PDA

View Full Version : Header gaskets, has anyone tried these??

superdave013
01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
I just picked these puppys up for my turbo engine. Has anyone else tried them?
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/exhaust_gaskets.JPG

DUCKY
01-28-2003, 12:15 PM
My Dad uses them and has had great luck. They are re-useable and nearly bulletproof.

Infomaniac
01-28-2003, 02:17 PM
I used some on a blown small block with zoomies. They leaked pretty bad. Could have been the quality of zoomie and or too much pressure from having a Harley drag pipe baffle in each pipe.

superdave013
01-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Infomaniac:
I used some on a blown small block with zoomies. They leaked pretty bad. Could have been the quality of zoomie and or too much pressure from having a Harley drag pipe baffle in each pipe. That's what I'm afraid of. The header flanges look better then any of the bassetts or rewarders that I've had. But there will be shit loads of back pressure with those turbos.
[ January 28, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Infomaniac
01-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Ultra Copper Exhaust gaskets are the best I have ever used. It has been quite a while. I think the were Mr Gasket. They kind of melt onto the head and header.
[ January 28, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Clown
01-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Make your own "OR" Buy a set off of Unchained!
I plan on using only silicone. But again I made my own headers AND used Half Inch Stainless for the Flanges, If they leak"Witch they won't" I will machine an O'ring in the flange and put in a copper wire .

Hustler
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
What headers are you using? When I used those gaskets they leaked, but then again my exhaust was the real problem

Rexone
01-28-2003, 04:45 PM
We've had them for a couple years now and are having excellent results. Ours are made by SCE. Have in stock for all popular marine engines if you need.
Here's a link: SCE Pro Copper Exhaust Gaskets (http://www.rexmar.com/page229.html)
[ January 28, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Unchained
01-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Those gaskets look like a good idea. Where did you get them from?
On turbo exhaust back pressure I was told that the standard of efficiency is when you can make more pressure in the intake then what you have in the exhaust.

gnarley
01-28-2003, 04:53 PM
I tried to use them & they hit my head bolts & made it real difficult to thread the header bolts in then misaligned the ports & leaked.
I like two machined surfaces without gaskets on the exhaust if possible but with the turbos & back pressure what would work best? Are the exh flanges beefy enough to stay torqued without bending & then allowing a leak?
For years it seemed like Chevrolet didn't use gaskets on the exhaust manifolds & they didn't leak.

Clown
01-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Unchained:
On turbo exhaust back pressure I was told that the standard of efficiency is when you can make more pressure in the intake then what you have in the exhaust. Mark Call Me The place is like: Down the street from a buddy's welding shop.

wsm9808
01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
I havent tried the copper ones yet, but I've used the "Dead Soft Aluminum" header gaskets on several engines and love them. The header sinks into them as you tighten the bolts and once you get them tight and compressed, they stay there. I've tried to retighten the header bolts a few times, but they dont move. very good IMHO.

superdave013
01-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Unchained:
On turbo exhaust back pressure I was told that the standard of efficiency is when you can make more pressure in the intake then what you have in the exhaust. I got them form Orange County Speed. They were out of the ones I really wanted. Some fancy jobs made by Earls. You should check those out too. The are steel with some other goodies and a center section that looks like it would seal real good.
But these looked like they would be worth a shot so I got 'em.
Hustler, the headers are CMI and they have 3/8" S.S. flanges with lil rasied doughnuts like things where the tubes are.

Rexone
01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
superdave013:
the headers are CMI and they have 3/8" S.S. flanges with lil rasied doughnuts like things where the tubes are. Those doughnuts are called cool collars and their purpose is to supply adequate water around the flange area of the tube to pull the heat out of it so the tubes don't crack near the flange (a problem with some older CMI's). Just didn't want anyone to get em confused with the Boatcop glazed variety. :D

superdave013
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Rexone:
superdave013:
the headers are CMI and they have 3/8" S.S. flanges with lil rasied doughnuts like things where the tubes are. Those doughnuts are called cool collars and their purpose is to supply adequate water around the flange area of the tube to pull the heat out of it so the tubes don't crack near the flange (a problem with some older CMI's). Just didn't want anyone to get em confused with the Boatcop glazed variety. :D No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the inside of the flanges. I'll get some pics of them.
Hey, do you have gaskets for the split tops?? Or should I just go direct to CMI.

superdave013
01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Here is some pics of the flanges.
It looks like this and the raised copper gasket should seal up ok. I hope so at least.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/header_flange.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/exhaust_gaskets1.JPG
Over all pic of the header just for grins.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/header_flange1.JPG
And a pic of the top flange that I need gaskets for.
I guess I'll give CMI a ring for them.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/header_top_flange.JPG

Rexone
01-29-2003, 04:24 PM
As long as the raised portion of the copper gasket matches the raised bead on the flange you should be fine. Those raised beads are designed to "crush" into a standard type gasket thus creating a seal. They've been used for years in automotive.
SD I can order those tube top gaskets for you from CMI if you like (not real common any more). Just let me know. :)

Unchained
01-29-2003, 05:22 PM
That CMI header looks like a well made unit.
Are you going to run them dry?
It should be an interesting looking piece to make the transition to the turbine flange.
Those tubes are spaced apart a bit. idea

HOSS
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
My experience with copper gaskets are that they periodically have to be re-tightened every so often. Due to vibration and the gasket being so maleable (word perfect on that one).

Havasu Hangin'
01-29-2003, 08:26 PM
HOSS:
My experience with copper gaskets are that they periodically have to be re-tightened every so often. Due to vibration and the gasket being so maleable (word perfect on that one). So they have to be re-tightened periodically and every so often?
Gotta love those dictionary racers! They never learn!

565edge
01-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Thats what i use,i have had great success with em,i used to have my header bolts back out but not now,we even put them in my dads motorhome and eliminated his problems.

77charger
01-29-2003, 09:09 PM
i have tried them with headers on my suburban headers had a smoothe 3/8 flange still leaked right away i pulled them off and it looks like the area around the bolts was the only part squished.IMO they sucked!!
I went back to exhaust manifolds a short time later too.

beached 1
01-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Havasu Hangin':
HOSS:
My experience with copper gaskets are that they periodically have to be re-tightened every so often. Due to vibration and the gasket being so maleable (word perfect on that one). So they have to be re-tightened periodically and every so often?
Gotta love those dictionary racers! They never learn! :D :D :D

HOSS
01-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Wow, just read it and never noticed what I typed. Never claimed to type very well much less use correct grammar! Its kinda ah ah ah country type grammar. Yeah, yeah, country grammar. Thats it.
I`ve actually used Shim Stock before. Don`t know how long it lasted because the boat left the country. Oh yeah, that`s stainless. Very thin.
Got me on that one HH. Clean kill.
But I`ll be back.
Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!
[ January 30, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Nstigator74
01-30-2003, 05:30 PM
I bought a set of corvette BBC headers from Sanderson a few years ago and they recommend NO GASKET, just a light coat of black RTV. Since then I've installed every header that way with a perfect track record, no leaks and no bolts backing out.

schiada96
01-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Unchained I've got Dave's transitions covered. I just need to know how tall and what else he needs on them.