PDA

View Full Version : Help On Choosing A New Head Unit...

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I am redoing the stereo system in the boat and I am wanting to replace the Clarion deck I am using.
The boat already has 2 holes (dash & swimstep) for the wired remote controls so obviously I need a deck that uses wired remotes.
I am a big Alpine person but the wired remotes kill that option. My Alpine (in the car) allows me to just plug my Ipod into a wire from the back of the deck which charges it sounds great and no BS from some FM modulator or...
I have been looking at the Pioneer and Sony only because of the remotes.
Here are the questions I have. I need a deck that...
1. Allows wired remotes (4 if possible).
2. Ipod "wired" connection.
3. XM Radio
4. Single CD player
Pioneer, Sony, or...

phebus
02-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I would go with Alpine. There is an adaptor available that allows you to use wired remotes (I am running an Alpine 9857, with three wired remotes), and meets all the other criteria you listed. You can get the adapter from Frank at Car Toyz in Havasu.
The Alpine 9857 is a great head unit, and allows full control over your iPod, XM, and CD.

WET HULL
02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I would go with the Alpine if you really want it. I just started stocking the new Interactive Technologies wireless remotes. They will mount in your steering hub and in any existing 2 1/8 existing hole. You can use up to eight of these and they work on a radio signal instead of infra read. They have a range of 150 feet. They also come with a waterproof floating key remote to keep in your pocket. Great for sitting on the beach or floating in a cove. They are adaptable with the new 2006 Alpine decks. Good luck. I will post pricing for these today and try to get you some pics.

phebus
02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
For wired remotes, you can use the Access Technologies/CPS Products type, and with Y cables, you can use as many as you like. I am running one at the helm, bow, and stern. Dana Marine makes a really nice billet bezel if you want to dress them up.
http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/i/Marine%20Audio/CPS_SRC1W.JPG
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage2_1366.gif

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I would go with the Alpine if you really want it. I just started stocking the new Interactive Technologies wireless remotes. They will mount in your steering hub and in any existing 2 1/8 existing hole. You can use up to eight of these and they work on a radio signal instead of infra read. They have a range of 150 feet. They also come with a waterproof floating key remote to keep in your pocket. Great for sitting on the beach or floating in a cove. They are adaptable with the new 2006 Alpine decks. Good luck. I will post pricing for these today and try to get you some pics.
So in other words... Why should I go anywhere else. You do the legwork for me and put together what I need and we'll hook up. I usually buy all of my Alpine stuff at Speaker Works, but I can change it up.
I have a a 9857 in my truck that I could use for the boat and upgrade the truck or...
I need two remotes, for sure but might use 3 or 4 if what I have in mind won't look too ghetto.
My boat has remote #1 in the dash by the guages. The #2 remote is on the transom for use while in the water, or more importantly when cleaning the outside of the boat.
I have on the 2 sides by the driver and passenger seats a 6 1/2" a 1 1/2" tweeter in the middle and a 5 1/4" to the front. I want to put 2 pierced 6 1/2"s on each side but what to do with the 1 3/4" tweeter hole in the fiberglass.
I have not been able to find a billet tweeter cover or nice looking tweeter so I would still be stuck with 2 holes. I can make billet plugs or covers but that might look lame.
I was thinking I could put a remote on each side for the driver and passenger in between the 6 1/2"s and then put a livorsi clock or something else to fill the remote hole in the dash.
Here is some pics but I am Hot Boat picture challenged...

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
For wired remotes, you can use the Access Technologies/CPS Products type, and with Y cables, you can use as many as you like. I am running one at the helm, bow, and stern. Dana Marine makes a really nice billet bezel if you want to dress them up.
http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/i/Marine%20Audio/CPS_SRC1W.JPG
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage2_1366.gif
Phebus,
With the remote adapter(s) you are talking about that will work with the Alpine head unit. Will they work with any wired remotes, such as the Pioneer ones or no?
I like the silver color of the Pioneer remotes and saw somebody does make a billet bezel for them. Then I would be able to match silver Livorsi guages and purple trim rings I have.

phebus
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
To be able to use the wired remotes, you need a modified PAC adapter (available from Car Toyz), that is then programmed to work with the remotes I have shown above. Whether or not you could program one of the Pioneer remotes, I don't know, but I guarntee you either Frank or JP at Car Toyz would. Give them a call in the morning 928 680-0203, and they will get you all set up.

