PDA

View Full Version : Kicked off Perris and Elsinore...now looking for baffles.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 07:31 AM
anyone have a used set for sale?

PipesClean
09-14-2003, 09:53 AM
How much did that cost ya? :D

PipesClean
09-14-2003, 09:53 AM
How much did that cost ya? :D

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 10:23 AM
actually nothing. We told them we had just got the boat and didnt know about it (actually we have had it for 6 years) :)

superdave013
09-14-2003, 11:20 AM
I have an old set I'll sell for 50 bucks. But I'll tell you now that they suck. Big horsepower robbers.

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Got a welder? Build a set of falsies. I have a set that look really restrictive and quiet but they are far from it.

superdave013
09-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Or maybe just go to Basset and buy a set. They work good, won't slow ya down and are cheeper then one ticket.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 11:55 AM
SuperDave: which are the ones you have? are they really that bad? I have never heard a boat with baffles in the headers and I am hoping they dont suck too much power. :(
Kindsvater: you made the falsies? any pics? that is a good idea, cause both times all they did was ask...and look. If we would of said "yes" and then they looked and saw something in there I have a feeling we would of been fine.

Cs19
09-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Take those baffels and cut them into thirds, then install them like you normally would. The cops will never know they have been cut down. Those baffels are junk and kill performance BIG TIME...get the ones bassett has if you can, the crappy ones look like an x when you look down the header.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 01:36 PM
cs19:
Take those baffels and cut them into thirds, then install them like you normally would. The cops will never know they have been cut down. Those baffels are junk and kill performance BIG TIME...get the ones bassett has if you can, the crappy ones look like an x when you look down the header. Is that how you are running them?
Does anyone else have problems at Elsinore or Perris? We actually got caught at Perris and then before even entering Elsinore they checked us for them.
When you say cut them down...do you mean just so it is a visible from the back? instead of being --- make it - ? just so when they look in they see it?

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Part No.: 410-284400 Category: Exhaust Systems & Accessories-Mufflers & Silencers-Inline Silencers
Economy Mini-Silencer
Description: 4" Mini Silencers. These units have only one set of baffles inside. They are 100% stainless steel construction, and fit inside S.S. tips or collectors. They are only 4-1/2" long. The amount of noise reduction out of these is very minimal. Perfect for the person needing to pass visual inspections. Sold in pairs.
List Price: $99.95
Your Price: $79.95
You Save: $20.00
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/421/421-M69.jpg
Mine are similar but just have a flat piece that has a 2" hole in the middle and a ring of 5/8 holes around it. Pretty simple to use auger flight also
[ September 14, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

mickeyfinn
09-14-2003, 01:38 PM
We just use soup cans. Paint em black cut most of the bottoms out and bolt em in. Leave enough for the LE guys to feel something if they decide to stick the ole billy club inside. Have to replace them 2 or 3 times a year but they work.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Kindsvater: are they power killers? or still pretty good?
Mickey finn I like your idea :) might try it.
So you take a soup can with the top off of course, then cut a " hole in the bottom and paint the thing black? do you screw it in also? would that really fool them?

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Those so called baffles will not rob any power.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
Those so called baffles will not rob any power. Thanks for finding them for me. This sounds too good to be true. Do you think it would pass an inspection? I dont think they do DB tests or anything, do you know?

Itsahobby
09-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Ok guys, how do you know if your boat is too
loud?
I am running Imco exhaust manifolds straight out.
It's pretty loud at idle. But mellows as the rpm
go up.
Hobby

Itsahobby
09-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Ok guys, how do you know if your boat is too
loud?
I am running Imco exhaust manifolds straight out.
It's pretty loud at idle. But mellows as the rpm
go up.
Hobby

