PDA

View Full Version : prop strut bearing

stump
11-02-2002, 01:32 PM
what type of prop strut bearing is best to use when replacment is needed.i noticed aqualube and another one in the glen L catalog ,what type is better?thanks

Kindsvater Flat
11-02-2002, 02:47 PM
I run the fiber one. Have yet to have a problem. Call either Tom at Menkins or Rex Marine. They have them.

Sked
11-02-2002, 08:12 PM
I have 4 different types available; Plain Fiber Phenolic (Aqualube type), Graphite Impregnated Fiber Phenolic, Rubber W/ brass outer sleeve (Morse style), and Plastic (Igus and Compac Thordon).
I've used all of them personally and offer the following observations. Rubber w/ brass outer sleeve for around $45.00 is OK for typical large inboard boats with relatively slow prop shaft speeds but I don't recommend them for performance boats turning high RPM shaft speeds. The plastic ones claim reduced friction and added Rpm's although I never saw it, but are expensive at $60.00 a pair. They are so slippery that they tend to come out of the strut barrel thus requiring a lot of extra effort installing them to make sure they stay put. The Graphite Impregnated Fiber Phenolic ones at $14.50 are about the same as the Plain Fiber Phenolic and I never got any less friction, wear or extra life out of them to justify even the minor difference in price over the plain ones. After trying them all I find the Plain Fiber Phenolic (Aqualube type) are the best bet for a performance application and they are also the cheapest at $10.50. You should always have a spare on the shelf. As a note, make sure you're not spinning the prop shaft when trailer running the engine as this tends to really cook any type of strut bearings.

GofastRacer
11-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Use the plain ole fiber one!, just don't run it DRY!!!...... :cool:

VD CRUISER
11-03-2002, 07:41 AM
JSSK88,
what is the problem with using the brass/rubber bushing with high shaft speeds ? Thats what I have in my 21' cruiser and I turn the motor 6200-6400 rpm with 48% gears. Does the rubber have more drag perhaps. They have lasted 4 yrs. Do you think they absorb more of the vibrations from my 2 blade than a phenolic one? Do you have the phenolic one's with 1 3/8 od for a 1" shaft?

11-03-2002, 08:50 AM
VD CRUISER:
JSSK88,
what is the problem with using the brass/rubber bushing with high shaft speeds ? Thats what I have in my 21' cruiser and I turn the motor 6200-6400 rpm with 48% gears. Does the rubber have more drag perhaps. They have lasted 4 yrs. Do you think they absorb more of the vibrations from my 2 blade than a phenolic one? Do you have the phenolic one's with 1 3/8 od for a 1" shaft?As I understand it the brass/rubber bushing is for water with high silt content. The rubber is suppose to 'absorb' the fine silt particles minimizing shaft wear. Use the fiber bushing for clear water.

Sked
11-03-2002, 08:15 PM
VD CRUISER:
JSSK88,
what is the problem with using the brass/rubber bushing with high shaft speeds ? Thats what I have in my 21' cruiser and I turn the motor 6200-6400 rpm with 48% gears. Does the rubber have more drag perhaps. They have lasted 4 yrs. Do you think they absorb more of the vibrations from my 2 blade than a phenolic one? Do you have the phenolic one's with 1 3/8 od for a 1" shaft?I found the rubber bearings fit too tight to the shaft after they are installed creating a lot of friction, so much so that you could not hand spin the prop shaft. The boats we tried using them on experience a lot of "air" time when running. Even though clearance was added to the bearing after installation as we would with fiber bearings, we would still get rubber transferring to the shaft. The fiber bearing, being a much harder material did not have this problem and also have less friction. I should say though that my observations stem from a hard core racing point of view more so than from pleasure boat experience. In a cruiser application where the strut is constantly submerged this may not be a concern.
In any case I do stock the four types I mentioned previously and I will sell the customer whichever one they prefer. I do have 1 3/8" OD X 1" ID Phenolic Bearings on the shelf plus many other sizes as we supply both Inboard Runabout and Hydroplane customers.

stump
11-13-2002, 04:26 AM
My prop strut bearing is worn out and i'm going to replace it.It has 1/8th inch play in it
Other than vibration what can a worn bearing cause the boat to do.Can it cause the boat to not handle correctly? Bounce? Etc.My mandella seems to bounce some. the 11 1/2 x 15 2 blade prop and an adjustment on plates has helped quite a bit, but i still get it when i jab on the gas. I set he plates level with the bottom of hull when handle was forward.Boat has a very slight V in bottom would bringing down the edges of the plates help any?any suggestions will be appreciated ,thanks stump

Sangster
11-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Be sure & check the shaft for wear......