Pussywhippled
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
To be able to use the wired remotes, you need a modified PAC adapter (available from Car Toyz), that is then programmed to work with the remotes I have shown above. Whether or not you could program one of the Pioneer remotes, I don't know, but I guarntee you either Frank or JP at Car Toyz would. Give them a call in the morning 928 680-0203, and they will get you all set up.
Ok, but what about my idea of putting a remote between the 2 6 1/2"s ?
Too ghetto or ?

phebus
02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Ok, but what about my idea of putting a remote between the 2 6 1/2"s ?
Too ghetto or ?
I think it would look just fine.

Mr. Naudio
02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
dito
stay with the alpine stay far away from the sony if you are going ipod use the wireless remotes and put them wherever you want

4day!!
02-12-2007, 03:38 PM
dito
stay with the alpine stay far away from the sony if you are going ipod use the wireless remotes and put them wherever you want
Frank, what problems are you seeing with sony?

WET HULL
02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Its not that there are problems, but speed and the user friendly side of things lead you to Alpine and then Pioneer. They have this dialed in. Also in big stereo applications hands down to Alpine and Pioneer in the performance dept. for their features and overall sound quality. I hope I am not hurting anyones feelings.:D

thmper321
02-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Not that it helps much now but Alpine is working on waterproof rf remotes that will mount anywhere on the boat without drilling holes as well as remotes you can carry on your person. We were testing remotes all last summer while at the river. Again not much help now but at least you can keep an eye out for them when they arrive.

Mr. Naudio
02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Frank, what problems are you seeing with sony?
most of the problems come into play when you try sat,ipod,and changer at the same time with them not all had problems but more than one or two is to many with our kind of guarantee

It's all Good
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
The Alpine CDA-9885 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9885) should be out soon. It looks like it has similar features to the CDA-9857 plus 4V preamp outputs. The manual shows that it will accept a wired remote.

boattunez
02-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Depending on where you're locating the head unit - 2 full-featured marine head units are Clarion CMD4A and new Sony CDX-HS70MW, both dbl-DIN units. I chose CMD4A for multi remotes, great iPod inteface box, and silver waterproof finish. I know lotsa guys run high-end car units (Alpine, Pioneer Premier, etc) but I wanted something weatherproof that might get wet - and both these 2 units can take direct soaking of faceplates! Hope this helps! Good Luck !
BTW - PW - what remotes are those you're running now? NICE !

LHC30Victory
02-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Hope I'm not jacking this thread, but what recommendations are there for head units that are easy to see the displays in direct sunlight and that are big enough for slowly failing eyesight????
Uh, my friend wanted to know :rolleyes:

phebus
02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Hope I'm not jacking this thread, but what recommendations are there for head units that are easy to see the displays in direct sunlight and that are big enough for slowly failing eyesight????
Not the Alpine. That's the only draw back I can find with the 9857.

mrs.rvrluvr
02-16-2007, 02:21 PM
dito
we had a sony it got hot and was difficult to figure out the settings. then the thing stoped working. Put in the alpine, no problems.

ROZ
02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Clarion CMD4

LHC30Victory
02-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks Roz, good to see ya back round these parts.....

It's all Good
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Not that it helps much now but Alpine is working on waterproof rf remotes that will mount anywhere on the boat without drilling holes as well as remotes you can carry on your person. We were testing remotes all last summer while at the river. Again not much help now but at least you can keep an eye out for them when they arrive.
It looks like Alpine did release the RF remote, RUE-M1RF (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=RUE-M1RF). It looks very similar to the Interactive Technologies remote.

shrek
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
If someone was going to go with an all Pioneer system........what is the head unit that you would recommend?
What does everyone think of Pioneer Speakers/Amps/etc.
I was going to put in JL or Kicker, but I am not sure that it is going to be worth the money.......
Shrek