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-14-2003, 04:26 PM
I've been running at Paris, Elsinore and Puddingstone since 94' with basset headers, mufflers and water injection. I know I'm due to be pulled over but (knock on glass over wood) it hasn't happened yet. I've been inspected on the ramp by the coastguard crack squad and passed with flying colors. On the flip side,,, my dad runs mufflered wet logs in his flatty and he's been hasselled several times. :confused: I've heard the best trick is to take 1 basset muffler and cut it in half making 2. If I could get mine out I might try it. :cool:

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 06:03 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
I've been running at Paris, Elsinore and Puddingstone since 94' with basset headers, mufflers and water injection. I know I'm due to be pulled over but (knock on glass over wood) it hasn't happened yet. I've been inspected on the ramp by the coastguard crack squad and passed with flying colors. On the flip side,,, my dad runs mufflered wet logs in his flatty and he's been hasselled several times. :confused: I've heard the best trick is to take 1 basset muffler and cut it in half making 2. If I could get mine out I might try it. :cool: So you dont have nothing to worry about. How does yours sound with mufflers? I am afraid it will sound raspy.
I am REALLY interested in the ones Kindsvater posted and need to buy something by tommorrow so I can have it here and installed by this coming weekend...planning another trip, since I have full tanks.
If I am going to do it, I want to do it so I dont lose a bunch of power or sound raspy and want to be able to say "yes I have baffles" and when they do their inspection pass.
the best of all worlds...what do you guys think I should go with?
:)

FlatStupid
09-14-2003, 06:10 PM
You gotta love this crowd. 10,000 dollar motors and they are welding on soup cans. :D :D :D Buy the Bassets I dont think they do shiatt about the noise but they seem to keep the goons happy wink

cyclone
09-14-2003, 08:05 PM
all i know is that that the last time I went to Elsinore without baffles, it cost me 160 bucks for the fine. My baffles are cut in half and they still make the engine run like crap so i dont put them in unless i have to.

Napanutt
09-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Baffles do actually help as far as the noise factor is concerned...spent the last week at Shasta,brought mine just in case,put them in when I realized I wasn't racing anyone (like it really mattered with my POS ),and the wife and I could actually talk to each other AND hear what we were saying;big difference with the close up noise and couldn't tell one bit of difference as far as power was concerned...JMO...

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 08:29 PM
cyclone:
all i know is that that the last time I went to Elsinore without baffles, it cost me 160 bucks for the fine. My baffles are cut in half and they still make the engine run like crap so i dont put them in unless i have to. That is the exact amount they told us they would fine us if we put the boat in the water.
What shall I do? baffles? soup cans? :)

cyclone
09-14-2003, 08:32 PM
i've since cut a pair of 2-inch long, 4-inch diameter pieces of stainless steel tubing and bolted them into the headers. from the sides and back it looks like there are baffles in the pipes. I did this because no amount of baffling really quiets down my pipes because there's no water running through them. Now at least i look fairly legal even if i'm really not.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 08:43 PM
cyclone:
i've since cut a pair of 2-inch long, 4-inch diameter pieces of stainless steel tubing and bolted them into the headers. from the sides and back it looks like there are baffles in the pipes. I did this because no amount of baffling really quiets down my pipes because there's no water running through them. Now at least i look fairly legal even if i'm really not. have you been checked since?

superdave013
09-14-2003, 09:04 PM
dmontzsta, Man, I ran those Bassett lovered style mufflers in my blown engine and I really didn't notice much if any loss. Still sounded ok but was much quiter. I bet if you just bought a set you would never take them back out again.
I will say if I was a cop and stopped you for not having them I might let you slide (once) if you said you didn't know better. But if you said "hey man, I have some in my truck and I'll put them in now". I would take that as an insult and I'ed give you a ticket for that and every other thing I could think of. Then I'ed kick your ass off the lake again.
Just a few things to think about.
super (been kicked off a few lakes too) dave013

