PDA

View Full Version : Take 2...Yamaha Outboards...

Zaairman
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Ok guys, the bastard with the Merc 200's decided that he's going to rebuild the busted motor... So I found a 1998 Yamaha 200, 20" shaft with 250 hours on it. Is this a good motor? Anything I need to know about it?
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/Zaairman/1973%20Tahiti/yam3.jpg

Towndrunk
02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Not generally as fast as a merc stock but is a very dependable motor. I run a yamaha on my hunting boat. Whats the price on this one?

Tom Brown
02-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I'd take a 20" Yamaha over a 25" Mercury any day. I'm not familiar with the 200 (the engines around here are all much smaller), but every Yamaha in our lake community has had spectacular reliability. Also, any tests I've read show Yamaha to trail a bit to Merc in performance but lead significantly in fuel economy.
Personally, I think that's a great engine for you. Bolt that thing on there, twist the key, and enjoy many, many hours of fun. It should be a serious performer too.

Zaairman
02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
The asking is $1300 without any controls. And like I said guys, I'm not looking for crazy balls to the wall speed, but 60 MPH is my ideal top speed in this boat. My buddy is going to check it out next week, do a compression check on it, run it, etc, and if he like it, he's going to make an offer for me. He works at a marina so he knows what he's doing. Also, it's a FRESHWATER motor! :D

Ron Hill
02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
What are you looking for? I may have three of four V-6 Mercs I could put together...After March first I'll have two Yamaha V-6's...
What are you looking to pay? I may have missed much...
Seems when we were running the Yamaha's in MOD VP, the gearcase with a little suspect.....But I had a 225 for about 8 years with no trouble on a 20 Foot Bahner Ski boat...
I do know, that finding a cranshaft for the old V-6 Yammies is difficult...Not impossible...difficult.

Forkin' Crazy
02-09-2007, 11:36 PM
The asking is $1300 without any controls. And like I said guys, I'm not looking for crazy balls to the wall speed, but 60 MPH is my ideal top speed in this boat. My buddy is going to check it out next week, do a compression check on it, run it, etc, and if he like it, he's going to make an offer for me. He works at a marina so he knows what he's doing. Also, it's a FRESHWATER motor! :D
If it has good compression, go for it! How much time and abuse, check the skeg out for wear, paint missing, gouges, etc. That motor should go 1500 hrs at least if maintained properly. It is just broken in!

Forkin' Crazy
02-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Zaairman, what kind of hull is that. Looks like one of my friends... 16, maybe 17 feet long. I don't think you would want to run a 200 WFO on it. :eek: Check out your transom really well. You may want to put some aluminum plates on the outside and inside of the transom. :)
I know a guy that owns a Yami dealer here. He might have a control box laying around if you can't come up with one.

Zaairman
02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Forkin, it's a 16' hull with a reinforced transom, rated for 200 hp before it was reinforced. And like I've said before, I'm not looking for ass crazy speed. I just want more power. Also, I will definetly be doing the aluminum plates at least on the outside. And if I do get this Yama, I'll be for sure hitting you up for the contol box and wiring.
Ron, I'm looking for a 150 - 200 HP outboard, about $1500 max is my spending limit. Let me know what you've got.

Ron Hill
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
IS that Yammie in the picture a 20"?? $1,300 is a good price...
So, I guess I have no clue where St. Charles is...But, I ain't in to shipping nothing but props...
I was looking at the Yamaha picture, it looks longer than 20!!!

Zaairman
02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Senor Ron, St. Chuck is right outside STL, MO. Also, it's a 20incher. I should know within the next week if its mine or not.... :D