PDA

View Full Version : Riviera Flatbottom

63stevens
07-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a RivieraFlatbottom?What can you tell me about them?

Backfire
07-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Aren't those the same as the bubble-tail Biesemeiers of the late 50's/early 60's?

VoodooCanoe426
07-12-2002, 06:03 PM
I beleave they are Hallet copies. I think there is one ebay now.

jordanpaulk
07-13-2002, 11:15 AM
What year was it built and where was it manufactured? I have a 78 Riviera jet that was built in Phoenix. Do you have a hull ID# for the boat as that can tell you alot about it.
Jordy

63stevens
07-14-2002, 11:39 AM
The reason I asked the question is because I see one for sale in the OCBoat Trader. The boat and trailer less engine are for sale for $1500.00 and I was wondering if they are any good to go fast in.

FlatRacer
07-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Back in the 80s there was a guy who won the Super Stock circle racing high points championship with a Riviera. It looked like a copy of a Barron Sprint (Hallet).

Flash D
07-14-2002, 05:19 PM
I saw the same boat and was considering buying it and fixing it up. I have not looked at it personally, but here is what I know having grown up with this type of boat...The one you are looking at is the Elite '19. Popular ski race boat in the late 70's, built in AZ, and has a slight v-bottom. Good GN type lines, in my opinion, however many of the ski race boats flipped going into the turns at high speed. I can't see how the handling would be any different than a traditional flat bottom. If you don't plan on going into a turn at 70+, it might be worth considering. If it is in good condition, it is a bargain.

SK48
07-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Your right in the 80's a guy named Ed Johnson from Newport Beach Ca. was high point champion in SS in a Riviera. Boats ran really fast in the straights, but did not turn as well as a Biesemeyer. I like the look of the deck on them, but i think the bottom is different than a Baron sprint (Hallett)

jordanpaulk
07-16-2002, 08:55 AM
I know you guys won't like what is hanging off the back, but here is a picture of my '78 Riviera:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/nice_boat.JPG
If you have any specific questions throw them out as I talk to the guy who used to build them from time to time.
Jordan

Stab-n-Steer
07-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Jordan,
Dude, that's the biggest pressure washer I've ever seen! Why does the front look like a boat???
S&S

63stevens
07-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Jordan, I don't have anything against jets. In fact I was thinking about going with my son's and getting a squirter. Mainly because I think for them it would be safer. I myself like v-drives. Had one in the family since 57. Right now have a 63 Stevens that my brother and I share but I would like to put together something different that will go alittle faster. How does the v-drive model compare to the jet hull?

jordanpaulk
07-16-2002, 05:16 PM
I dont have anything against v-drives, I just like pulling you guys' chain. Now I have a pic of my jet in the v-drive forum... LOL.
As far as the difference between hulls, I really dont know as this is the only one I have seen. It is a sweet riding hull and is rather fast, for a jet of course. I will talk to the guy who built them and see what I can find out for you.
Jordan

beezer7205
01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
the riviera flat bottom was the last boat that rusty biesemeyer did. most were built by shaka boats in phx az. mike byrnes had the moldes and just sold them about a year ago. they are in tx now and going to be out on the water soon. they were faster than the biesemeyer but did not turn as well as one. i had one of the last ones mike ever built before shaka closed down. very nice boats