PDA

View Full Version : MC X-15 Wake Performance

skitycoon
02-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I am in the process of shopping for a boat and am looking to get into a decent crossover. I have looked extensively at the Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV, and the MC X-15. Based on quality, space, and function I have narrowed it to the X-15. But I now want to determine if the X-15 is a good choice for the multiple activities that we like to do. We are about a 60/35/5 split between skiing/boarding/tubing, and will throw in surfing this summer when we get the new boat. I have not water tested the boat and likely will not be able to do so before I make a decision.
What I am looking for are opinions on the X-15 'skiability' in the 28-30 mph range for advanced rec skiers. I want to make sure the wake flattens out or even softens up a bit at speed.
Second, are there any opinions on the need for a wake plate to smooth out the ski wake. I have heard from 2 separate, seemingly knowledgeable, dealers saying the hull on the X-15 performs well at both higher and lower (with ballast) speeds and a wake plate is not needed.
Any feedback is appreciated....

steel#1
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Go with X15!!!

Grinnin'B
02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I am in the process of shopping for a boat and am looking to get into a decent crossover. I have looked extensively at the Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV, and the MC X-15. Based on quality, space, and function I have narrowed it to the X-15. But I now want to determine if the X-15 is a good choice for the multiple activities that we like to do. We are about a 60/35/5 split between skiing/boarding/tubing, and will throw in surfing this summer when we get the new boat. I have not water tested the boat and likely will not be able to do so before I make a decision.
What I am looking for are opinions on the X-15 'skiability' in the 28-30 mph range for advanced rec skiers. I want to make sure the wake flattens out or even softens up a bit at speed.
Second, are there any opinions on the need for a wake plate to smooth out the ski wake. I have heard from 2 separate, seemingly knowledgeable, dealers saying the hull on the X-15 performs well at both higher and lower (with ballast) speeds and a wake plate is not needed.
Any feedback is appreciated....
As a dealer.....please check out the Correct Craft 211 or the 236 or potentially the Centurion Enzo 216. There are several quality, performance, and customer value perspectives. The 211 is the only v drive boat certified for both pro wakeboard and pro skiing tournements. The enzo 216 is new and has recieved better reviews than correct craft or mastercraft for boarding and skiing. Both correct craft and centurion have remained commited to performance and overall quality vs interior marketing.
question;why consider a ski boat with no tracking fins????? or pay all the money for a quality manufacturer and does not offer a full floatation hull, or the strutural regidity to support the wide 96 or 103" beam on crossover boats???
You have described your challenge in not water testing.....please please PLEASE load all of the boats you are selecting from and drive them. It just may save you from being a statistic in regretting your "new baby". One more thing, you can tell alot by the occupant and weight capacities in the boat. If they are including full balast or compensate for a wake modification system (wedge) that pulls the boat into the water. either way the safety and design of the boat must compensate for the dispacement hull characteristics that you are creating in the moment. with both correct craft and the enzo the builder has done that so you are relatively care free!!!!
Feel free to pm or blast questions....I am happy to offer my HO....
B
Good luck.....

skitycoon
02-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Grinnin B, thanks for the feedback. Good to hear different perspectives. You are correct in this is a big decision and we don't want to be a stat.
We have been looking at the big 3 but after looking time and again we ruled out the CC because of the lack of depth and cramped feel of the interior. Although we spend pretty much all day playing in the water, as opposed to sitting, we still want a boat that will have the space we need for years to come.
As for the centurion each time I looked at them at the shows they just didn't have the quality feel of the big 3.
I agree with the need to water test, but given its February don't see how I can here in the north. I don't want to wait to long and lose the opportunity for a decent production slot. I would be willing to travel south to water test, but would want to line up a few manufacturers. Not even sure manufacturers would be willing.
Tracking Fins, I am told they are preferred to keep her straight. What other benefits...cornering at speed?
The full floatation hull, help me out here. I haven't discussed that with anyone. What are the benefits?
The structural rigidity...MC seems to beleive their stinger system is on par with any other manufacturer out there.
Again, thanks for the feedback...the more the better.

Grinnin'B
02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
We have been looking at the big 3 but after looking time and again we ruled out the CC because of the lack of depth and cramped feel of the interior.
The 236 is brand new this year!!!! 103" beam and very comfy!!! We only have recieved 2.
As for the centurion each time I looked at them at the shows they just didn't have the quality feel of the big 3.
Again....the 23 enzo is a must to check out. for fit finish and quality it is better than the malibu all day and comperable to the MC
I agree with the need to water test, but given its February don't see how I can here in the north. Not even sure manufacturers would be willing. We do all day long where are you located?
Tracking Fins, I am told they are preferred to keep her straight. What other benefits...cornering at speed?
Please remember your talking about displacement hulls. Without tracking fins the hull slides all over the place....they impact all handleing at anything over 10 mph.
The full floatation hull, help me out here. I haven't discussed that with anyone. What are the benefits?
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY....and $$$$$$ in reduced ins costs
The structural rigidity...MC seems to beleive their stinger system is on par with any other manufacturer out there.
Linear strength is significatnly different than latteral strength especially when impacting wakes, chop and rollers.
Again, thanks for the feedback...the more the better.[/QUOTE]
No worrys... I hope my input offers new light on your process.
B