PDA

View Full Version : jeep advice...not a rhino!

seanv
02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
i just got a 81 cj5 from a down n out co-worker. the gave me so many extras it was hard to turn down. it has A rebuilt amc 390, 4spd manual, 20 series t-case and 20 series rear. runs so super strong but, has issues. anyone been here and know what NOT to do? i was looking into a th350 conversion, remove 3" body lift and do a 4" spring kit and just clean it up.

Paulie
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
i just blew the motor in my cj5 im curious as the what people think

seanv
02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
after the research ive done, in your case i'ld do the 350/350 swap and be able to get parts.

Mandelon
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Calling Sportin Wood, calling Sportin Wood, Wood come in please...:)

Sportin' Wood
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes ?
If its a 390, sell it. Some AMC hotrod guy would likely want that for his AMX.
If its a punched out 360. I'd run that. Maybe a t-18 or t-19 transmission. with granny low. Thats a great tranny. If its a T-4 you'll likley break it if you run it hard.
As far as the 350/350 swap its an easy conversion if your a a fair wrench and parts are cheaper for GM's. The AMC motors are not bad I like them.
The rear end will need to be addressed.
I suggest if you are going to mildly wheel it to just make sure you keep the large nut on the end on the rear axle real tight. Other wise do an axle conversion to a flanged axle shaft. You can get what you need from Alloy or Rock Buggy Supply .com.
You might upgrade both axles all together for a set of dana 44's but the front dana 30 will hold up fine with a 32" tire. I have run 35's on them but could break the shafts at will.
Fun cars good luck. Pm me if you have any questions I will try and answer them best I can. If this is your first jeep see if you can find Granville King's book. I don't remember the title but its kinda like the " Keep your VW alive" book but for Jeeps and that is a jeep that is coverd well in the book. It was written in the 80's I think.

Sportin' Wood
02-15-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/index.php
This guy is the AMC motor god.
You can unload the 390 there if you want or learn how to make it scream.:D

seanv
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
thanks sportin' . it's a 30 over 390 with an old offy intake and edelbrock 4bbl carb. i lean in and hit the key n this things purrin'. i dont know if i want to loose that just yet. my goal at this point is to make it a reliable daily rig and light wheelin rig. all the places i would go would be dirt roads, forest svc roads and such. i wouldnt be jumping or rock climbing it at all. it rolls on 33/11.50's now and thats big enough for me. the trans is the granny 1st gear item but, im the lazy type and want an automatic. plus i think it takes some of the shock off the rest of the drive train.
thanks for the input and the offer of advice.:D

Sportin' Wood
02-15-2007, 03:58 PM
thanks sportin' . it's a 30 over 390 with an old offy intake and edelbrock 4bbl carb. i lean in and hit the key n this things purrin'. i dont know if i want to loose that just yet. my goal at this point is to make it a reliable daily rig and light wheelin rig. all the places i would go would be dirt roads, forest svc roads and such. i wouldnt be jumping or rock climbing it at all. it rolls on 33/11.50's now and thats big enough for me. the trans is the granny 1st gear item but, im the lazy type and want an automatic. plus i think it takes some of the shock off the rest of the drive train.
thanks for the input and the offer of advice.:D
Look into a TF 909 or 999. I'm not real up on 390's but I know they are not bad motors, sounds like your gets it. You would have to do a little research on the bell housing bolt pattern but I have a TF 999 bolted to my 304 and the 304,360, and 401 are all the same. I would assume that the 390 falls in there as well. You can also bolt a Dana 300 Tranfercase to the TF999 with out an adapter.
If you like the GM 350 trans www.rockbuggysupply.com has the hookup on advanceadapters price and can get an adapter to mate what you have now to the motor. Scott is a wizard at mating different parts together.
You can move the granny tranny on ebay or pirate 4x4 if you don't want a stick. it a popular item.
I'm a auto fan also.

seanv
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
a 999 huh? that would be cool if it all bolted up! what year 999 did you go with? im a dodge parts guy so....:D and yes from what i've learned the 304-401 all had the same pattern. thanks sean

Sportin' Wood
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
a 999 huh? that would be cool if it all bolted up! what year 999 did you go with? im a dodge parts guy so....:D and yes from what i've learned the 304-401 all had the same pattern. thanks sean
Mine is a Culhanes built race trans, I'm not sure which year it is out of. Scott at RBS has a book I believe that shows what works with what.
I think without looking at a reference the early YJ with a 258 or 4.2 had that trans as an option. The 4.2 has the same bolt pattern
I would call Scott he has an answer likely off the top of his head.
951-926-1142.

seanv
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
right on thanks!:D

BajaMike
02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
i just got a 81 cj5 from a down n out co-worker. the gave me so many extras it was hard to turn down. it has A rebuilt amc 390, 4spd manual, 20 series t-case and 20 series rear. runs so super strong but, has issues. anyone been here and know what NOT to do? i was looking into a th350 conversion, remove 3" body lift and do a 4" spring kit and just clean it up.
Pictures???
:idea:

seanv
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
yes yes yes i know this is useless w/o pics. i'll get some up soon.