PDA

View Full Version : Employees are funny....

HM
02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
We have an hourly employee ($12) who comes in and does a bunch of odds and ends. She is not very dependable, but when she shows up atleast she does crappy work (sarcasm). The work she does is not really worth more than what we are paying her - light filing, copying, keeping marketing material stocked, and a few other odds and ends.
Well, she has been wanting a raise for a while, but she calls in sick almost every monday, and many times tuesday. Well, her argument is, if we pay her more money, she will work harder and be more dependable....LOL!!! She also says that not having a job title is very "stressful" to her. I see, instead of working for a raise and prove you are worth it, attempt to hold your employer hostage by doing crappy work unless you get a raise. I wonder how our clients would respond to that kind of reasoning? LOL And not having a title is stressful? C'mon!
vent over. :D

RitcheyRch
02-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I think my gf works with one of her family members. :D

Ziggy
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
The generational ideology these days are to get:
paid so they might perform vs. the old fashioned way of perform for pay(aka earning it).
For some reason we owe them. :idea: :confused:
Yeah, I don't get it either.:(

Tahiti350
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Where are you located, Looking for a job like that for my wife, and sounds like she'd be a much better employee....

Kilrtoy
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
damn Public sector, Government employees would never do that:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
LOL, can't wait for Sportin' Wood to see this thread.

HM
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
The generational ideology these days are to get:
paid so they might perform vs. the old fashioned way of perform for pay(aka earning it).
For some reason we owe them. :idea: :confused:
Yeah, I don't get it either.:(
Our best employees have always been older. My best employee was 62 years old and she was always concerned about me paying myself enough - she ended up starting her own bookkeeping business, but she still does our books. We are in the middle of hiring an executive assistant, and the two front runners are over 60 years old and they are excited about our business and would love to be part of blossoming company.
I personally think the young work force is in for a very rude awakening. We have a lot of baby boomers who should be retiring, but can't because they didn't save enough, didn't account for inflation, and didn't realize they were going to live to be well over 80. The baby boomer generation doesn't need a lot of income, so they will come in and take the $20K - $80K jobs away from the younger generation like taking candy from a baby...and do the work of 3-4 people and do it on a part time basis.

blown65
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
We have quite a few of those here. One calls in sick at least once if not twice a week. (4 months of work, and only worked 3 complete 5 day work weeks)
Then raise time comes around and they wonder why their raise is so small. I guess they just don't understand job performance.
What really pisses me off, is the ones you feel sorry for, help them out and they just stab you in the back. We have this one employee that has been struggling pretty bad. His truck took a dump so we sold him one of our older vans that was in good working order. (He had to put plugs and replace the air filter in two yrs.) Well, fast forward 2 yrs. Just started making payments. ( His X has him all screwed up financially ) He decides that, you know what, this truck isn't so great, it has issues. I think I'll just give it back. WTF!! Our other employee was the one talking to him and kinda mentioned that he was a moron. I guess it sunk in cause he never asked to return the van.

Sleek-Jet
02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I can't wait for the boomers to finally retire for christ sake...
Advancemant in my industry is set in stone right now. If a posistion does come open, the company hires either 1.) a retiree with 40 years of experience that needs "something to do" or 2.) sweetens the pot and brings back recently retired employees on a contract basis to do the duties...
I bust my ass, show up on time, give a high output and high quality of work... there are quite a few people my age that do so as well. It's the slacker "gen-xer" people that just woke up at 30 and think they "deserve" a job that pays 100K that piss me off.

79Challenger
02-14-2007, 01:24 PM
We have a saying around our office... FHA; Fire His Ass. Or in this case, Her Ass.

rampgirl-top
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Damn I hate to hear about these lazy employees, but every company has them. It amazing that we have people that always miss 1-3 days a week, also the girl who only knows one sentance "thats not my job".
Crap I have a good job, and am moving to MS in a month. Been actively searching for a new job in MS since Christmas. I can't imagine ever being one of those slackers.

superdave013
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Yo Holly :D
Post up her photo will ya?
she has to be smokin hot to put up with that shit

SOCALDETAIL1
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I used to get payed good money for going into companies and cleaning house my famous words were "Bet you didn't wake up this morning knowing your ass was going to get fired" I hate lazy people.

