PDA

View Full Version : 454 owners, how big is your dipstick?

f_inscreenname
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I have been rebuilding a 454 (1986 MIE340) over the winter. One thing that was missing when I bought the motor was the oil pan dip stick. The original tube is there but no stick. Does anyone have the length measurements of the stick its self?
I know some will say fill it up to the recommended capacity and then mark the stick but my manual says 6 qts with oil filter. Its says nothing about if you have a remote oil filter (I do) or when its a dry motor (never started). Or do you pour the oil down into the motor so 98% of it goes in the pan and then measure it??
Over this stupid thing I am lost.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-08-2007, 06:36 PM
My dipstick is very large.
The one on my 454 is the flexible one tho (Thru-Transom headers).
My stock one is available, hanging, on the garage wall, undamaged, intact, 2 pieces (tube plus insert).Likely to go really cheeep. :)
Also available in an intake manifold. Good, solid, undamaged GM iron, guaranteed to last almost forever. :D
Also usable as a substitute for an anchor.:idea:

GofastRacer
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah right!..:D :D :D
Also available in an intake manifold. Good, solid, undamaged GM iron, guaranteed to last almost forever. :D
What kind is it, a Quadrajunk model or is it an early square type???..

Ned S
02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
I had to fabricate a dipstick for my SB stroker motor. I put 4qts in then primed the system with a drill attachment in the dist hole then drained the oil. I then subtracted the capacity of the standard filter.
When I drained the oil, just to be sure it was all out I pulled the drain hose off.

fatboy95
02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
The one on my 454 is the flexible one tho (Thru-Transom headers).
My stock one is available, hanging, on the garage wall, undamaged, intact, 2 pieces (tube plus insert).Likely to go really cheeep. :)
Mine is too long, it bends when I stick it in....:)

f_inscreenname
02-09-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks Ned.
OK guys its funny :D but I really need to know also.:eek:
:)

SmokinLowriderSS
02-11-2007, 03:33 PM
From the place in the "bell" on the stick where the top of the tube seats into, the "full" spot is 23 1/4" down the shaft. The "add 1 qt" spot is 24" down the shaff. :)

f_inscreenname
02-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Sorry for being late, was real busy the last couple days but better late then never.
Thank you very much.
:)

twowheeledfish
02-14-2007, 05:23 PM
My dipstick is real long too, but its bent and kinda rusty. :D
Anyone know where to find one for a 460 Ford?