PDA

View Full Version : 2 Blade versus 3 Blade

Cole 383
12-13-2001, 05:45 PM
Has anybody tried a three blade prop on a hydro? I have been interested in trying one but am afraid to buy one and find out it's no good. I do know Bob Kyle runs one on his Deaver but it is 11/4 shaft and wont fit my boat. If the rooster tail is any indication of how a prop works, his must be good. That thing throws a tail like a fuel boat. Has anyone taken a 2 blade off and put a 3 blade on and made a run with no other changes? I also would like to know how they make the boat handle, shut down etc.
Thanks for your help 383

PE857
12-14-2001, 10:58 AM
Hey 383,
Ive got a n extra 3 blade off my wellcraft if u think it will help u out any. its supposed to have 205 HP. Think u can turn it? If u cant i might have an extra supercharger to help u out. LOL!
Why would a guy running 8.0's all the time even be thinking about changing anything. Of course i forgot about you freshing up your Indian. That might make a diff.
Guess we'll see in Poplar Bluff, huh?!?
C Ya, Man VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

hydro066
12-14-2001, 04:03 PM
Hi 383
I'll check with the evinrude shop next door - I think I can get you a loaner to try.
Let me get this right - you're trying to red light AND break out.
I personally think a better investment for you would be a pair of glasses. Oh, I forgot - you already tried that.
Hi Jim Later,066

PE857
12-14-2001, 04:21 PM
hey Agent066,
how ya doin John. Looks like 383 is lookin for some more performance. Reckon hes gettin worried about the huffers in the crowd? Maybe he doesnt trust the gigglin gas amymore. Not really, dont forget Mr B youll always be my hero.
john have the girls worked out the details of new years eve deal in Daytona? Ive been afraid to ask sandie k. She said when we went ot disney she wanted to have breakfast with Mickey, and i told her we would,every morning, Mickey D's. Just like boat racin, huh? Can't have a boat race without Mcdonalds for breakfast and a Wal Mart for everything else.
Later 857

shirkey4750
12-14-2001, 04:33 PM
Hey Jim if your on here, jeff's having a party at his house tomorow night free food. Call him or me for details. Bought Shirley another blazer, going to Ashland to pick it up tomorow.
John

Cole 383
12-14-2001, 05:00 PM
You guys,
I pulled this sight up and saw 3 replies. I told polly I was going to find out something. Polly is the only one around here who pretends to listen to me. But anyway, thought wrong. Just you S--- heads making fun of me. Pay backs wont be pretty. I got some good pills to calm my nerves and slow down that itchy trigger finger. So no more easy wins for you 857. And I figure I can make a pretty good profit off mister cool 066 when that big alky of his fires up for worm up, first qualifying round.
You guys are the best, 383

hydro066
12-14-2001, 06:03 PM
WE'RE NOT MAKING FUN - I think it's called constructive criticism.
Seriously though, I wish someone would come back with some informative feedback on the three blade deal. Didn't you tell me that Bob never did slip the 2-blade on just for comparison purposes?
Jim, what have you found out about your blower? Anyone closer? Also, I don't know anything else about Daytona yet. I'll ask later tonight if I don't forget.
Yes, Leland. I'm sure you will have the last laugh.
Hi John S
Later

superdave013
12-14-2001, 06:34 PM
cole, you should ask that over at dragboatracing.com
I am sure Ron Braksma or someone over there has done that with a boat like yours. I have seen three blade props on hydros but they were all top fuel deals. But what do I know, I'm just a washed up flatbottom driver.
So, where is all this racing taking place at?

Cole 383
12-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Dave,
Your probably right about dragboats but its easier on this sight and a lot of draggers read these posts too. I have never seen a fuel boat with a 3 blade. Not that they havent run then. I have talked to Harold Kenswater about them. He seems to really like a 3 blade. Thats who made the one for Kyle. That boat is definetly the roostertail king of pe boats. He also runs very consistant. I'm sure somebody will stumble across this with a good story. Thanks for the feedback. 383

Jetboatguru
12-14-2001, 09:32 PM
Cole383, I know of one guy running a three blade on a Sanger Hydro. He won the 8 Second Pro Eliminator World Championship IHBA. His boat saw 8.0s everywhere he went. Runs a clutch and dumps it at 7000 rpms. You should contact him as he has his act together. His name is Joe Shelfo. Go to Dragboatracing.com and look for a guy named Freaky.

PGF545
12-17-2001, 08:24 PM
There is a real good debate about this topic on Dragboatracing right now....Joe did post his impressions about the 3 blade props on there. I know he has made it work very successfully as he is the champ...lol.

pgf127rt
12-18-2001, 03:33 PM
Cole, there is great discussion on 3 blades, and Joe Shelfo is the triple blade guru, his explanation of why, is very informative, the type prop it is he will probably tell you, but then, I hate funerals, and that is a closely guarded secret within the Freaky Team, I wish I had tried one on a PGF, just to see what it would do, or maybe it's just as well I didn't as I never had a prob with lift.

flaco104
01-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Craig Johnson used to run a Precision Three blade made by Tom Black. Craig ran the 9 second class in ihba div2, and SDBA with a edelbrock tunnel rammed 468 with old chevrolet aluminum heads. Was super consistent with that prop. It seemed to provide great lift right off the line. I wanted one as well when i was building my hydro as well, but tom black died that summer, so i just picked up a used 2 blade.