PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat

Morg
07-02-2003, 05:05 PM
My green & yellow powder coated hardware should be back soon, When I get to that point, I want to gel coat the outside of the boat brown, The yellow powder coat is almost a tan so it should go good with the brown. Just got off the phone with billy he says "wish you were here" just finished gel coating his deal & highly recomends it. I'm thinking with all the repairs I need to do it should be easier than paint
Anyone else have some input??
Kid Morg.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Sell it and start over!! J/K :D :D :D

ssmike
07-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Get a Day Cruiser... :D :D :D

ssmike
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Morg:
Kid Morg. Morgy - Are you free tomorrow??? Work??? CFW is calling my name!!! smile_sp yuk smile_sp

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-02-2003, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ssmike:
Ya Mike, I got some input!! When are you gonna answer your P.M.s??!! burningm

64stevens
07-02-2003, 07:27 PM
I" lived in the S.F. bay area and found the prices to be way too expensive to gel coat but I have a painter here who is actually painting my v drive now. The painter has painted hundreds of boats including off-shore racers (he owns one) and hydro planes ect. let me know if you want his number (that is if you are willing to travel to the area?)

superdave013
07-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Morg, Here's the link to Havasu Barney's Gel Coat and fiberglass repair forum. barney's gel coat forum (http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?s=3f03a2fc09c0ffff;act=SF;f=44)
He's a good guy and makes his living doing gel coats. He'll help you anyway he can with good advice too.
Oh, his shops right next door to Revenge. I know you would like to go there and check that out!

Morg
07-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the response guy's, when I get closer I'll get a hold of you guy's again.
I don't know whats up with V-drive & ssmike, But it's not surprising, They keep telling me my color selection rocks. They say I should not listen to anyone who says "Where the hell did you come up with those colors, Your going to make everyone puke" -What's up with that??
ssmike, the nose will be to the grindstone tomorrow.
Maybe next weekend?? 12th or 13th??
Morg.

wsuwrhr
07-02-2003, 08:21 PM
You either misunderstood Billy B, or Billy B misunderstood me.
Anyway, Gel coating is tougher than paint, but nothing is ever free. It isn't easy. And you will learn the meaning of sand, sand, sand. but in the end it will last longer than paint.
If you want to ask any other questions you can PM me or call. 909-982-4068.
Havasu Barney seems to have light years experience
compared to mine, but I'll help you anyway I can.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-02-2003, 08:24 PM
I have done both, and I feel paint is easier. Hands down.
Brian

BILLY.B
07-03-2003, 05:26 AM
wsuwrhr:
Billy B misunderstood me
Brian What's ya talking about Brian? You told me that GEL-COAT was the way to go. Far superior in color selection and DEPTH in shine eek! , plus more durable and ease of labor eek! to obtain the finished product :D , and less on materials :rolleyes: . Isn't that what you said? I was just relaying the WORD'S of WISDOM to MORG :D

Morg
07-03-2003, 06:03 AM
BILLY.B:
wsuwrhr:
Billy B misunderstood me
Brian What's ya talking about Brian? You told me that GEL-COAT was the way to go. Far superior in color selection and DEPTH in shine eek! , plus more durable and ease of labor eek! to obtain the finished product :D , and less on materials :rolleyes: . Isn't that what you said? I was just relaying the WORD'S of WISDOM to MORG :D What's going on here, first you talk me into green & yellow for my hardware & brown for the boat color -which is starting to grow on me. Now this whole gel coat deal :confused: :confused: :confused:
Kid Morg.

LeE ss13
07-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Billy ...would you favor paint over gel coat for a Race Only boat? Especially a Circle Boat since we seem to 'swap paint' more than the drag guys. How about repair work? Which is easier to fix? I know my Jaime Jaimason (sp) paint job is in need of a replacement and I will be needing your services at the end of this season.(after Bayfair). If you will you be stopping bye Long Beach August 9th, look us up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308Long_Beach2-med.jpg

wsuwrhr
07-03-2003, 06:44 AM
BILLY.B:
wsuwrhr:
Billy B misunderstood me
Brian What's ya talking about Brian? You told me that GEL-COAT was the way to go. Far superior in color selection and DEPTH in shine eek! , plus more durable and ease of labor eek! to obtain the finished product :D , and less on materials :rolleyes: . Isn't that what you said? I was just relaying the WORD'S of WISDOM to MORG :D Not only did Billy grossly misunderstand me, but Alheimer's is setting in for him pretty early. Haha. I am guessing this thread is a joke, but maybe not.
For the record Gel is a pain in the ass. It is probably cheaper than paint. Although I don't remember the total cost for materials. I know good paint is damn expensive. I bought 5 gallons of resin and I don't remember being floored by the price.
You will be sanding buddy, and when you are tired you can rest, and then sand again.
Like I said, I'm sure there are guys here with more experience than I have, but I am just giving you my opinion.
I pretty sure I wouldn't gel a boat again. I think paint is the better way to go.
Just my .02
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Far superior in color selection and DEPTH in shine.
Now I know you are full of shit....laughs, that is nothing close to what I said. You are killing me.
Gel coat doesn't come in the trick colors like you buy in paint. You have to make the color by mixing different colors yourself. Color wheel applies here. Me not being an artist type, that had to be the hardest part for me.
Just thinking about it makes me want to sand the boat.
That is how Brian's Boat Shop got started. But that is another story.
Brian
Billy, get to work, you have way too much free time on your hands.
[ July 03, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Morg
07-03-2003, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wsuwrhr:
[QB] Far superior in color selection and DEPTH in shine.
Now I know you are full of shit....laughs, that is nothing close to what I said. You are killing me.
wsuwrhr,
Do you think Billy is messing with me on the color selection. That would not be cool at all, My aluminum should be back soon eek! eek!
Kid Morg.

Cole Man II
07-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Morg,
Sell it and buy some tires for your dirt bike.
Cole Man.

Sangster
07-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Morg..Word is Billy got a deal on 55 gals. of Brown lacquer.... :D :D :D
[ July 03, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Morg
07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Sangster:
Morg..Word is Billy got a deal on 55 gals. of Brown lacquer.... :D :D :D Word up Sangster,
Whats up with the avatar, Are you now Bizzaro Sangster??
Morg.

Sangster
07-03-2003, 02:36 PM
What the hell is a Bizarro... :confused:

Morg
07-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Sangster:
What the hell is a Bizarro... :confused: Bizzaro is the word for your opposite evil twin, Who lives in Bizzaro land. Black avatar.
Morg.
[ July 03, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Morg ]

Sangster
07-03-2003, 02:41 PM
you mean,I have no avatar....I like this one too..
http://www.supermansupersite.com/images/logo6.jpg
And this one's cool....
http://www.supermansupersite.com/death-s.gif
What the Hell, one more...
http://www.supermansupersite.com/wetlogo.jpg
[ July 03, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Kindsvater Flat
07-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Sangster:
Morg..Word is Billy got a deal on 55 gals. of Brown lacquer.... :D :D :D Hey my boat is brown lacquer.
Morg...You ready for a suprise avatar change again?

Morg
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
Sangster:
Morg..Word is Billy got a deal on 55 gals. of Brown lacquer.... :D :D :D Hey my boat is brown lacquer.
Morg...You ready for a suprise avatar change again? I like brown, never said anything bad about it.
I'm cool with the current avatar.
No need to get all bizzaro on me.
Morg.