PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

sausage450r
02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I just bought my first jet boat. its a '74 Hallet with 455 olds, and jacuzzi pump. What can i do to it to get more performance? It has an edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, pump recently rebuilt, with a place diverter. No points distributer. I've been told if i tear into the 455 im just asking for a grenade. How much difference will i see with a basically stock 454 or 460 with same intake carb type setup? I believe the pump is the wj model, is there an uprade i should get for that? Any help would be nice

Elimin8Jet71
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
The 455 can be a problem if you leave the RPM's hanging up around 5k for too long....Unless the motor has been gone through with oil restrictors in the mains and what not, it will starve for oil since the oil can't get back to the oil pan fast enough. The oil will get stuck up in the heads. So if the throttle is not at the WFO setting all the time, you will be alright...;)

Elimin8Jet71
02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
455's are torque monters.....if you want to compare it to a 454. The Chevy will have more top end horse power but less low end torque because of the better flowing heads and a 1/4 inch shorter stroke than the olds. And of course with a chevy or Ford you don't have to worry about oil issues...

dumbandyoung
02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
If it runs good sell it and buy a 460 ford! or a chevy

atxwrangler
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
If it runs good sell it and buy a 460 ford! or a chevy
i second that!check into an energizer kit for the pump!:)

sidewound
02-07-2007, 08:30 PM
If you just bought it enjoy it for a year.
Then you'll be able to decide what you want in the future.
My lead sled has a 455 and will run consistantly in the mid 60's for fairly long periods of time with only minor mods.
The original 455 that I rebuilt had been running in the boat for over 30 yrs. so don't take too much of the anti olds rhetoric to heart.
Chevy's or fords are cheaper to build and easier to find parts for.
Just remember you'll need new intake,exhaust,engine mounts and possibly some driveline parts with a changeover. KACHING!
Welcome to jet boating
Peace man!:cool:
CESAR

psdperformance
02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey nothing wrong with a 455 olds my father inlaw ran his (now mine) for over 20 yrs no problems. I rebuilt it just for fun. If you do rebuild the motor just install a couple of little mods to restrict the oil from pumping it all into the heads. Get a 10 qt oil pan,a set of oil restricters,arp rod bolts,roller rockers,new cam,intake maniflod,forged pistons and have fun!:D It'll run for another 20+ years!:D
Later chris

sausage450r
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
to be fair to the boat. I got it in trade for a motorcycle. the motor fires off the second i hit the starter. it idles just a little rough, but it runs great throughout the powerband. it doesnt die comming back down to idle or when idling for extended periods of time. I like the idea of the 10 quart pan. I will have to look at the motor mounts and see if they will allow for it. I dont think the motor has ever been rebuilt (which would make it 33 years old). I took it to el cap reservoir and ran it, wasnt very impressive as far as speed. it goes well, but doesnt get there in a hurry (probably a tired motor). 45-50mph is my estimate for top speed. My boss is pretty big into boat racing (he used to hold the IHBA speed record in a top fuel dragster). He says if it runs i shouldn't bother rebuilding it. my big question is. should i freshen up this motor? or just swap it out with the 460 or 454? will those motors with just the same mods (intake, carb, heads) make much of a difference? My thoughts are pull the motor, go through it (pistons, valves, etc. no major machine work). and maybe it will wake it up a bit.

sausage450r
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
i second that!check into an energizer kit for the pump!:)
whats the energizer kit?? get it from rex marine? it has a new wear ring and impeller was just sharpened

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Get a handheld gps and verify speed. Then go from there;)

Squirtcha?
02-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Or just swap it out with the 460 or 454? will those motors with just the same mods (intake, carb, heads) make much of a difference?
Just as a frame of reference............My 18.5 semi-V ran 60-62 mph consistently with a bone stock BBF 460. I was running headers, a piece of crap single plane intake, and a Holley 750 vac carb at the time. The motor ran like a champ and was super reliable. Granted it was tired (most likely original from 1976) but a compression check, leakdown test, and eventually the disassembly revealed no excessive wear. Everything was in great shape and I doubt I would've gained any speed by freshening it up with rings and bearings, or even completely rebuilding it to stock specs etc.
Had I not wanted more speed, I wouldn't have touched it.
In my humble opinion the BBC and BBF are probably better choices to build up (more hp and rpm) but there are a few pretty damned fast BBOs out there too. With proper mods it seems they'll do the job and live.
However, I feel fairly safe in saying that if you ever visit a 1/4 mile drag you'll not see any BBOs there (at least not competitive). Largely it just depends on what it is you want to do.

centerhill condor
02-08-2007, 06:11 AM
like some others have said...just drive the thing. You'll have plenty of time to spend more money! Welcome aboard, btw.

