PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer Help!!

tittyman
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
This computer is about 7 years old. Originally came with Windows ME...when the computer was a couple days old took it to a guy and had Windows 98 installed because some of my programs would not run on ME..had him segment the hard drive at the same time..shortly after that I started living with problems..I run out of memory..computer has 256 megs of ram. Half the time when I come to HB the avatars don't load and many of the photos that have been uploaded won't appear. I don't have a bunch of programs running in the background. How can I get these images to load all the time and not run out of memory?? Happens after I have been surfing the web..thanks

Singleton
02-11-2007, 10:53 AM
This computer is about 7 years old. Originally came with Windows ME...when the computer was a couple days old took it to a guy and had Windows 98 installed because some of my programs would not run on ME..had him segment the hard drive at the same time..shortly after that I started living with problems..I run out of memory..computer has 256 megs of ram. Half the time when I come to HB the avatars don't load and many of the photos that have been uploaded won't appear. I don't have a bunch of programs running in the background. How can I get these images to load all the time and not run out of memory?? Happens after I have been surfing the web..thanks
Delete your .tmp files and look at the history folder and delete all files that have not been used and you no longer want.
Also you might want to re-intall Window 98 and remove the segements, since you don't need the computer to have 2 operating systems running on it.

hotlavey
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Increase your ram. 256 is very low.

KineticoH20
02-11-2007, 10:56 AM
256 mb of ram:eek: ok step away from the computer, go to computer store, buy new rig:D probably less than 700 for a nice setup, you can get same as cash at most places for u to 2 years. My comp has 2 gigs of ram:)

tittyman
02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't have 2 operating systems on it...the ME was completly deleted and then 98 was installed...I always clean out my .tmp file on a regular basis..

tittyman
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
How do I set my temp file to only handle 50 megs...I check it all the time and there is usually not much there..

tittyman
02-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Just checked my temp file..it only has 450mb of files...not sure that setting the temp file to 50 will help..

RaceFace
02-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Update your Java Virtual machine. Memory would definately be a plus....or the best option yet is to pickup a Dell for $400 with XP.
Here's the link to the Java update. Good luck!
http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

cxr133
02-11-2007, 11:12 AM
set your temp internet files to only store 50 MB or so. Anymore is useless and wastes space.
And update your PC to at least win2k. sheesh ;) That old machine will handle it and do fine with 256 memory.
yeah but alot of website i beleive load faster/better w/ more memory.
RAM is not that expensive you should probably add a 1gb. stick for like 79.00 and i think that might help your page loading problems.

centerhill condor
02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
a 7 year old computer is similar to a 40 year old airplane. 98 is a good program but for a few hundred bucks you can have a laptop with more performance and XP.
I went through the same thing a few years back. I had a 300 mhz machine and upgraded to 2.4ghz and had to wear a scarf and goggles for 3 months until I became accustomed to the better machine.

HotDogz
02-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Download Cleanup! from here (http://www.stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp452.exe)
Will clean all garbage from all profiles at once.
Plus you do need more ram. Todays software contains alot more instruction code to be processed. Ram is the biggest bang for your buck.
If it came with WinME, it can run Win2000 which you would be better off with performance wise.

OCMerrill
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I would waive the white flag and get something else.
I have been down the resurrect, restore, add memory, yada yada.
Don't do it. Get a new one.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
yeah but alot of website i beleive load faster/better w/ more memory.
RAM is not that expensive you should probably add a 1gb. stick for like 79.00 and i think that might help your page loading problems.
The odds are that machine uses PC100 SDRAM, better check the price if you think it's cheap. It's basically out of production, and damned expensive. No way in the world are you going to find a 1G stick of PC100.
A 512 stick of Corsair brand is the biggest Tiger Direct has, $103 each.
Windows 98 does such a lousy job of RAM addressing that 256Megs is about all it can make any kind of use of. Any more is wasted money.
Upgrade the machine, to Win2000 Pro (then add the 512 stick), or get a machine running XP (which ius still a vastly imperfect system).
3 machines here run flawlessly on Win2k. They actually blue-screen LESS than my HP WinXP laptop.

RaceFace
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah, after you've paid for Win2K and memory, you're more than half way to a new system. I don't think there is "cost effectiveness" on a 7 year old system considering the shelf life of a brand new system is around 4 months. Just food for thought.