cyclone
09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
dmontzsta:
cyclone:
i've since cut a pair of 2-inch long, 4-inch diameter pieces of stainless steel tubing and bolted them into the headers. from the sides and back it looks like there are baffles in the pipes. I did this because no amount of baffling really quiets down my pipes because there's no water running through them. Now at least i look fairly legal even if i'm really not. have you been checked since? i've only been back to Elsinore once since and didn't get stopped. But that could have been dumb luck. But then again, while parked in Coors Cove the lake po'po cruised through and looked right at the transom of my boat and didn't stop to question me.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 09:29 PM
superdave013:
dmontzsta, Man, I ran those Bassett lovered style mufflers in my blown engine and I really didn't notice much if any loss. Still sounded ok but was much quiter. I bet if you just bought a set you would never take them back out again.
I will say if I was a cop and stopped you for not having them I might let you slide (once) if you said you didn't know better. But if you said "hey man, I have some in my truck and I'll put them in now". I would take that as an insult and I'ed give you a ticket for that and every other thing I could think of. Then I'ed kick your ass off the lake again.
super (been kicked off a few lakes too) dave013 I have an old set I'll sell for 50 bucks. But I'll tell you now that they suck. Big horsepower robbers.
are those the ones?

superdave013
09-14-2003, 09:36 PM
dmontzsta:
superdave013:
super (been kicked off a few lakes too) dave013 I have an old set I'll sell for 50 bucks. But I'll tell you now that they suck. Big horsepower robbers.
are those the ones? No, those are the ones that sucked so I replaced them with a set I bought from Basset. And that set is not for sale. :) I paid around 125 bucks for them over 10 years ago.

dmontzsta
09-14-2003, 09:40 PM
superdave013:
dmontzsta:
superdave013:
are those the ones? No, those are the ones that sucked so I replaced them with a set I bought from Basset. And that set is not for sale. :) I paid around 125 bucks for them over 10 years ago. Thats cool. So the Bassett's are pretty damn nice then eh? They should fit rewarders the same right? I have a set of rewarders on now and a set of Bassetts in the backyard I might have jet coated soon.

Lookin for Liquid
09-15-2003, 05:24 AM
Dmonzsta...Sent you an E Mail regarding louvered mufflers.

dmontzsta
09-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Lookin for Liquid:
Dmonzsta...Sent you an E Mail regarding louvered mufflers. hmmm...I have not received it yet.

Lookin for Liquid
09-15-2003, 07:00 AM
E Mail me with your current address
Thanks

dmontzsta
09-15-2003, 09:15 AM
right now I am really leaning towards the bassetts that superdave has, I take his word since he is from Anaheim :) I just hope I am not kicking myself running them. I need all the power I can get out of this FE. :cool:

565edge
09-15-2003, 09:21 AM
I have a set of bassetts i will sell for$50 plus shipping,let me know

dmontzsta
09-15-2003, 09:48 AM
does anyone have anymore info before I make a move?
will I be dissappointed with the bassetts?
should I go with the small ones Kindsvater posted?

ssmike
09-15-2003, 09:54 AM
dmontzsta:
does anyone have anymore info before I make a move?
will I be dissappointed with the bassetts?
should I go with the small ones Kindsvater posted? I am a fan of the ones that K-Flat posted... http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images/069.jpg
Check it out:
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/exhuast.html
They are 4 inch.....A necessity for guys like me who cut down headers :D
And, if you buy them from Imco in LaVerne, they are only $27 each - Brand New!!!
[ September 15, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: ssmike ]

dmontzsta
09-15-2003, 10:05 AM
how restrictive are they compared to the bassett's?
also in sound?

ssmike
09-15-2003, 10:09 AM
dmontzsta:
how restrictive are they compared to the bassett's?
also in sound? Less restrictive, block less sound...IMO.
As stated in the CP Performance AD that K Flat posted, these are to pass a visual inspection.
Besides, the Imco folks are cool and a short drive from you...

dmontzsta
09-15-2003, 10:24 AM
is that all we need to do in Cali is pass the visual? what are the chances of them pulling out a DB meter or some other device? I really like the way the headers are now, but just want to get on the lakes with no problems.