CampbellCarl
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
HM...a few years ago had a similar situation. 'Pearl' was usually late for work and when raises came around, I made her raises 'conditional' on her promptness. First full month with no lates = 25 cent raise, second full month = another 25 cents, etc. A month with a late = 0. Thinking back, she came to me after about 6 months and thanked me for helping her undertand what promptness meant.
Carl

SummerBreeze
02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
We have an hourly employee ($12) who comes in and does a bunch of odds and ends. She is not very dependable, but when she shows up atleast she does crappy work (sarcasm). The work she does is not really worth more than what we are paying her - light filing, copying, keeping marketing material stocked, and a few other odds and ends.
Well, she has been wanting a raise for a while, but she calls in sick almost every monday, and many times tuesday. Well, her argument is, if we pay her more money, she will work harder and be more dependable....LOL!!! She also says that not having a job title is very "stressful" to her. I see, instead of working for a raise and prove you are worth it, attempt to hold your employer hostage by doing crappy work unless you get a raise. I wonder how our clients would respond to that kind of reasoning? LOL And not having a title is stressful? C'mon!
vent over. :D
You get paid for the problems your able to solve

HM
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Yo Holly :D
Post up her photo will ya?
she has to be smokin hot to put up with that shit
LOL...well, I didn't hire her. I recently merged with another financial services company and she was there. She is pretty cute for 45. She won't be showing up again, so no chance to take pictures.

Racey
I always find it amusing to see people who think that work is something you do that you don't like so you can get a paycheck. Alot of employees today don't understand that their reason for being there is to benefit the company, otherwise they wouldnt have a job...

OCMerrill
Holy Moly - You just described most of my applicants in the construction Field.
I fired one guy recently for "Missing Tools" and his comment was that and I quote "If you paid me more I could keep track of your tools a little better."
I handed him his final paycheck about 2 hours later.
I now will not hire anyone under 30 years old. It's not my job to re-raise people and cure their parents mistakes. I may have to take it up another 5 years. We will see.

HM
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Most of the business owners here can probably agree with me that we all thought we were GREAT employees because we kicked ass at our job, and took pride in our work. Most of us realized after having our own business that we really were just mediocre as employees....but luckily, everyone else sucked so bad, that we looked really good. It is amazing how perceptions change when you are on the hook for payroll, taxes, expenses, and the future in general.

riverfun
02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
When I worked for my father I asked for a raise and he told me " you're only worth what it cost to replace you." And another friend once told me "15% of all the people in the U.S. are complete and total idiots, and right now we have only 5% unemployment which means every company (including mine) has at least 10% of their staff that is worthless!"

Debbolas
02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Prevously we had 20something's working for us and their lack of motivation was amazing. They would not come in and NOT tell our boss. They would leave early, or if we didin't have kids that day, just sit there and chat:jawdrop:
We just rehired all our tutors/teachers in my room, and they are all over 30and MUCH better motivated workers. They always find something to do, and pretty much very work hard.
I always thought everyone worked as hard as I do, they don't, some just sit around waiting for their coffee break.:jawdrop:

SOCALDETAIL1
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Most of the business owners here can probably agree with me that we all thought we were GREAT employees because we kicked ass at our job, and took pride in our work. Most of us realized after having our own business that we really were just mediocre as employees....but luckily, everyone else sucked so bad, that we looked really good. It is amazing how perceptions change when you are on the hook for payroll, taxes, expenses, and the future in general.
It almost seems that you would have to give a small percent of your company to your employees to make them work with pride. They always say your business is only as good as your employees.

