PDA

View Full Version : I finally see why this issue is touchy

a catered life
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
My job just dropped to a all time low on the support of education scale:( ....while i generally stay away from much of the immigration stuff and i am not really sure where i stand on the topic, i will say that speaking english should be one of the goals for anyone who wants to make it in the country and state:idea: ....my job just hired a woman that doesn't speak a word of english:confused: and we work for a public school system:( ....wtf:confused: my staff's main job is to make sure that the kids are offered a healthy lunch...if a kid want to know what something is (sugar content, vegetarian selection, no wheat options, no peanuts, etc) this lady can't even answer or understand anything....if a child wants only the vegetarian selection for the day this lady cant understand that....the lady couldn't even introduce herself to me when she arrived at my site she had a family member bring her, introduce her, and wanted to stay for a while to make sure she understood what to do..i said to the family member that this is a commerical kitchen and there is a need for everyone to understand some basic english for the safety of other workers, herself and the kids i am responseable for and at this time i do not feel she is able to work at this site.....one of the statements in our mission statement is that "every child that graduates from high school will be a good communicator and have the skills to maintain in society"...wtf :sqeyes: good communicator...how can you expect a child to be something when the adults they communicate to can't even speak back to them.....:( this is total BS :mad: our kids deserve to be treated with more respect and superintents and board should make sure that all staff have the ability to communicate with the kids they serve...:mad:

seanv
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
that sux!!!!!

lewiville
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Harumfffff!

YeLLowBoaT
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Time to start calling the local news stations...or let a member of the PTA know about it and let them go to the super/ news stations. I know from recent exp, threating to get a lawyer does not do shit, neither does talking to the board of ed... but when you say I'm going to call the local news stations... they are suddenly so nice...Its kind of funny how that works. We have family freinds that were( retired) supers/ directors of this school district( lived next door to my grand parents for 40+ years) they have always said, if you ever get the news envoled or get 50 mad parents in thier office, they will always do what you want... They were right.
I had a prob with the bus leaving my 9 year old border line special ed cousin that lives with me ( temperally while her mom is going true medical issuses) at the school... once was too much... 5 x in two months is a joke. Lets just say that the super, the board, the director of elemertry schools, head of transperation all know my name and voice and will get out of meetings to talk to me...

jbone
02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
If I were the supervisor, or peer for that matter, I would give the instructions or tasks in English. Obviously, this person wouldn't have a clue as to what they need to do. Therefore, this person will be unable to meet the expectations.
J

a catered life
02-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Time to start calling the local news stations...or let a member of the PTA know about it and let them go to the super/ news stations. I know from recent exp, threating to get a lawyer does not do shit, neither does talking to the board of ed... but when you say I'm going to call the local news stations... they are suddenly so nice...Its kind of funny how that works. We have family freinds that were( retired) supers/ directors of this school district( lived next door to my grand parents for 40+ years) they have always said, if you ever get the news envoled or get 50 mad parents in thier office, they will always do what you want... They were right.
I had a prob with the bus leaving my 9 year old border line special ed cousin that lives with me ( temperally while her mom is going true medical issuses) at the school... once was too much... 5 x in two months is a joke. Lets just say that the super, the board, the director of elemertry schools, head of transperation all know my name and voice and will get out of meetings to talk to me...
i was thinking about bring this up with the site pta

SummitKarl
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
ACL...want to bet they expect you to learn spanish:jawdrop: :hammer2:

Biglue
02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
At least you'll be serving up some hella beans and rice. :D

a catered life
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
ACL...want to bet they expect you to learn spanish:jawdrop: :hammer2:
SK you might be right but i barely passed it in high school :eek: and dropped it in college :( so they might want to rethink that plan:D

YeLLowBoaT
02-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Something else to think about... if osha/ bored of health comes along and every thing is not posted in both english and spanish now... your going to get dinged... since this is a school they will most likly not fire the person, but will spend thousand redoing all the warning signs...

SummitKarl
02-16-2007, 03:02 PM
SK you might be right but i barely passed it in high school :eek: and dropped it in college :( so they might want to rethink that plan:D
Jbone is right....and yes it is a safety hazard, if she truely can't speak english
try.......FIRE!!!, yes a unplanned fire drill will make your point or confirm she does speak english:idea:

KreatinKaos
02-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Is she hot ?:D

Racey
02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Enchilladas today kids!!!! :D

Wheeler
02-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Is she hot ?:D
This is, Funny!

Ziggy
02-16-2007, 08:22 PM
ACL brings up a valid and serious issue and unless concerned parents or employees like himself try to make a difference its only going to get worse.
I'd certainly tell the PTA and any other parent that cares about it.
And making jokes about it are immature guys......:rolleyes: c'mon! We're talking about the welfare of children and the safety of workers.

melbatoast
02-16-2007, 08:38 PM
if you get fifty parents to confront the admin. you must know that three times that will show up in support of her. Maybe even in one car.

a catered life
02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
ACL brings up a valid and serious issue and unless concerned parents or employees like himself try to make a difference its only going to get worse.
I'd certainly tell the PTA and any other parent that cares about it.
And making jokes about it are immature guys......:rolleyes: c'mon! We're talking about the welfare of children and the safety of workers.
finally someone who see's my point