PDA

View Full Version : Any Calif DMV employees here?

moneypit
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
I bought a one week old KTM 07' 525 exc from a friend who bought it at Berts in Calif. My brother in Law bought the same bike. I bought it from him because he just injured his knee... I figured that I would just go to DMV and have it transferred over in my name and the sticker and plates would be re-issued to me. (The selling point of this bike is that its suppossed to be street legal)
I have already yanked off the smog crap and had it re-jetted. I went to DMV today and the employee re-registered it in my name and handed me a green sticker. "I said where's my license plate information?". He said that the only thing I could get on this bike is a Green sticker and that the bike is not a street legal bike. I said that he was mistaken... So, he re-looked it up on the their website and he explained that the VIN number is what shows how the bike is to be registered. I told him how my brother has the same bike and bought it at the same time and it was licensed. He said that is wrong also and went on to say that any bike bought from a dealership is only to be registered as an offroad bike. He then said that in order for it to be registerd on the road that it would have to be brought to DMV and they would look at the bike to see if it meets Calif. requirements. At that point my Jaw hit the counter and he gave me a look like..."think im wrong"? I was fuming at that point.
This is the reason I bought this bike.. So I could ride it on the street and now I have a DMV emp telling me that I have to bring the bike down..??
When I bought the bike from my friend, he had not got any other licensing paper work. Only the pink slip... I will admit I waited to months to go and make the transfer.
So what the hell? Did the dealership screw up when they originally registered this bike and not my brothers????
Im thinking Im going to have to put the smog canister and junk back on the bike and take it down there...
Any infomation or input would be appreciated.

Hustler
02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
DMV is being a pain in the ass. The 07 EXC models are street legal from the factory. You may have to put the smog crap back and take the bike down there. You may also want to contact the dealer your buddy got it from and tell them whats going on, they may be able to help you out. I really hate the Ca DMV.

YeLLowBoaT
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Call the local CHP office and speak with the guy that deals with that shit... DMV employees are known for not knowing the law.

SummitKarl
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
If I remember right there is a digit in the VIN that tells them street legal or not
you most likely will have to go through a inspection some of the things required are
Battery
lights front and rear (that run off the battery) even when the bike is not running, including a brake light
Horn
one rear view mirror (above the left side handle grip)
I think turn siginals where optional but were required to run at night
and I think at one time it was metal only allowed gas tank

moneypit
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Call the local CHP office and speak with the guy that deals with that shit... DMV employees are known for not knowing the law.
I have a few CHP's as patients I will ask them.. I never knew that CHP had anything to do with this area..:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Its only a few guys... its the ones that deal with inspections that know that shit...all the other guys will say " I'm not trained in that so I would rather not say"
you will most likly be bounce around all over the place til you find the right person.

moneypit
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Its only a few guys... its the ones that deal with inspections that know that shit...all the other guys will say " I'm not trained in that so I would rather not say"
you will most likly be bounce around all over the place til you find the right person.
One of them runs a truck inspection scale... etc. Im sure he could help if I dont get any answers from the Dealership..
Battery
lights front and rear (that run off the battery) even when the bike is not running, including a brake light
Horn
one rear view mirror (above the left side handle grip)
I think turn siginals where optional but were required to run at night
I have all that stuff..

CA Stu
02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
One of them runs a truck inspection scale... etc. Im sure he could help if I dont get any answers from the Dealership..
I have all that stuff..
Go back to Bert's and let them help you, they'll have all the proper paperwork.
You just got an ignoramus at the DMV counter.
They live for paperwork and drama, some of them on their power trips....
Thanks
CA Stu

al cole'holic
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
..was it the balding bastard at the corner desk?? :mad:

BoatPI
02-16-2007, 02:02 PM
You may have one easy way out of this. Go to Berts and speak to the DMV perosn. Hopefully that use the dealer counter at their local DMV. Have them contact that person (DMV) and explain. That DMV employee that is "in the know", will assist you.
Hopefully you do have the correct street legal model. The employee you spoke with is correct that if you do not have the correct VIn digit, all you need to do is add the items that someone mentioned eariler and take it to the DMV to have it inspected.

moneypit
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
..was it the balding bastard at the corner desk?? :mad:
corner desk yes... I think you might be right.... it was a guy that looked like a woodshop teacher and breathe to match it.

YeLLowBoaT
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Atleast it was not the 5' 200lb women with 3 ft wide hips and a but that bigger then a buick...

DMVQUEEN
02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Unfortunatly, it sounds like when the bike was originally titled, they screwed up and put it as an off road green sticker.
I really doesn't matter who screwed up, the problem is now you have to fix it.
You will have to have a verification either from DMV or from CHP that it is in fact a street legal bike.
I know it sucks, but even if DMV made the error from the start, you have to fix their mistake.
I know, I know, I know, everyone hates the DMV.
That's why I don't deal with them anymore:eek:
Sara out

thumbs
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
You will probably need to put everything back on to make it street legal again and then take it to DMV or a CHP officer for verification. They will also check your emissions sticker to make sure it says "For street use".
The emissions sticker is what will get you the plate.

moneypit
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
thank you.

