PDA

View Full Version : paint question

jetboat
02-16-2007, 08:34 AM
when painting ghoast flames,whats the mixture between clear and base,and do you use pearls or can you use base paint?

pw_Tony
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
When painting ghost flames use the clear for the flames. You only need a little pearl in the clear, depending on how bad you want them to show. Little pearl very light ghost flames, alot of pearl makes it pretty obvious to see.
After spraying the base coat mask out your flame design.
Then mix the amount of desired pearl, I don't know exact measurements but a little pearl can do alot, trust me haha.
Spray the clear in the masked out area, let it hard for an hour or two(call the clear manufacture for exact time) and then slightly wet sand the edges of the flames to get rid of the ridge, and go over the flames themselves a little.
Then clear the whole boat.
Within two days you should wet sand and buff the whole boat before the clear gets too hard. Otherwise it takes a number of different grits to use, like many people do when restoring.
Don't wax it for a week or two.
Theres all different colors of pearl you can use, most people just use the white pearl cause it's ghost looking. And when they spray the edges of the flames they get a little closer than the rest of the flames so the pearl is denser on the edges, so it shows more.
But you can also get different colors like reds and blues so when at certain angles of the sun hits it the flames whip out. The favorite ones I did were on my buddys bright red dually. We gave it some ghost scallops with blue pearl and sometimes it just hits people haha.
Goodluck

jetboat
02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
thanks,that was simple and dirrect.understod it completly.now ill just do it!.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
When painting ghost flames use the clear for the flames. You only need a little pearl in the clear, depending on how bad you want them to show. Little pearl very light ghost flames, alot of pearl makes it pretty obvious to see.
After spraying the base coat mask out your flame design.
Then mix the amount of desired pearl, I don't know exact measurements but a little pearl can do alot, trust me haha.
Spray the clear in the masked out area, let it hard for an hour or two(call the clear manufacture for exact time) and then slightly wet sand the edges of the flames to get rid of the ridge, and go over the flames themselves a little.
Then clear the whole boat.
Within two days you should wet sand and buff the whole boat before the clear gets too hard. Otherwise it takes a number of different grits to use, like many people do when restoring.
Don't wax it for a week or two.
Theres all different colors of pearl you can use, most people just use the white pearl cause it's ghost looking. And when they spray the edges of the flames they get a little closer than the rest of the flames so the pearl is denser on the edges, so it shows more.
But you can also get different colors like reds and blues so when at certain angles of the sun hits it the flames whip out. The favorite ones I did were on my buddys bright red dually. We gave it some ghost scallops with blue pearl and sometimes it just hits people haha.
Goodluck
He is 100% on the money!! I would mix up a small batch of clear with pear and test it on a painted piece. That will give you a better idea on how much is needed;)

CVX20Dustin
02-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Some paint lines have a mid base coat that pearl can be added to so you dont have to wait you can clear right away.