HM
02-14-2007, 02:09 PM
It almost seems that you would have to give a small percent of your company to your employees to make them work with pride. They always say your business is only as good as your employees.
That can work well. I worked for an employee owned company, and for many years, it worked. But the company got pretty big, and a big chunk of the work force decided it didn't mean anything anymore, and was just an over-glorified 401K program.
I did give ownership to my first employee I ever hired...who I fired a year later. It had the opposite effect that I had expected....because she was an owner, she thought it meant she didn't have to work, AND, she thought she was the reason for the company succeeding. Amazingly, it took me all of 1 day to replace her.
Another thing some employees make a mistake with is the attitude that a company can't survive without them. I worked for a company that fired a group of people who had that attitude. Sure, they were important to the company. Amazingly, the company did better without them because their attitude was bringing down the entire company. A long time employee came to me and asked me what was going on because he had never seen a group of people fired before and knew I had the inside scoop on things...and I told him just to remember that the more you think that a company can't do without you, the closer you are to being fired. I winked, and he got it. He almost made that phrase his mantra.

Tremor Therapy
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
You know my situation must be the 1% then. I quit working for the company I now work for 11 years ago. I had a great job at the new company, but they chose to consolidate and move back to Minneapolis, so being a lifetime SoCal guy I chose to stay here. Well my ex-boss found out that the company was moving and offered me my old job back at damn near a 50% raise. In fact after telling me how deplorable my old department had gotten over the past 6 years, he damn near pleaded with me to take the job.
So needing a job, I took it. Well 5 years later I have not had a performance evaluation, and I am not one of the slackers. I get to work early every day, put in the extra time when needed, and I have probably called in sick 10 days over the 5 1/2 years I have been back. But now I am on my sixth year of a payscale freeze, and was told last week that it doesn't look like there will be any raises this year either! My bad for staying here the 5 years, but the procastination of the management here is plain b.s.!

Baja Big Dog
02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Money is not a motavating factor.....

OCMerrill
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Money is not a motivating factor.....
Very true.
Fear of becoming homeless might be. At least it was for me.
Now that I am a business owner I just pay the ones that work well and the others that need a babysitter...I don't.

superdave013
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
lol, I'm looking at a new CNC lathe right now. Was told I'd have to hire a guy just to run it. Well it looks like I'm paying the extra to get one with a sub spindle and a nice bar loader. I'm thinking in the long run it will cost much less then a real person and won't stop for lunch.

Queenbee
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
You know, I've been at my job for 7 years, I have replaced the Controller, receptionist and the CSR and I am now doing all those jobs for the same amount of pay. Plus I commute 1 hour each way to work. I had to leave work yesterday early because my som was sick so now after my kids go to bed I will be making up my hours. And for what? Basically because I feel our customers and our sales reps deserve a person in the company who cares. I have taken college classes to become a better employee (at my own expense), I take work home and do it on my own time (I am hourly and am not allowed any overtime pay.) So......if you're looking to hire, call me....
But some employees want more money and some just want the recognition. I would love to hear "Thank You" just once. 7 years!!!!!!!!! (PS I'm only 30! so I'm one of the young ones some of you are not happy with)

dragboat
02-14-2007, 07:25 PM
That can work well. I worked for an employee owned company, and for many years, it worked. But the company got pretty big, and a big chunk of the work force decided it didn't mean anything anymore, and was just an over-glorified 401K program.
I did give ownership to my first employee I ever hired...who I fired a year later. It had the opposite effect that I had expected....because she was an owner, she thought it meant she didn't have to work, AND, she thought she was the reason for the company succeeding. Amazingly, it took me all of 1 day to replace her.
Another thing some employees make a mistake with is the attitude that a company can't survive without them. I worked for a company that fired a group of people who had that attitude. Sure, they were important to the company. Amazingly, the company did better without them because their attitude was bringing down the entire company. A long time employee came to me and asked me what was going on because he had never seen a group of people fired before and knew I had the inside scoop on things...and I told him just to remember that the more you think that a company can't do without you, the closer you are to being fired. I winked, and he got it. He almost made that phrase his mantra.
I thought it was just me:eek:

BrianB
02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Hire the oldies,that way you wont waste your time trying to bang um.
Another plus is that they"ll tell stories around the water cooler how they would earn $2.75 for bustin rivets all day and the whole world was at war.
"How long have you worked here?"
Last week the boss threatend to fire me