PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with these???

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Looks like my old Southwind Formula (http://www.bamcojetboats.com/)

Elimin8Jet71
02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't know about that boat, but i do know that that 8.23@160.56 on what i like to call a snow-mobile must be a pretty insane ride....;)

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know about that boat, but i do know that that 8.23@160.56 on what i like to call a snow-mobile must be a pretty insane ride....;)
If my sled could cook (in the kitchen;) )...I'd be a single man. :D

Squirtcha?
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I agree that it looks a whole lot like the Southwind Formula T deck. You don't suppose.............nah couldn't be the Southwind molds copied? (again).
Who would ever do a thing like that?
Nice looking boats. Couple things I'm not sure how I feel about.
1. Powdercoated motors. Sure I like powder coating. Just not sure about the whole thing being done.
http://www.bamcojetboats.com/P9220217_bcopy.jpg
2. The diamond plating in the bilge/engine bay area. Makes me wonder what holds it in there (glue?) and how long it would take to come loose. Also having to polish it would be a bitch.
http://www.bamcojetboats.com/P9220311.jpg
Boats are nicely finished and I like the gelwork on em.
That page has been around for a few years now. Always the same two boats in the picture gallery and I wonder how many they've actually built.
The engine upgrades, gelcoat colors, pump pages have been under construction for a long time.
Anyway............I'm always happy to see boat builders giving it a go. I have to think that if you're really going to make it, you have to pick a hull that's in big demand (aka Gullwing-like, or a Daytona-like hull).
No roasting now..................they're just a couple opinions and observations.
Oh yeah one last thing. It looks like they stole Nordic's logo.
http://www.nordicpowerboats.com/images/logo_01.jpg

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I remember a while back (when I had my SW Formula) I noticed that Cobra had a hull VERY similiar to mine. I called, and was told that is "probably" was the same. I got rid of mine, it only had engine length stringers. Great first boat though!!
And yes...gel work looks nice! Gullwing or Cheyenne, my favs too.

Elimin8Jet71
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
If my sled could cook (in the kitchen;) )...I'd be a single man. :D
I would bet that there are quite a few guys out there that would say the same about their "favorite machines":) I will for sure be saying the same when my Chevelle gets down to the 8.** second range....:D

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
You drag race?? a little outlaw track my dad and I own stock in (www.winterportdragway.com)
What year Chevelle? Pops gotta 64 GTO with a 540 (we refer to it a a "GM 540" LOL) in it. Outlaw 10" tire car. Goes good. Lotsa fun!

Squirtcha?
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I remember a while back (when I had my SW Formula) I noticed that Cobra had a hull VERY similiar to mine. I called, and was told that is "probably" was the same. I got rid of mine, it only had engine length stringers. Great first boat though!!
And yes...gel work looks nice! Gullwing or Cheyenne, my favs too.
Then ya have to wonder....................where did the Cobra come from?

Nucking futs
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
That mold has been passed around like a cheap hooker. The owner of that company called me last oct. That is the original southwind mold from what he told me but southwind sold that mold with the swtd and 18 to a guy in sacramento and i know that he made a few out of it. Lakes only is one of them, but i did see it in oc a few years ago.

Dogballs
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
That mold has been passed around like a cheap hooker. The owner of that company called me last oct. That is the original southwind mold from what he told me but southwind sold that mold with the swtd and 18 to a guy in sacramento and i know that he made a few out of it. Lakes only is one of them, but i did see it in oc a few years ago.
Whats wrong with a cheap hooker?:confused:

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
It's a whole lot better than a FAT hooker.:eek:

Nucking futs
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Nothing if your into that kinda thing....:eek:
I could'nt answer a single question the guy asked me either. He wanted to know the lay up schedule and how many were built and stuff like that. I told hime I was only 10-12 yrs. old and just drove around the shops crashing colf carts and steeling sugar cubes. He was real intersted in performance. I gave hin pauls(L.O.) # and said he has the best running one I ever seen. Seemed real eager to get them out but if I remember right, he was real high on the price for a turn key boat that size.

Squirtcha?
02-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I told hime I was only 10-12 yrs. old and just drove around the shops crashing colf carts and steeling sugar cubes.
I'm picturing this. Too funny. Raising hell.

Elimin8Jet71
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
You drag race?? a little outlaw track my dad and I own stock in (www.winterportdragway.com)
What year Chevelle? Pops gotta 64 GTO with a 540 (we refer to it a a "GM 540" LOL) in it. Outlaw 10" tire car. Goes good. Lotsa fun!
Yeah I drag race....It is a '69 Chevelle nothing special about it yet...I ran the PSCA races at California Speedway when the car was running. Also ran the Summit E.T. Series. Had a Small Block 406 in it, ran a best of 12.17@ around 110mph. Edelbrock RPM heads Eagle and KB bottom end running about 10.2:1. Drove it on the street to and from and track and any other time I felt that I could afford to fill the tank (Gas.....soooo expensive these days...) Motor blew back in june and i am now building a 496. Just got my AFR 325cc's and i am waiting on some J.E. 14:1 pistons to come in....:D

Dimarco Kid
02-09-2007, 04:33 AM
That oughta run hard...14-1's will enlighten you on gas prices! LOL Dad runs almost that in the 540, but man doesn't that much comp. sound nice through flowmasters!!
Last fall he dipped into the 8's with it. 3 times I think. It was the "last frontier" according to him. Now 8.50's are...:D Where is the last frontier? Or is there one??!!:idea:

Elimin8Jet71
02-09-2007, 06:50 AM
That oughta run hard...14-1's will enlighten you on gas prices!
Oh yeah.....I know. VP 110 and C12 ain't cheap....But I got a bit of a hook up on fuel....:D My goal is to see the 9.60's...but in a 3500 lbs car with a 29.5X10.5 tire and stock style suspension, consistant 9.60's will take some time to tune in. I am shooting to run the 9.60 index class in the PSCA, but we see what happens. As far as the final frontier goes.....for a typical speed junkie.....depends on how deep your pockets are;) ......Mine are not that deep yet:D

sanger rat
02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
They are Cobra hulls. I've seen the purple one on the lake.

UltraJet
03-31-2007, 11:02 AM
My boat is a 2000 Ultra Formula Jet(18.5') and seems to be the same exact hull as the mold in question. Looks as if Ultra may have had the rights to this hull prior to cobra performance boats?? Also looks like Cobra no longer is making a jet boat under 20' in length.

pebo
03-31-2007, 12:26 PM
I bought a new SW Formula 1 at Boat City (that's a name from the past) in 78'. Had 454 405HP and it hauled ass, although i was young then. Ran it all the time at Havasu. It seemed like a light layup. It split the back floor about 15" long and sank in shallow water. Southwind made good on it and fixed it. Sold it a year later. Kinda miss it. :)