PDA

View Full Version : nitros system

steve paull
02-06-2003, 07:17 PM
got a 26' daycruiser, v-drive, 454bbc. thinking about installing a nitros system to the engine.
can anybody tell me the pros and cons.

Kindsvater Flat
02-06-2003, 07:22 PM
steve paull:
got a 26' daycruiser, v-drive, 454bbc. thinking about installing a nitros system to the engine.
can anybody tell me the pros and cons. Goto my website and there is a short movie called "Hole". It shows a hole in a piston after a 550hp shot of nitrous.

DUCKY
02-06-2003, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't waste the money. The bottle costs about $50 to fill each time and the "seat of the pants adrenaline rush" will be severly hampered bu the size and weight of your boat. My Dad put a 150hp system on his old Hallett '21 round nose (4500lb boat, 427 BBC, v-drive),don't get me wrong, it helped, but it didn't do much. It added about 700rpm and 8 or so mph. On yours, you would probably get half of that. I would save my money and build a blown 572 or something. I now have this system on my 18' v-drive and haven't tried it yet.

GofastRacer
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Also all the stories that nitrous is easy on motors is bullshit, it beats the living shit out of pistons and pins!... eek!

Infomaniac
02-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Building a nitrous engine requires tool steel piston rings.
Wonder why?
Living on borrowed time when using the spray.

GofastRacer
02-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Infomaniac:
Building a nitrous engine requires tool steel piston rings.
Wonder why?
Living on borrowed time when using the spray. No shit huh!.. eek!

69 Elim
02-07-2003, 08:16 AM
I agree with Ducky, nitrous on that big of a boat is a waste. you just won't see that much of a performance gain when on the button and then the bottle is empty. big cruiser like that is gonna take some SERIOUS HP to get it moving. Blown 572 and $$$$$$. hope this helps.

dossangers
02-07-2003, 11:30 AM
GofastRacer:
Also all the stories that nitrous is easy on motors is bullshit, it beats the living shit out of pistons and pins!... eek! Wrong, ask sombody who knows me I used trw forged pistons for five years and ran about 30 bottles! Its not any harder on parts than any race motor but costs alot less to go as fast!

SERIOUS ISSUES
02-07-2003, 02:49 PM
dossangers:
GofastRacer:
Also all the stories that nitrous is easy on motors is bullshit, it beats the living shit out of pistons and pins!... eek! Wrong, ask sombody who knows me I used trw forged pistons for five years and ran about 30 bottles! Its not any harder on parts than any race motor but costs alot less to go as fast! I AGREE. I HAD A 9 SEC. HYDRO AND HAD APROX 250 HP OF NOS. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. KEEP IT RICH AND BACK OF THE TIMING.
I WAS SO HAPPY W/ IT MY WIFE GOT ME A 300HP FOGGER KIT FOR MY NEW HYDRO (X-MAS, GOT TO LOVE HER). ($3500 + FOR A BLOWER OR $450-900 FOR NITROUS). I HAVE RUN BOTH AND WILL GO W/ THE BOTTLE OVER BLOWN GAS. JUST MY .02

stix818
02-07-2003, 03:09 PM
We ran 400 HP nitrous and experienced some pretty interesting stuff. At our first race with it we had problem with the fuel system and we were burning the electrodes completely of the plug. Another time we ran it we pulled a the whole rocker arm tower completey out of the cylinder head. It was pretty violent. We still ran the quarter at 8.90 at 85 MPH.

Hot Shot
02-07-2003, 03:50 PM
We run a serious n2o race motor ... can step it up to around 3,000 Hp BUT, It Was DESIGNED & BUILT For DRAG RACING ONLY!
I personally, don't think anyone should put more than a 100 to 150 shot kit on a lake boat, if they even do that ... you can really screw up an engine quickly by using alot of nitrous. With your size boat, I don't see any real benefit gained by installing a 100 or 150 size kit.
Be better to go with a low boost blower.

SUI-CY-COLE
02-07-2003, 03:53 PM
ha ha ha ha i love that "laughing gas"!!!is it hard on parts??not if its tuned right or built right...............but dont get me wrong a blown alky motor takes the cake.......

ACCEPTENCE
02-07-2003, 05:13 PM
SUI-CY-COLE:
ha ha ha ha i love that "laughing gas"!!!is it hard on parts??not if its tuned right or built right...............but dont get me wrong a blown alky motor takes the cake....... Yes it does and it's damn good cake too :D :D :D

dossangers
02-07-2003, 05:40 PM
ACCEPTENCE:
SUI-CY-COLE:
ha ha ha ha i love that "laughing gas"!!!is it hard on parts??not if its tuned right or built right...............but dont get me wrong a blown alky motor takes the cake....... Yes it does and it's damn good cake too :D :D :D Anybody can build a blown motor but i like pushbutton technoligy hence, space shuttle!! liquid propellants!!

Thunderbutt
02-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Steve, If you go through with the NOS. I've got a Weiand manifold with 2-750 Holleys that is set up for NOS. All plunbing hidden under the manifold. I'll make you a deal

Sangerboy
02-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Nitrous may be hard on parts when inhaled by the engine but it sure mellows the mind when inhaled by a person. wink

Infomaniac
02-08-2003, 04:25 PM
That is for when you run out of beer.

baracuda
02-08-2003, 07:29 PM
nos-cheap if you do it the right, i-got a
170# bottle in my gar-full my own,don't pay big money for it ,get it
form a dist.you have to put a deposit on the bottle but,it's about 15$ a bottle to fill your
own.
barracuda

GofastRacer
02-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Infomaniac:
That is for when you run out of beer. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

93eliminator
02-08-2003, 09:15 PM
i used it on my jet the motor was nothing special a stock lower end bbf 429.I ran a 100 hp shot it was fun to use added about 400 rpm and 8 mph.
Before i installed it i heard every horror stories but alot came from people who have never ran a nos unit(but thought they knew about it).I put it on to be curious and try it result i loved it.The refills ran me about 30 bucks they can run from 30-50 bucks depends where you go.
The thing i like about it is that you know about what hp you are getting now how much is it going to cost you to get 100 hp from engine mods?(alot) and if you dont get much improvement in speed money wasted right?nos will run you about 3-500.00and if you dont get the results you wanted well it didnt break you in the pocket.if you like the results you can later move to engine mods.
One of the most important things with nos is FUEL.to little well see kindsvetr flats movie clip(i havent seen it yet).And for starters keep the system small 100 hp and under and enjoy.When you get into more hp150 and up the more attention your motor demands,fuel,timing,etc.I have also ran several bottles thru my motor i would get about 1.5-2 min time per bottle.
I think it is the best hp per dollar going.Like someone said earlier it cost big bucks to build a hi hp motor and even those dont last forever with nitrous YOU control when you use it (and it is not used continuosly)
Think of nos as a small part time blower!And dont complain when you run someone and your bottle runs empty because it will happen.
AKA 77charger(a former nos user and jet boat owner)
[ February 08, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: 93eliminator ]