PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a diesel pusher RV?

wright27
02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I sold my 5th wheel and I am buying a smaller tow along. Eventually I want to buy a deisel pusher motorhome. How much will they tow? I see some guys towing some big trailers with them. I want to go with about a 26 ft toy hauler, but was wondering if that might be to heavy loaded with water and 7 bikes.
Anyone got any answers?

NdaWind
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Most current DP's are able to get 10k but make sure you check before you buy especially if it is a few years old. If your pulling a 26' trailer your going to need a very short DP to stay under CA's 65' total length limit.

CampbellCarl
02-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Have towed my 30' enclosed (non toy hauler) with 7 Harley's to and from Laughlin behind my 35' DP M/H. Older Cat 250 hp (pretty slow on the hills!) I figured the loaded trailer at 7500 lbs and 26,500 for the m/h. No problems (other than slow but what the hell, I'm on vacation!). Make sure you add the trailer brake controller. It took me little while to find the switched brake light wire on a full air brake system. Good luck. Are you towing a toy hauler for extra sleeping? Seems like a lot of duplication (two kitchens, two bathrooms etc.)
Carl

wright27
02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Have towed my 30' enclosed (non toy hauler) with 7 Harley's to and from Laughlin behind my 35' DP M/H. Older Cat 250 hp (pretty slow on the hills!) I figured the loaded trailer at 7500 lbs and 26,500 for the m/h. No problems (other than slow but what the hell, I'm on vacation!). Make sure you add the trailer brake controller. It took me little while to find the switched brake light wire on a full air brake system. Good luck. Are you towing a toy hauler for extra sleeping? Seems like a lot of duplication (two kitchens, two bathrooms etc.)
Carl
We have 4 kids who like to bring friends to the desert for riding. So the extra water, toilet, shower, not to mention the kids in the trailer and me and the wife in a nice quiet m/h. We had a 35 ft 5th wheeler toy hauler,but I want to be able to tow the boat in the summer months and do some more camping at different places.