower my self and had to be towed two different times in one day by jet skiies. Talk about test ant tune what a nightmare that was.

jbone
02-09-2007, 05:02 AM
I towed others many times, and been towed once.
The only thing around when I needed a tow was a jet ski. He towed me about 5 miles down river. That 3 seeter did fine. I have to admit, it was very embarrassing to be towed by a ski. I had a dead battery and just as we got to the marina, where everyone was, I tried her one more time. She fired up and I motered to the dock. That saved a little face.
The only thing I can towing is hard on, is the gas tank. She sucks some fuel when towing.
J

Ultracrazy
02-09-2007, 05:05 AM
One of the dumber statements I've seen posted on Hot Boat.....glad we got you educated.....:idea:
:)
Thats a little harsh...........I think the guy knows better now so cut him a little slack shall we :confused:

mrs.rvrluvr
02-09-2007, 05:25 AM
we have towed many a boat. The worst one was when Thompson Bay used to be really nasty ( not a no wake zone) we saw a guy standing on the tip of his swamped boat. We tried to help him out and almost swamped our boat too. Luckily we didn't go all the way down but we took on alot of water. Scared the hell out of us but we still don't hesitate to help any one any time

sangervdrive
02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
we have towed many a boat. The worst one was when Thompson Bay used to be really nasty ( not a no wake zone) we saw a guy standing on the tip of his swamped boat. We tried to help him out and almost swamped our boat too. Luckily we didn't go all the way down but we took on alot of water. Scared the hell out of us but we still don't hesitate to help any one any time
Man it would suck to see a dude with his boat going under, really not a good feeling I would imagine.

dumbandyoung
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I always help guys in need, even if I have to go outta my way. I was at Lake Mohave two years ago and a guy rolled up into our cove in a boat and said one of his sea-doos was outta gas and it was a long way back to Katherines landing(5 miles).
So I went back with the guy with a full 5 gallon jug and filled his ski up.... for free! Anyways the next day I was cruising around the jetti back by the river at night and got stuck. Out of no where an Indian guy roles up on a quad and calls a buddy to pull us out....Remember what you reap you sow.

Dan Lorenze
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I've towed and have been towed quite a few times. The most memorable time was when my old boat developed a crack in the block and water got in the oil. We were at Lake Mojave stranded, a nice lesbian couple on a Seadoo pulled up and towed us probably a mile or so to the closest ramp. They were way cool and wouldn't take any money. I hitched a ride back to Katherines Landing and got the truck.. Good times..

dumbandyoung
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I've towed and have been towed quite a few times. The most memorable time was when my old boat developed a crack in the block and water got in the oil. We were at Lake Mojave stranded, a nice lesbian couple on a Seadoo pulled up and towed us probably a mile or so to the closest ramp. They were way cool and wouldn't take any money. I hitched a ride back to Katherines Landing and got the truck.. Good times..
So did the lesbos have ape hangers on their sea doo?

blender over
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Im always towing in my buddies shit box stoker .:D

TAF
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
:) :D
This is why I am a boater and love helping on dragboats. We are family! It is said the rest of the world can't treat each other as we do between us boaters.:idea:
I've been at both ends of the tow rope many times. The best story (I remember) is when in '88 I was at Lake Mojave 1/2 way up the lake hanging out at a beach all day. Late after noon came to head back to Catherines Landing my 18' jetboat wouldn't start. I ran the battery dead trying. It got dark and my buddy had to tow me, my sis and 2 other friends back in the dark with his stand up jetski. The next day after everyone left for home I found out a drag boat T-shirt had blown out from under my boatseat, into the bilge area, the flywheel grabbed it and flung it up into the bell housing where I couldn't see it. Inexpensive fix.

squirt'nmyload
02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
The best story (I remember) is when in '88 I was at Lake Mojave .
ROTFLMFAO...............let me know if you are in for tomorrow:)

Caljamr
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I towed a lake lice back to Tower Park Marina on the Delta. He ran out of gas and was just floating. I thought twice....why give a lice a tow. When i loaded up my boat on the trailer and took it back to my campsite this guy and his friends were camped next to me. Free beer and food for the night. Come to find out his friends didn't look back and left him sitting dead in the water. All in all it was the right thing to do. :)