OverKill
02-08-2007, 02:36 PM
That is some very good advice, Just drive the thing hang out on the water as much as possible and see what other jetters have done. I tell ya %95 of the upgrades I have on mine came from the boards (Hot Boat.com), and just racking the minds of those who have been doing this for a while.
Another good thing with haveing that 455. With all that torque you have I'll bet you hall the most beer faster out of the whole.:eek: :eek: :eek:

atxwrangler
02-13-2007, 05:31 PM
a guy on the texas ***boats board has a used energizer pump for sale for the wj,it's rare i'll fetch the link for ya!:D

atxwrangler
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.texas***boats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2566

76ANTHONY
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
to be fair to the boat. I got it in trade for a motorcycle. the motor fires off the second i hit the starter. it idles just a little rough, but it runs great throughout the powerband. it doesnt die comming back down to idle or when idling for extended periods of time. I like the idea of the 10 quart pan. I will have to look at the motor mounts and see if they will allow for it. I dont think the motor has ever been rebuilt (which would make it 33 years old). I took it to el cap reservoir and ran it, wasnt very impressive as far as speed. it goes well, but doesnt get there in a hurry (probably a tired motor). 45-50mph is my estimate for top speed. My boss is pretty big into boat racing (he used to hold the IHBA speed record in a top fuel dragster). He says if it runs i shouldn't bother rebuilding it. my big question is. should i freshen up this motor? or just swap it out with the 460 or 454? will those motors with just the same mods (intake, carb, heads) make much of a difference? My thoughts are pull the motor, go through it (pistons, valves, etc. no major machine work). and maybe it will wake it up a bit.
if its stalling out when at idle, check out that cam, mine was wayyyyyy to big for the single plane manifold i had on it at first and it did the same thing, even when i cranked the idle up. but then again i rebuilt my olds, just ta be different and not a chevy or ford dude, and it runs great and yes its been up to 6500 rpms but not for too long, im sure my boat will hit 70 but i dont go that quick. i like my olds and if it runs, keep it for a year and then decide if you need more power..its all about what you want...got a pic of this said boat????

pw_Tony
02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Don't take apart the Olds! If you hop it up expect to just use it as an anchor next season. They are reputable for oiling problems but I hear a story of some running for over 15yrs and what not. Don't boost the power.
If you want performance go for a BBC. Everyone's got them and they're cheaper to build cause everyone's got them.
If you want longevity go with The BBF 460/429. Almost everyone one I know in a boat last 10+ years. They're just harder to get performance parts for the same price as the Chevy. But they'll last longer.
If you want originality go for a Big Block Dodge. Other dodge guy's yould see it and think you're so cool haha. They're much lighter than BBF AND BBC and for the price you can get a stout HP number out of them, and they last pretty long too.
But kick the olds once it breaks.

GottaJet
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
like some others have said...just drive the thing. You'll have plenty of time to spend more money! Welcome aboard, btw.HEAR HEAR !

TIMINATOR
02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
***boat has a magazine. Read the article on The Practical Olds, June 2006. Also Professional Products has a new 455 Olds RPM Airgap type of intake new to the market. Call me if you need Jacuzzi stuff too, a friend has a Jacuzzi with the energizer kit , its all new and fresh and way cheap! Drop it in and run it. TIMINATOR

luv2race
02-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I just bought my first jet boat. its a '74 Hallet with 455 olds, and jacuzzi pump. What can i do to it to get more performance? It has an edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, pump recently rebuilt, with a place diverter. No points distributer. I've been told if i tear into the 455 im just asking for a grenade. How much difference will i see with a basically stock 454 or 460 with same intake carb type setup? I believe the pump is the wj model, is there an uprade i should get for that? Any help would be nice
I would go with a chevy or ford more available parts to up grade. And you can make your pump into a bercuzzi. (modify your jacuzzi to work almost like a berkley) Get a hold of the pump king Harold I'm sure he can do that.
www.R-DMARINE.com
good luck with your boat