Ziggy
02-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Unfortunatly, it sounds like when the bike was originally titled, they screwed up and put it as an off road green sticker.
It really doesn't matter who screwed up, the problem is now you have to fix it.You will have to have a verification either from DMV or from CHP that it is in fact a street legal bike.
I know it sucks, but even if DMV made the error from the start, you have to fix their mistake.
I know, I know, I know, everyone hates the DMV.
That's why I don't deal with them anymore:eek:
Sara out
We deal with that on a daily basis...........You can prove with all the paperwork you want they still make you jump thru hoops to fix their errors. Its amazing how much paperwork it takes to correct even a name misspelling.:rolleyes:
My first question would have been why you didn't have any registration info with the bike when you bought it from your friend? That might have clued you in right away what type of Reg it had.
Verification will likely be the route you need to take.

Second "PLACE"
02-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a 2006 KTM 450EXC that I purchased new last year in Utah with a street license plate. (the reason I purchased out of state) I made a very simple transfer to California plates via my local AAA office. They performed a VIN verification to make sure that the frame and engine numbers matched.
I was issued a California plate after the inspection on the spot. Done Deal.
The bike has nothing more added other than a brake light switch to be "Utah street legal". I paid $7508.62 OTD....roughly $2000.00 LESS than the crooks at BERT's quoted me. :mad: Well worth the drive IMO.
The mistake at DMV should be revesable, especially on an '07....do you still have the plate or was it surrendered for the green sticker already?

OCMerrill
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Atleast it was not the 5' 200lb women with 3 ft wide hips and a but that bigger then a buick...
She works at every government office there is. Amazing how she gets around.:D

Longtime Lurker
02-16-2007, 06:24 PM
If you're a member of AAA, go there. They tend to work with their clients a lot more than DMV will. When my wife was doing DMV work for AAA she had a lot of run ins with DMV. Let me know where you're located, I'll ask the wife if she knows any good AAA people in your area.
Robert

bwillieb
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
............You stand a better chance of reasoning this out if you call directly to DMV in Sacramento..........you need to talk to a manager...........try Cecilia Magdelano a Veh. Reg. Mgr.......at.......916- 657-8035......or.....Audrey..at.....916 657-7072....she may even be over the managers?.... She is more over the "We're gonna cancel your registration, cuz you dropped your insurance program".....but....... She may be able to do you some good?.............

KreatinKaos
02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I doubt you'll find a DMV employee on here ... I've yet to see one smart enough to use a computer :devil:

al cole'holic
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
corner desk yes... I think you might be right.... it was a guy that looked like a woodshop teacher and breathe to match it.
..I hate that bastard with a passion, everytime I title a new bike he can't seem to remember that he just did one for me the previous month and it turns into a mess!! :mad:

moneypit
02-17-2007, 09:20 AM
my brother and the guy I bought the bike from purchased the bikes at the same time. My brother got his tags and plates... The guy I bought it from never got them.. I figured no biggy since I would have re register it. Ultimately I feel Berts f'd up originally and I may have to get it done myself. I would like to avoid DMV though, with the attitude I got already, I don't see it being an easy process with them. I will look to AAA and CHP first. Thank you for your help.

al cole'holic
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
my brother and the guy I bought the bike from purchased the bikes at the same time. My brother got his tags and plates... The guy I bought it from never got them.. I figured no biggy since I would have re register it. Ultimately I feel Berts f'd up originally and I may have to get it done myself. I would like to avoid DMV though, with the attitude I got already, I don't see it being an easy process with them. I will look to AAA and CHP first. Thank you for your help.
..if you've got paperwork done and just need some inspections and sign off's, try AAA first..if you need CHP inspection call the Moorpark CHP and make an appointment with Officer Todd Wonders. :)

moneypit
02-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Cool thanks.. I will let you know what happens...
Im still going to ride the machine and play dumb... At least its insured. :D Who'd a figured?? Insuring a street bike that I cant even ride on the street?
BTW,I found the CARB sticker on the bike that basically says this bike is ready for California streets out of the box.:jawdrop:

bwillieb
02-18-2007, 12:06 PM
......Because there is no smog check on motorcycles, and if you can resolve this through the AAA with a CHP vin check, putting the S. equip back may be a non issue.............if all else fails keep the Audrey number in mind, she does have the power of reversal............ (at the administrative level the DMV seems to respond to the term "class action law suit"..........if you can show that both motor cycles are vin numbered....as streetable,...that is your leverage..................

thumbs
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
BTW,I found the CARB sticker on the bike that basically says this bike is ready for California streets out of the box.:jawdrop:
That's what's going to get you the plate. Good deal.

MR.rvrluvr
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
ok you have decribed about 99% of the women at the DMV