PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust..Wet or Dry? And mufflers for my 4 inch collectors.

WVspeedfreak
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Here it is. When I bought my boat , the fellow who built the boat had the exhaust to be set up to be run wet, or dry. He has a valve in the line that feeds the rewarders, that he told me he never turned on, and to just run the exhaust dry. He said the cam was a bit too large , and that I could bend valves if I ran it wet. I understand all of that, and how the moisture could end up being sucked back across a valve at low RPM, but at what size cam can you no longer run it wet?? Would a wider lobe seperation help?? Even with a large cam, can I run one of those electronic boxes that turn the water on to the headers at a certain RPM. Will one of those boxes work with a vertex Mag. How much quieter will the boat actually be with wet exhaust?? I love it loud...The louder the better, but the local game warden who patrols the river already has it out for me, and he hasn't even seen my latest edition to my quest for more speed. Also what would be a good set of slip in type of mufflers to buy, that wont have a lot of restriction, but will take the edge off of the noise this monster of a motor my boat has???
Mike

flattie
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I will take a stab at the second question. I have done alot of testing of mufflers and can barley see a 1 decible drop with water. just pick up a set of bassett race mufflers there about $100. thats about our best pick muffler with out sacraficeing power loss

watergun4u
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
this is what i did and have not had a problem since,, just buy a set of basset baffles, new, or used, then cut them in half, and put half in each header, they bolt in with one bolt,in each header, it will quit it down alittle, but you will lose very little hp,and it will still be somewhat load, but i dont think you will be bothered anymore for lake patrol, and as far as you water problem, if there is a valve in the boat to adjust the water flow to headers, you will have now problem using it, AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER TO SHUT IT OFF AT LOW RPM'S, AND WHEN YOU COME TO A STOP, CAUSE IF YOU DONT SHUT IT OFF WHILE IDLING, YOU WILL FILL YOUR MOTOR WITH WATER.So as long as you turn it on after you plan out, and turn it off when you slow down or stop , you will have no problems, i run my boat like that, and have been running it like that for a number of years and never had a problem! and i was running about 525hp, if you have anyother questions, ask!

BUSADREAMER
02-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Bassett makes a t-valve for that, do they work or not????:confused:

DaveA
02-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm running the GGB slip in silencers in my Bassett headers. All stainless, nice pieces, and they cut the racket a bit, but $$$. The Banderlog valve is installed but I haven't hooked up the 12v to it yet. If it can get a signal from the Vertex re: counting rpm, then it should work...you can set it at either 1500 or 2000 rpm cut on, and I think it shuts off (or you can wire it to shut off) at or above 5000 rpm...I'd have to look. I have similar problems with noise here- too many full time residents on this lake that think it should be Golden Pond or something that they can take their redwood canoe out on for a quiet Saturday afternoon cruise. Yea...right...better hold on tight...:D

Carnivalride
02-16-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm running the GGB slip in silencers in my Bassett headers. All stainless, nice pieces, and they cut the racket a bit, but $$$. .
Dave what do they do to your performance? Did you lose any rpm, top end, acceleration or did you ever run before and after?
Thanks,
Loren

tittyman
02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Where is the cheapest place to buy bassett mufflers....can you just purchase one..buy cutting them in half is the noise level about the same as without cutting them in half...I have BBC with bassetts with the bell on the end..any problem with just cutting about 12 inches off..

tittyman
02-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Need some help on the previous post..thanks..

DaveA
02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Dave what do they do to your performance? Did you lose any rpm, top end, acceleration or did you ever run before and after?
Thanks,
Loren
Hey Loren,
Got snow? :jawdrop:
Remember, I used to live there...:D
I didn't notice anything much about the performance level etc simply because the 454 is a mild build with just a lumpy cam and 750 Speed Demon and Lg oval ports. So it ain't too fast as it is, and all I was interested in was lowering the dB's a few. Once I get around to doing a proper tuneup/dial-in on this thing, I'll be interested in what happens with them in/out. I'll be even more interested in what happens with the Banderlog valve operable.
I did try to get to GGB's website, but it's not up. Do a Google on GGB Exhaust Technologies in Canada and see what pops up.
DaveA

Tahiti350
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Banderlog valve has provisions to hook up a full throttle switch that cuts the water for a pre-determined time (I think 13 seconds but could be wrong) then you nail it to the throttle stop. They sell a switch kit with all the required parts to install this.

Saab
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Just cruising a lil bit and came across this. Super clean way to run a wet system. When i get my boat im gonna look at getting this.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2566

DaveA
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Just cruising a lil bit and came across this. Super clean way to run a wet system. When i get my boat im gonna look at getting this.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2566
Yup, that's the Banderlog- with the Rewarder name on it, it appears.

Carnivalride
02-19-2007, 04:09 AM
Hey Loren,
Got snow? :jawdrop:
Remember, I used to live there...:D
I didn't notice anything much about the performance level etc simply because the 454 is a mild build with just a lumpy cam and 750 Speed Demon and Lg oval ports. So it ain't too fast as it is, and all I was interested in was lowering the dB's a few. Once I get around to doing a proper tuneup/dial-in on this thing, I'll be interested in what happens with them in/out. I'll be even more interested in what happens with the Banderlog valve operable.
I did try to get to GGB's website, but it's not up. Do a Google on GGB Exhaust Technologies in Canada and see what pops up.
DaveA
Dave,
Snows about gone but it has been cold, we got spoiled with some pretty mild winters the last several years. They changed our boating laws here to require that you meet 86db so my open headers aren't going to get buy. The baffles I have just kill performance so that's why I was asking. I'll look up your GGB but I was wondering what you thought.
Loren