PDA

View Full Version : MSD Ready to Run

GottaJet
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had the hookup on an MSD ready to run distributor for a Ford 460? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

jbone
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I got my marine version from DANA. No hookup though.
J

Konabud
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I got lucky and bought a lightly used one off of Ebay. Summit carries them, search for MSD 83506. If you don't need a marine RTR (I don't know what the differance is) there's one on Ebay for $306. here's a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-8350-Ford-351C-460-Ready-To-Run-Billet-Distributor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ0 20QQitemZ300078716808QQrdZ1

pw_Tony
02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Go onto summitracing.com. It's hard to beat their prices and shipping dates. I bought for mine the 6al, districutor, and timing curve box all in a kit. you can use the timing curve box for different fuels instead adjusting your distributor. the only odd thing I did is the box kept burning up coils so I bought a cheap E coil from a newer fuel injection truck from NAPA.

GottaJet
02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I saw the marine version at Jeg's for $379 but like Kona said do I really need the marine version and if so what is the differance??:D :confused:

Ken F
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been running a regular one for several years now, and no problems.
If you had an engine hatch where you maintained quite a lot of moisture, possibly. That would be the only reason I could think of.
Ken F

pw_Tony
02-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I have my MSD under my engine hatch and have never had a problem. Even with a little water splashin around it's still thumpin. The only time I had a problem is when I was checking for spark after installing a coil I had a screw driver in the end of a spark plug wire to bridge to block so I could see the spark, next second, BBZZZZZZZZZZ. Oww that really hurt, never doing that again haha

Blown Income
02-15-2007, 09:46 PM
I had a RTR MSD on the first boat, just a mild chevy, and loved it so much I hated to give it back to the guy that loaned it to me,so ihad to buy one. I kept it when I sold the boat and now it lights my blown 502 no problems yet, knock on wood.:D

GottaJet
02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I have my MSD under my engine hatch and have never had a problem. Even with a little water splashin around it's still thumpin. The only time I had a problem is when I was checking for spark after installing a coil I had a screw driver in the end of a spark plug wire to bridge to block so I could see the spark, next second, BBZZZZZZZZZZ. Oww that really hurt, never doing that again haha
I feel you brother :220v: I only had to do that once to learn not to do it again! The old hard way method is still the best teacher I've ever had.:D

GottaJet
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Are these available without the vacuum advance?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/ready2run.jpg
MSD Billet Ready to Run (non marine version)

SmokinLowriderSS
02-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Yea, in the marine version.
The difference is the brass flame-stop screens in the bottom of the housing to prevent a gas fume fire explosion and the USCG leagality due to the above mentioned screens.

Hustler
02-16-2007, 08:04 AM
I thought you were going to run the pertronic's?:confused:

460 jus getn it
02-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Been running the regular for 2 seasons now and no problem.

HammerDown
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I gave the RTR a lot of consideration until, I come to find (if) it stopped working, it had to be sent back to MSD for internal repairs.:rolleyes: At least that's what MSD told me.
Call it primitive but, my Mallory Dual Point never lets me down. Rarely needs adjustment and if it did take a dump, with the spare points or Condenser I can always finish my boating day or get back to the dock. For useage under 6000 RPM or maybe (a bit higher) it's solid as a Rock ;)

wet77
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Hammerdown, its true about points but can you just carry a extra modual for a RTR ? Then it would be as reliable as the points:D

GottaJet
02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
I thought you were going to run the pertronic's?:confused: I think I'm going to take your advice and do it the right way aka the expensive way. So get ready I'm coming over for the install party:D

HammerDown
02-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Hammerdown, its true about points but can you just carry a extra modual for a RTR ? Then it would be as reliable as the points:D
Well I'm not so sure about that..when I spoke with MSD few years ago they said I would have to send it back to them for repair like their Boxes.
Don't know if he was BS'ing me or not but, that killed the deal for me.

79centurion
02-17-2007, 05:50 PM
The module in the RTR dist is a ford module.
Dan